Alfa Romeo Giulia | FerrariChat

Alfa Romeo Giulia

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by TheMayor, Nov 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I thought I would start a thread just on this car as it's finally coming to America.

Here's the opening at the LA Auto show. Impressive statistics.

Alfa Romeo Giulia on Livestream

Autoblog

Alfa Romeo Giulia is the sexiest starlet in LA

Generally, there's a fair amount of debate about what the best-looking car at any given auto show may be. We, however, humbly submit that for the 2015 LA Auto Show, there's no point in arguing – it's the Alfa Romeo Giulia.

2. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Alfa Romeo has always produced some beautiful cars. Was in Italy last week and the street of course over there is flooded with them. Hold my opinion on this new offering until I see it in person. But what a great promo for the car. Ferrari could learn a lesson from Alfa on how to debut their latest models.

3. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    Saw it live already in Frankfurt. IMO It looks ok, but somehow also a bit dated. I find the Maserati Ghibli better looking irl.

Best part about it is the interior.

4. fskof

fskof Karting

Nov 23, 2005
    Milwaukee, Wi
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Mayor are you planning on purchasing one?

5. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    It does look dated, but still a nice looking car. I think they could have done a lot better on the front end. What's under the skin is very nice on this version I think everyone agrees. This version will take Maserati Ghibli sales away after it starts production I have no doubt.

6. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    I think you're right about it taking some of Maserati's steam away. I'm not loving the styling. Its a bit too flat for my taste. Alfa's typically are more sleek. Again, have to see it in person.

7. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    our dealer picked up Alfa and I asked to be put "top of list" for the Giulia the minute it first leaked.

Have not seen in person, but I actually like it more than the BMW's and Audi's. Of course, we have not owned a "4 door sedan" in any form for over 15 years, but this one seems like it could be fun if it ends up arriving here. I sort of think Nurburgring times are a bit of false PR, but if this car did what they quote, it has a chance as a niche car.

Alfa (and Maserati) announced some serious delays and cutbacks a few weeks ago; Maserati sort of shutting down for 6 weeks and Alfa delaying their product launch windows by up to 6 months, so we'll see "if and when" these cars arrive, and by then hopefully it's still as promising. It will be interesting to see how long it takes Alfa to put a DCT in there, we can have the "purist" argument but the mass market probably won't buy high volumes in a manual.

Re the Ghibli....we actually ended up with one as a loaner from our dealer for 4 days, it was a well equipped S Q4 model (high $80K MSRP). My views might be different if I were going to pay for it, but I found the car itself to be quite good, it definitely has an edge on the BMW and Audi in some respects. It has a bit of Chrysler in it (vs. good old Bavarian), but the looks grew on me and the engine more than proved itself. IF we were buying a 4-door, I'd absolutely consider it.

The Giulia Quadrifoglio is sort of a different beast, but I can see some quick market and channel conflict between a "regular" Giulia and the Ghibli.

8. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Hot car.

Pretty incredible to note that it is only a tick off of the Ferrari FF 0-60 time (3.8s vs 3.7s).

When is it due to be available in the US?

9. CT Audi Fan

CT Audi Fan Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2011
    Delayed until Q2 which likely means late summer. The car is stunning in a rugged sort of way ... The proportions are very masculine, looks tough as nails just standing still. And it has a stick! Now we'll see just how serious all these "purists" are by how many manuals they actually sell. Early reports said a dual clutch would also be available, but now I'm hearing torque converter 8-speed, basically same tranny in the new Jag SE. I've always loved Audi but they can lack passion, the new C Class looks promising but perhaps soft, and BMW has lost some mojo ... I think Jag and Alfa can make some noise in this segment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. CT Audi Fan

CT Audi Fan Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2011
    Sorry, meant Jag XE

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Giulia looks great - tech specs are fantastic - But how will build quality and reliability stack up ?

12. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yep, German cars in that segment are a dime a dozen in these parts.

13. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    That was my first thought as well, but then if you break it down not as much as you would first think. The Giulia Quad is smaller (think 3 series vs 5 series) and it is not available in AWD. RWD Ghiblis are a hard sell North of the Mason Dixon line.

14. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Give 'em credit for making a manual. But I wonder how many dealers will order it that way. Despite what Alfa says, you can't order a car. My guess is very few dealers will click the "manual" option for this car.

15. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    I haven't seen pricing? Do we want to do a pool that they will miss their target price points :)

16. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    The quad won't have awd but the other models should be available with it. the 2.0t could be tempting with rwd and a stick as a DD.

17. philt68

philt68 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2008
    new york city
    i think they missed on the styling a little....i'm guessing they were thinking of the american market when they designed it, and decided to go for muscular, rather than beautiful....i miss the brera...:)

18. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    The regular N.A. Giulia starts at 40,000.00 and the V6 Turbo starts at 70,000.00 US.

19. Rags747

Rags747 Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Matt
    So you have the Giulia, the M3 and the Caddy ATS V all priced in a similar ballpark and all offered with 6 speeds. Alfa now has the Configurator online. This thing is going to look hot as hell in person.

20. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I'm not aware of an n.a. Giulia, base is 2.0t with 276hp starting upper 30's afaik.

21. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    N.A. Giulia weighs around 200lbs more than Euro version according to the information released at the North American debut. The prices were also for the N.A. version in US dollars. Just like the 4C the Giulia has a N.A. version.

22. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Ah, you were referring to north american, I thought you were talking naturally aspirated.

23. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    sadly there is no naturally aspirated model. would have loved a n/a v-6 singing ala the busso v6 in my Milano. Turbo 4? just one of the herd....

24. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Impressive launch. The stats look pretty good.

Not entirely convinced by the styling, but maybe it'll look better in person.

All the best,
    Andrew.

25. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    That doesn't really make sense, what do the changes involve ?