Thinking serious about the new AMG GTS | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Thinking serious about the new AMG GTS

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by BurakUsta, Jan 11, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    i bought one delivery tomorrow will post next week opinions

i did drive one it is hella fast, completely different persona i call it my German Dodge Viper

2. Trincap

Trincap Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2010
    NorCal
    Lot of strange claims in this thread. For the record, I have both the GTS and the 488 (plus a bunch of 458/spyders/Speciale). It's really apples and oranges.
    The GTS is really just a German hot rod. It's loud. . .very loud. It's raucus. And it's tons of fun. But it drives like a hot rod. Lots of burbles and cracks and pops in the exhaust. I don't know where the "massive turbo lag" thing comes from. It's simply not true. It's really great on the track as well.
    As a touring gt? Well, it's not that comfortable and the engine is quite loud. I'd rather drive a 911 long distance of two hours+. But I'd rather drive the GTS to work everyday. Of course, I'd rather drive an ff or f12 long distance over all of these.
    Oh and you will never be confused with an slk. That's silly. Maybe the batmobile.
    The sounds system is meh. The electronics are great but complicated. It's extremely fast and the gear box is crisp although not lightning fast as a Ferrari.
    It's a very good car and I prefer it to the 911 I got rid of. But naturally it's not a 458. Wasn't meant to be.
    P.S. Mine came with ceramic brakes, I know you just trying to make a sale but come on, use facts.

3. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    agree with everything here except the shifts in race mode are spot on as fast as my 2013 458 spider

i also think it is much more fun to drive i cannot explain why because the handling characteristics are totally different than the 458. maybe it is just the newness but the sound is exhilarating... more of a growl but is more melodic when up above 4000rpm

i have the pano roof so it feels like an open top with the windows down

i have the 4500 upgraded stereo it is extremely good

negatives are the interior is snug, moreso than the Ferrari, you really feel like you are in a race car because of the lack of space tbh

visibility is much better than a huracan but the blind spot assist option is a must imho

it is also rock solid no creaks or rattles... but that might not be a fair comparison coupe to spider

overall i am happy and do not miss my 458 spider one bit, this car gets just as much attention probably because it is new. maybe in a year it may be more common.

a bonus is i don't worry about the car probably because it was less than half the price of the ferrari... i throw my keys to the valet and enjoy my night out... they still keep it up front :)

4. Trincap

Trincap Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2010
    NorCal
    I get more attention in the GTS then a 458. Yet to see another one on the road.
    The stereo? Well it's not the quality of the stereo that's the problem, it's the engine noise. I mean it's not useless but it's not Lexus either.
    Visibility isn't bad but it's an eyebrow of glass rather then a long sloop of glass. Not as bad as an f-type (truly the worst) or camaro but not as open as a Ferrari.
    You will get one creak though. Front suspension. Going over a speed bump to angled driveway you are going to get a loud crack or thunk. Sounds like you break something like an arm or something. Don't worry. It's nothing and happens to everyone. They can fix it at the dealer by redoing some bolts but I didn't even bother and it seems to be a little quieter at least.

5. HMS

HMS Formula 3

Dec 12, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Zack Sursio
    I had an SLS and it was a nightmare. Always at the dealer with issues. Not even fun to drive really. I think they fixed the issues with the AMG GTS.

6. abdulla.alhajri

abdulla.alhajri Karting

Jul 16, 2015
    Srange to hear you say that since i have owned a 2012 SLS for 3+ years and the only issue I had was engine missfire and it happened once only.

7. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    Where is the Mercedes forum, you guys seem to be lost in the Ferrari section ...