F355 rims. Need refinishing. $800/all. Sacramento | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F355 rims. Need refinishing. $800/all. Sacramento

Discussion in 'Ad Archives' started by carwhisperer, Nov 7, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. madturk

madturk Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    Williston, ND
    Full Name:
    Seyhan Kilincci
    Sorry my last comment was on this clipped the wrong post.

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The bubbling here is bad news....

The Factory coating doesn't bubble, so these are ALREADY refinished, by someone with no clue how the treat the alloy.

I sanded my wheels all weekend, I am quailifed to respond here!!
    :D :D

3. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    How about a Pope Keychain??
    :D :D D

4. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    This thread was a funny read....what I find most funny is that someone would even entertain buying these wheels for $1600. Buy the time they are finished properly and I say properly, these wheels will come to around 2.5gs. Hardly worth it when a good set can be had for that price or slightly more. As for them not being bent....yeh ok.

5. malex

malex Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2007
    FL
    If done properly, your price to properly refinish might even be slightly light. On the other hand, in this market where people seem to be asking (and occasionally getting) high prices for a lot of things (e.g. 348/355 Challenge wheels), when's the last time that you saw refinished 355 wheels - we'll assume for now that they're straight - for $2500 "or slightly more"? Fwiw, ask on eBay for a set seems to start at ~$3200.

6. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Man, this is the second time such a thing has gone on here and both times on 355 wheels. Completely bad form all the way around by seller AND buyer who offered more after a deal was met with the first party.

And everyone ripped CNC for something that went on with a 575M they bought but somehow this is okay.

Sometimes, I don't get this place. What happened to people's integrity and depth of character?

7. madturk

madturk Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    Williston, ND
    Full Name:
    Seyhan Kilincci
    Right, you could buy my perfect 355 rims for $3500:)

8. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Not exactly bad form on the buyers part. When the seller realized he had others in line at 800 if the deal fell though. He PMed all of us asking us to make higher offers since there was so much interest.

So he had already cut out of the deal he made and started soliciting higher offers.

9. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Okay. That's better. I thought it was a case like the challenge wheels whereby people, after seeing that Malex was first in line and offered full asking, then proceeded to knowingly, blatantly, and deliberately outbid him via pm. I thought that was horrible and they were just as much to blame as the seller.

10. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    The CNC deal came to mind immediately when I read what the seller had done. Like I said, F-Chat needs a transaction feedback forum. Guess I'll start keeping notes since it would be nice to know this stuff about sellers.

+1000 on the character/integrity comment. On the plus side, someone here offered a shift knob last night and it was purchased immediately. The seller commented that he must have priced it too low, but he did *not* instigate a bidding war. So some people still value their word...

11. Robbe

Robbe Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2013
    The Netherlands
    I agree that it is not very nice to back out of a deal at this level, and I myself would not have felt comfortable doing that.
    A transaction feedback forum is nice, but think about this: People with many transaction most likely know the prices well. In this case the seller did not, and most likely does not know the prices well because he would not have sold much before. And therefore would not have much feedback.
    About prices of wheels, if 800 was not such a great buy according to some, why would all those others be waiting to buy them...
    Madturk is offering a great set for 3500, and assuming he is offering realistically, 800 and even 1600 is not expensive...but you will have to deal with the hassle of having them refinished etc. Personally I have no problem with that, but many F owners will think otherwise.

12. TonyC355gts

TonyC355gts Karting

Aug 15, 2009
    Metro, New York
    Full Name:
    Tony C
    The shop wanted 350 to strip and paint each rim and 450 if the undercoating was removed as he said that would cause the paint to bubble up which was visible in the photos. So at 800 + roughly 150 to ship I would have been at 2750 for a fresh set but at 1600 just not worth the investment.

13. cgfen

cgfen Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2015
    vista ca
    that's not cool.
    bad form on the seller's part no doubt.
    i retract my earlier "defense" of his actions.

14. awilson

awilson Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2013
    Annapolis Md
    Full Name:
    Andrew G. Wilson,II
    not cool seller

15. tr512

tr512 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2007
    canada burnaby bc
    Full Name:
    Michael
    So they want $1400 and maybe more to strip and paint four rims..thats crazy.Anybody who pays that needs to have his head checked.
    I've had many rims repaired and painted $150 to $200 each and thats CDN.
    It would be alot cheaper to ship your rim's to Canada to get done.Remember your great exchange rate to boot.

16. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

You know these are magnesium, right? You have to take extra care to strip and repaint magnesium. Anyone who treats magnesium like ordinary aluminum wheels "needs to have his head checked." I don't think that price is untoward for magnesium wheels.

17. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I don't want to muddy this thread, but bare stripping is a very involved process, and care should be taken in repainting the Ferrari alloy castings.

On the older Ferraris, I use a document called "Coatings of magnesium alloy for aerospace applications".....

But these are not "aluminum wheels", at least the older cars are not.
    Powder coat baking is a bad idea also....

Carry on!

18. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Magnesium/aluminum alloy.
    The actual content can vary, between a gearbox like Napolis deals with, to the wheels themselves..

It's in the primer, really.

Zinc Chromate is the first step, and it's a unique green color.
    I leave it exposed on the bolt flange, "just because".....

:D :D :D

19. tr512

tr512 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2007
    canada burnaby bc
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Don't worry i know what what there made of.I just sold three spare Murcielago rims i had two had deep curb road rash total Quote for repair and paint $460.00 for all three.

20. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    It's impossible to get these wheels refinished for that low, doing it the proper way that is. Stripping them bare requires Dow 7 before primer. The amount of work is extensive to refinish them properly.

21. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Newer method is to strip to the original primer with dry ice blasting so you do not need to visit the entire conversion coating process or use it as little as possible.

Not many stripping methods can prepare alum or magnesium as good as a fresh cast part that's finished under OEM control.

22. madturk

madturk Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    Williston, ND
    Full Name:
    Seyhan Kilincci
    That makes my $3500 wheels sound like a great deal.
    Just to steal business away from this guy I'll let go my wheels for $3000(wheels only).

23. tr512

tr512 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2007
    canada burnaby bc
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Ok
    Pay what you like..everyone that lives in Vancouver knows the place's i'm talking about to get there rims done. i'm sorry its the going price they charge.Like i said had many rims painted over the years never had a problem.Some may be abit more but never $450 USD or $600 CDN a rim.

24. Robbe

Robbe Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2013
    The Netherlands
    it is true that magnesium needs to be treated very carefully as it is sacrifial to most other metals, and just applying an etchprimer on freshly blasted magnesium will not work (bubbling).
    First preparing with Dow 7 or comparable as MCJoe says is needed, but any really decent shop should know that and do it that way.
    It may be an extra prep, so more costly, but it would not take more than 30 minutes or so each wheel, and would not add up immensely to the total costs.

25. f360nh

f360nh Karting

Apr 12, 2014
    NH
    Full Name:
    John Q.
    Hi Michael, where is this great land of wheel refinishing? :) In the US locations most places charge $250/regular wheel for refinishing. Would love to find something more cost effective (you're listing $150 CDN/wheel which is amazing).