Inflatable Car Covers | FerrariChat

Inflatable Car Covers

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by Traveller, Oct 8, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Anyone had any particularly good experience with these types of cover. I want to store my LM and keep it free from rust etc as it wont get out that much, but would also like to see as much of the car as clearly as I can when in the garage!

Am considering ShowCase

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

2. ncjetskier

ncjetskier Formula 3

Jul 7, 2012
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Wow, that's interesting. I looked at their "outdoor" cover. Looks like a big slug.

I have several DD that sit outside. I try to keep my vehicles clean, but when they get dew on them, it is a loosing battle. I think I would just settle for a conventional car cover that is moisture proof (if they truly make such a product - if they do, I have not found it yet).

3. farrbar

farrbar Karting

Sep 28, 2006
    Chicagoland
    I have experience with indoor capsule. I liked it, was at my place in the country and it kept mice away from car.

4. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    I had the indoor carcapsule.... I use to sell them... they work, but will just circulate the same air that is outside the bubble.. meaning if there is moisture.. they are a bit of work to pull the car in.. zip it all up etc. but if its for long term storage... its great...

5. marce

marce Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2014
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Marcel
    Have you considered carcoon ?

6. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

#6 4right, Nov 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have two Carcoons and swear by them. Bought my first one 6 years ago. Keeps the car bone dry, dust free and unwanted hands off! The Veloce model is the one to have so that you can drive in and drive out easily since it has a framed structure on the inside. There is no need to inflate and deflate every time you want to move the car.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I looked very seriously at this a year ago or so. In the end, too much fear about trapped moisture and slow corrosion. The intake fan is small and the outtake is just through any opening it can find in the zippers. I liked the one you could drive through and park better than the bubble to keep plastic off the paint. Plus you can come visit any time. What finally scarred me away was thinking about it like a sandwich in a ziplock baggy. Gets pretty soggy without real air movement. Your LM is just too perfect to see it corrode in hidden places that you took such care to restore. Good luck on whatever you decide and let us know.

8. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

It works exactly opposite, you can place a wet car inside the storage unit and it will be completely dry in a matter of minutes. High pressure inside the unit equals constant air movement. After looking at the Car Chamber model, I actually like this version better. Seems easier to setup.

9. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven
    I used outdoor carcoon for several years, it did wonderfully keep the car dry. Existing rust spot not worsen and no new ones spotted. Although the circulated air is drawn from outside with high moisture content, the little filter might have removed some and the result is quite amazing.

10. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Well I did speak with the company to get my information (very nice folks by the way). Some owners (one in particular) had a problem but the cause was suspicious. Also, its actually the lack of airflow that creates the pressure to keep the bubble inflated. Pop a good size hole in it to increase the flow and see what happens.

11. Sean308

Sean308 Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2011
    Victoria, Australia
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I have the same carcoon as 4right above, have now had it for 5 years and its fantastic. Car is always clean without any dust on it. Plus it features a battery tender that maintains the battery as well as the two fans that draw a constant air flow around the vehicle. You just need to replace the dust covers over the fan ever year or so.
    It has an internal subframe so even when the fans are not turned on the unti is still standing.
    Great product.

12. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Currently I am considering just using a dehumidifier in as it is only a two car garage, not big, certainly by US standards and with no real openings. Indeed it was one of the car cover manufacturers who suggested this might be the best solution, certainly to start with and at least that way I get to look at the special pair without peering through scratchy semi opaque plastic?

13. Jean-Claude

Jean-Claude Karting

Sep 23, 2009
    Atlanta
    These are legit. I saw this one at SEMA this year and will be purchasing one for completed cars in wait and I know a few client will get some too. The pictured one is about $1600 plus shipping inside the USA.

[​IMG]

14. AFKC

AFKC Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 27, 2011
    #14 AFKC, Nov 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. eyeman1234

eyeman1234 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 25, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    For indoors, Carcoon or CarCapsule or...?

16. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I can only comment on the Carcoon brand as it's the only one that I have experience with. However, it's worked flawlessly for years now. I am not aware of one brand having an advantage over the others.