360 Engine Bay "Rattle" | FerrariChat

360 Engine Bay "Rattle"

Discussion in '360/430' started by Super Dave, Nov 15, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Super Dave

Super Dave Rookie

Apr 2, 2015
    Texas
    #1 Super Dave, Nov 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm the second owner of a completely stock 2003 F360 Spider with 19,000 miles; had it about 8 months. Shortly after purchase I noticed an intermittent engine bay "rattle" (fast beat like that of a woodpecker that lasts for a few seconds, goes away, then comes back for several seconds) from the driver side of the engine bay possibly near the firewall. I only hear it while stopped and at idle (and typically before the engine is warm). I hadn't heard "the sound" in about 6 months and thought some tightening I had done to a few loose panels in the engine bay had solved it, but it returned Friday and I was able to get it recorded. At first it sounded like it was a loose panel vibrating (maybe the engine deck lid or a heat shield) as I could hear it from inside the cabin, but all appear to be secure. I'm not sure what it is, particularly if it's engine related (and I'm very concerned it may be). Please give a listen and tell me what you think.
    First video has "the sound" for the first 4-ish seconds and then it comes back at around 11 seconds. Second video is my normal engine sound. Thank you for your help/suggestions.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Sorry Dave, couldn't get it to play.. :(

3. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I couldn't play it either. Probably best to get it on a lift when cold and inspect right after cold start. I'm on my fourth Ferrari and can tell you I have dealt with all sorts of buzzes and rattles in the engine compartment of each....there are just so many possible sources, it is difficult to speculate. But they can definitely be fixed. :)

4. Super Dave

Super Dave Rookie

Apr 2, 2015
    Texas
    Trying to get videos linked to YouTube.

5. Super Dave

Super Dave Rookie

Apr 2, 2015
    Texas
  6. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Just a thought. Check the belly pan is not missing a few screws.

Steve

7. espvh

espvh Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2005
    NEW YORK!
    Exhaust tips hitting the bumper exhaust openings?

8. fiat

fiat Karting

Aug 5, 2012
    florida
    Full Name:
    graziano
    #8 fiat, Nov 15, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
    It it does at start up and goes off after a few minutes it could be the air injection.it comes on for a very short time goes off for less than a minute and comes on again for few second,after that the air pump shots off. There is a valve that control air flow under each side panels with a stainless steel braided hose that connects to the exhaust manifold air injection,the valves are one way,it could be them making that noise. Just a thought. Let us hear from other chatters.

9. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Yeah... I'd stop driving that car. Effective immediately. And get it to someone who has expertise, and a lift and can look at it from below with the lower pan off. My worry is its a belt swapping around or a valve lifter (though is a bit low for in tone for that).

I'd get it on a lift, take off the bottom pan and wiggle things like the exhaust manifolds.

If it checks from below, including the engine mounts, then take a look at the belts from below and behind the seats. My big concerns would be timing related like timing belts loose and variator..

10. metaldriver

metaldriver Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2015
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Andy Vecsey
    My noise was similar to that, and intermittent only on cold startup.

Would occur every other week or so, then weekly, then every few days, then ... well, you can see where this is going.

11. Fatty

Fatty Karting

Jun 5, 2010
    Australia
    #11 Fatty, Nov 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I had a cold sweat when I heard the sound from your youtube video.

First step is to NOT drive your car and tow it to your mechanic. Disconnect the left throttle body assembly, and stick in a borescope and have a look inside the compensation duct assembly to have a look.

That sound is very similar to what I've encountered, where one of the screws in the compensation duct came loose, and the other was halfway out. What you could be hearing is the butterfly valve rattling against the body of the enclosure. If any of the screws would have flown into the engine.. KABOOM!

I've uploaded pictures, and you can see the 'gouge' caused by the loose/flapping butterfly valve.

Whoever the ferrari mechanics were who put that together used cheap screws, and never used anything like loctite to stop this from happening. I've replaced it with high-tensile hex screws with loctite.

To test for this issue, remove the horse cover over the compensation duct, start the engine and press down on the shaft. If the chattering noise goes away, you have that problem.

Good luck with it all, and keep us updated with your findings.

12. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    if its on start up and then cleans up on warm up, slightly metallic sound

13. honda.vfr

honda.vfr Karting

Jun 22, 2012
    Ostrava, CZ (EU)
    Full Name:
    Milan Pukl
    Sounds more like the AC compressor to me.. I would try to switch the AC off and try it again..

14. Super Dave

Super Dave Rookie

Apr 2, 2015
    Texas
    I do believe the AC compressor is the culprit. Been able to isolate the sound and tie it to AC on versus off. Explains why it's intermittant (considering I rarely use the AC being a Spider and all). Thank you all for your help!

15. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Yeah Super Dave and yeah F-Chat. Way to narrow it down with the tools at your disposal!