DIY Battery Tender Installation - F430/360 - CTEK 4.3 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

DIY Battery Tender Installation - F430/360 - CTEK 4.3

Discussion in '360/430' started by Trent, Jan 19, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Roberto360

Roberto360 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    Thanks Trent.

Question, what would you use to insulate the wrench from completing the circuit?
    Some kind of rubber, but does anything come to mind that I can buy at Lowes or HD?

Thanks,
    Roberto

2. KatMan

KatMan Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Stan K
    I took my regular 10 mm wrench and double wrapped the length of it with electrician's tape. Seemed to work OK.

3. Chiaroman

Chiaroman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 21, 2004
    New Jersey
    Yes.

Under the door with out a problem.

4. Teachdocs

Teachdocs Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2012
    Kansas City area
    Full Name:
    Chad
    Great place for powering up communication box, lap timer equipment, extra 12V socket adapter, radar stuff, etc.
    Thanks for posting the pic!

Does anyone know for sure if this is always on the right side of the car, regardless of RH or LH drive configuration?

5. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell
    My lap timer is plugged into this socket under the panel behind the passenger seat (RHD car).
    All my 430's (2007 coupe and 2009 16M) have had the battery tender socket built into the passenger footwell, the panel is shaped for easy access and you simply plug in, lead comes out under the door, fully locked and secure! Thought it was standard, guess not.

6. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Far better, as DanS stated in his reply. Wiring directly to battery is most unnecessary and leaves the connector lead in a very inconvenient location. I wired my pigtail behind driver seat with connector end just behind the seat. Very easy to connect to the charger which I keep in the garage.

Steve

7. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell
    Built in socket is the best solution but sounds like maybe only standard in the UK?

Pages from the manual, and connector that simply plugs straight in. (Bottom right connector is used and clips into the socket provided as standard in the passenger footwell (RHD))

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. hondar

hondar Rookie

Apr 25, 2014
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Ferrari dealer installed my Ctek directly to battery, with lead in passenger footwell, as they recommended not connecting to the terminals behind the left seat (as it was previously wired up and they removed for me).
    The position is a bit inconvenient, but no big deal.

9. Dr.Gee

Dr.Gee Karting

Mar 18, 2015
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Gee Monie
    Any diy threads on installation behind the 360 seat? This tread was the closest I could find in search.

10. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
  11. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano

Me too. Hooked it up directly to battery at passenger footwell. Plug is under mat when not in use and pass charger wire under door, no problems.

12. Dr.Gee

Dr.Gee Karting

Mar 18, 2015
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Gee Monie
    #37 Dr.Gee, Nov 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    That black plastic cover with the big red plus sign snaps off to get access. Take care you do not short out the connection to ground. A slip of the screwdriver and you are looking at big repair bills. Best to turn off the battery isolation switch first.

Steve

14. mr_bock

mr_bock Formula 3

Oct 27, 2006
    FL full time
    are there slots in that housing?

Just pop the cover off and look inside. Could be a terminal block with studs, etc...

15. mdoc3

mdoc3 Karting
    Owner

Jun 12, 2014
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Martin
    #40 mdoc3, Nov 12, 2015
    There several plus wires connected to three screws. Use one of these to hook the plus of the pigtail. See arrow at the bottom of the pic.
    Martin
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. mdoc3

mdoc3 Karting
    Owner

Jun 12, 2014
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Martin
    #41 mdoc3, Nov 12, 2015
    I have a Spider but always keep the window slightly open for the power cord. To my best knowledge, one should not keep the fabric roof down for an extended period of time. This causes additional stress to the fabric. In addition, the elastic straps necessary for a proper opening cycle of the roof get stretched/go baggy. This might cause problems during the opening process of the roof.
    Martin
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. 1idman

1idman Rookie

Jan 9, 2016
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    N.G
    I was reading somewhere that using the charger with the terminals behind the drivers seat may shorten the life or cause damage to the alternator. Is this possibly why the dealer connects directly to the battery? If so I may have to move mine.

18. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    I think you should be fine either place. If anyone believes contrary, I would challenge that they cite sporting evidence.

Steve

19. Jeff Pintler

Jeff Pintler Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2005
    Richland
    Full Name:
    Jeff Pintler
    I used the battery terminals so the trunk battery disconnect switch would not disconnect the ctek. Also, I noticed that ctek now makes a 6 foot pigtail extension so the charger can sit on the concrete floor. Also, ctek now make a Bluetooth module that monitors the state of charge and displays the info on your smart phone and draws only 1 ma. so you can check the battery charge state and then just plug in the ctek when the level drops. FWIW

Jeff Pintler
    89 348tb, 86tr, 99 360 3-pedal, S-160 bobcat

20. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I think keeping the top up is a bit overplayed. Myself and a friend always kept the top down on our 355s, except to wash them (mostly because going up or down and fixing the leather cover is a time consuming hassle, eliminated with the later cars). Yes, eventually had to replace the elastic straps ($100 at the dealer) but those get stretched out regardless, from use. I sold my 1997 car in 2014 with the original top, still looked perfect.

Rs200tez likes this.
  21. SAVANTAUTO

SAVANTAUTO Karting

Nov 5, 2010
    For those F 430 owners whose cars came from the factory with the optional battery maintainer option, where is the connection?

22. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #47 Bob in Texas, Apr 18, 2016
  23. houtie123

houtie123 Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2007
    Cape Town, RSA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I would be worried about dust, insects, even rodents getting in the car and would prefer for the perimeter to be sealed wheneve the car's parked up .But then again, I'm in Africa ...

24. Cinque

Cinque Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2012
    West Coast
    So I was under the impression that with a ctek charger that once the battery reached fully charged (step 7) that the charger would then monitor the level of the battery and only provide a charge when needed, rather than a trickle charger which is always on.

Are some people using the ctek until they reach step 7/fully charged and then unplugging the charger? Is there any downside to just leaving the ctek plugged in all the time?

25. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    The two most prominent vendors of battery tenders are CTEK and Deltran. IMO, there is no technological difference between the two. Both these providers indicate that their products use a battery charging algorithm that starts with a check of the battery condition, moves to a multi-step charging cycle and ends with a float / maintenance charge. I believe that any perceived differences in the technology between CTEK and Deltran is marketing hype.

During the float / maintenance charge, the electric current delivered to the battery is extremely low and both vendors claim that you can leave the battery on the tender for an indefinite period without harm to the battery.

In summary, I believe no harm will come to your battery if you leave it on the tender. If you wish to remove it from the tender once it reaches the float charge level, that is also fine. Keep in mind though, that once removed from the battery tender, it will immediately begin discharging because of the car imposing a low current drain when the ignition is off and a normal self discharge of the battery itself. You should not let the battery get below a 90% (rule of thumb) capacity which will occur in 3 to 4 weeks, assuming you do not start the car and drive it. At which, point, you should put it back on the battery tender. With automotive batteries, if you allow the battery capacity to fall below 90%, there is a widespread view in the industry that the battery's ultimate capacity will be reduced. The more frequently you allow this to happen, the more severe will be the degradation.

Steve