I think I totally screwed up | FerrariChat

I think I totally screwed up

Discussion in '360/430' started by yangstein, Nov 8, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. yangstein

yangstein Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Dearest chat members,

I noticed "check engine light" while I was driving. Stopped, restarted the engine and everything seeled fine but the light wouldn't go off. Got back home ASAP and checked the oil dip and it showed very low... Went out, bought SAE 5-40 as recommended, poured into the ingine... It started with a little hesitation but the light would not go off... And smoke is coming out of exhaust... A typical signal of too much oil.. I put 3 quartz...

Should I try to take some oil out of the car? Or I should just take it to the mechanics?

I am in a panic mode.... Help...

2. Temuri

Temuri Karting

Apr 12, 2011
    Moscow
    Full Name:
    Temuri
    i had the the same thing. First of all the oil level should be checked when the car is on and 80c temperature is reached.
    You should take the oil out. The oil is burning in exhaust system. Take it to the mechanics.
    No damage if you don't drive.

3. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Always check the oil with engine running!!!!!

Take it your mechanic and have them Adrian the oil and set the proper level.

Lesson learned, move on.

4. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    The golden rule: When there is a CEL, READ CODE FIRST! I always carry a Scanner/code reader in the boot. It's a mandatory piece of equipment for the 360. :)

5. yangstein

yangstein Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I could start the engine and everything seems to be fine but the white smoke is just crazy.. I drained some oil out.. Still smoke comes out. Before starting the car, it says "engine OK" as it always does. Hope I did not seriously damaged the car.... Left the message on my mechanic who is less than 5 miles from my house.. I will dtop off the car first thing I guess... How stupid that I tried to do that thinking it is like a normal car...

6. yangstein

yangstein Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Thank you Steve for your opinion. What is the best scanner/Code reader that I could find?

7. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #7 mello, Nov 8, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
    You might want to install catch cans. A lot of forum members think that it's frivolous and not necessary but I'm glad I did! :)

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/360-430-sponsored-yellow-compass-group/426641-360-diy-install-catch-cans-prevent-overfilling-engine-oil.html

8. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    It's not the best, but it does the job. Most importantly, it recognizes that the 360 has two banks. I avoid ones with bluetooth connectivity, laptop interface etcetera because it's too complex for something so simple. :)
    OBD II & CAN Professional Scan Tool

I see that they also has one that does ABS. I don't have experience with this one though.
    OBD II & CAN Scan Tool with ABS

9. yangstein

yangstein Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I went to RMT (My Mechanic who is excellent in OC, CA) first thing this morning. Randy personally came back with me to my house, checked the oil level while car is running and adjusted the oil level by pulling more oil out of the car. Then he drove to the shop. First 2 minutes, white smoke came out like crazy but as he drove to the shop, the amount of smoke was almost downed by 90%. He will replace the spark plugs, clean the chamber and reflush the whole thing. It doesn't seem that the engine was damaged at all. Cross my fingers... As expected, I poured too much oil into the engine. Thanks for everyone's help while I was panicking... Will let you know the process.

Mine is not a garage queen thank God and has been very strong... I'd rather drive the car as much I can to minimize the shocking news from the car. I believe that car needs to be driven in order to stay in good shape.

Will also check the headers and other things while in the shop. I have been waiting to replace headers or exhuast system anyway.

Again, thanks for the chat members for sharing knowledges and ideas.

Have a wonderful week.

10. netman

netman Formula 3

Jun 17, 2008
    OC SoCal
    Randy is the man. He and the RMT team take care of all my cars.

11. yangstein

yangstein Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    #11 yangstein, Nov 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My company is the No.1 hat manufacturer in the World. You might not even realize it but all of you certainly have at least one of our company's hats. Flexfit makes hats for all different industries... Ferrari is of course one of our customers and I received 2 proto samples last week. One will go to Randy for being awesome... Hahaha..
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I love flexfit hats. I'm a sneaker and hat superfreak.

The pictured hat is absolutely awesome - how do I get it or when will it be available!?

Glad you got the issue resolved.

13. yangstein

yangstein Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Hello Singletrack,

When salesman samples are produced, I should be able to grab a few. For this particular style, I belive it has one of a driver's signature on it so only Ferrari Racing Team memers will get to wear it. We don't do mass production with Ferrari where you could find at stores. When I receive the final version, I will post it and you could PM me.

Thank you

14. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Awesome! Thanks man.

15. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    We've all been there. I overfilled mine when I first got her. She will survive and run fine in the end. :)

16. yangstein

yangstein Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Here's the update and I picked up the car this morning. The car came back as if nothing ever happened. Runs great and with the oil change, it sounds smoother.

1. Complete Oil Change
    (Endgine oil and filter, Throttle bodies removed and intake plenum were cleaned)
    (Gear box oil change, Anti Freeze drain and refill, Brake Fluid flush)
    2. Retorque Suspension
    3. Reset ECU's
    4. Change all spark plugs
    5. Replace Rear Brake Pads
    6. Replace Airflow Meters and cleaned air box covers

Sounds about right?

Headers looked fine but will replace with fabspeed (Christmas Present for myself)
    Front tires to be replaced when headers at the same time (Christmas Present again) lol

That came with a hefty bill but my baby is back to normal.

People, please do not refill oil without the caution like I did... I learned my first Ferrari Lesson. It is not a normal car.... You need to be extra careful but not to be scared to drive.

I have never had "Slow Down" warning but my mechanic(Randy) said he experienced it during a test run. Hope this doesn't happen while I am driving....

Thank you chat members for your support.

Brian

17. proof69

proof69 Formula 3

Sep 14, 2014

Just curious, how much was the bill?

18. yangstein

yangstein Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
  19. sanfran

sanfran Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 10, 2004
    LA
    Full Name:
    Oliver
  20. f360nh

f360nh Karting

Apr 12, 2014
    NH
    Full Name:
    John Q.
    Ouch these mistakes on oil top-off can be costly...

21. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Overfilled mine once also ...I drained from oil filler cleaned plugs then drove it until it stopped smoking ...

Cost : $0 time :1 hour

22. makethemsaywow

makethemsaywow Karting

Mar 24, 2015
    SF, CA
    Might just be me, but that doesn't sound like $3k of work. And this was at an independent, right?

23. gandalfthegray.

gandalfthegray. Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2006
    Pinewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I want to say it's around $1200 for the annual fluids service and if he has CC brakes the pads are around $700. Not saying it's not a lot of money but I can see it getting up there.

24. gandalfthegray.

gandalfthegray. Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2006
    Pinewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Steve
    So did I. :D

25. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Im glad you got it resolved. These are dry sump motors so you have to follow the instructions carefully for checking oil.