Best classic f-car to add to the scud? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Best classic f-car to add to the scud?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by MaranelloDave, Nov 20, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Testarossa

Like you said, you already have a V8 Ferrari sports car.

-F

2. Feudal Serf

Feudal Serf Rookie

Sep 7, 2014
    #27 Feudal Serf, Nov 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    308 or a TR.

4. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    First car that popped into my head as well. Maybe a TR.

5. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface

There's no better pair than a mid engine racer and a 12 cylinder front engine GT.

Mark

6. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    You know where I stand based on my ownership. The 308 is awesome, and a great contrast to the Scud. Minimalist, beautiful design, involved driving experience, surprisingly comfortable, and it makes nice noises - particularly with carbs. You can drive it hard and not end up going to jail ; ) In your price range you can find a perfectly maintained all-original, or a properly restored to new example. Good luck man - great decision to have to make.

7. kaliforniakid

kaliforniakid Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2010
    sf bay area
    Full Name:
    erik
    I agree on the 550. Given your criteria that is a sweet spot. I just picked one up myself and it is accompanied by a 308gt4. The gt4 is and may always be the sleeper classic. I also wanted an early mid rear engine v8 carb car and it is one of the best driving cars I have had. 550 is that reliable cruiser to take your partner out and in style and luxury, and be able to have a conversation while you run at speed.

For 150k you might be able to squeeze a gt4 and a TR, perfect stable in my mind-gt4, tr, scud! One other consideration is a 348.

I agree see if you can drive each. The 308gts/b may feel very similar to your 430, where the TR is just plain a different monster. If I were in your position btwn the 2 I'd get the TR.

8. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    I would have liked a 599 in a stick and was planning years ago on buying a depreciated one . My projected curve was right about.... NOW. ;)
    That ship has sailed never to return.

There are no "classic" front engined stick Ferrari V-12s under 150K.
    A 550 is as close as one will get.

If I were looking for a V12 stick around 150K it would be a Aston Martin V12 Vantage.
    Not exactly a classic either. (But it WILL be).

9. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Agreed.
    And then offer to take those $20 gold pieces off his hands for a nifty $10 profit.

10. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Since the Scud is mid-engined V8 sports car, I would go for a classic V12 Ferrari GT.

My choices are:
    612 - currently, the most underrated Ferrari out there. Modern performance, with classic lines and excellent reliability.

550 / 575 - Prices have spiked recently, but excellent GT cars with character. 550 is MT, and 575 will likely be F1 (prospectors have made MT versions too expensive)

11. Formula1r

Formula1r Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    550 all day!

12. LV Eric

LV Eric Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2006
    LA & LV
    Full Name:
    eric
    I agree 550, long list of reasons.

13. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    The 550 is awesome, if you have a good one. Harder to find than you think, but then again, they can be fixed to whatever standard you're looking for. Great companion to the 430S as well, very different to drive and a bit more relaxing on long road trips.

It is not a classic, though. As the OP suggested 308 or TR, I would say that the 308 is a fantastic machine provided - again - you get a good one and you pick the right model. Vetro is the original but very expensive these days. A carb one would be my pick, the gurgling sound they make when you're on a mountain road is SO addictive. I have to driven a TR, and I would not buy one because I've never liked the styling. They are great cars, though, and that engine in the back is fantastic. If you're in for styling thrills and great sound then by all means go for one. Just remember maintenance is brutal, seating position is not great, and it is a terrible road trip companion. But love conquers all. The 365BB is not a great travel companion either but I did a tour through the UK and Scotland of 2,000 miles and the memories will never leave me. It was fantastic!

So - pick the car that YOU like best. You should be in love, or not do it at all.

Enjoy the search!

Oh - and if you can, test the models on the road. When you drive them, consider what you want to use them for. Long distance, boulevard cruising, etc. Then pick the best fit.

One final thought: I've owned my 550 for over 8 years, done 40,000 miles in her and she is still special. Great cars.

Onno

14. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1

Not a classic just yet, but about to be...

If not the 550, then a Testarossa IMO. I personally never really fell in love with the 3x8's, except for the Michelotto (converted) ones. Can't explain why.

15. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I would get a 308. BUT not just any 308, I would look for a Euro QV GTB with a deep spoiler and fog lamps and euro bumpers.

16. f360nh

f360nh Karting

Apr 12, 2014
    NH
    Full Name:
    John Q.
    Which alfa is the one pictured?

17. Voda

Voda Formula 3

Oct 10, 2013
    Seattle
    You say "classic", so IMO, this is clear cut: You're only true option is a CARBERETED 308.
    The 550, 599, TR, etc. are not classics (although they lie within your price point -- Not classics) ... to be honest the '78-'79 308 is even pushing it in regards to be a "classic", but the fact that they are carbereted just qualifies them IMO.

18. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Some great input here guys. Thanks for posting.

Test drove a local TR. Its clutch was toast so it's hard to draw many conclusions, but the seating position felt a bit odd. I couldn't get the seat to adjust and I felt way too tall in the car. Felt like I needed to drop 2 inches. Also, there certainly was the ol' "short legs, long arms" thing going on, as well as the displaced pedal thing. Will need to test drive one that is better sorted before I make any conclusions though.

I'll test drive a 308 soon and may add the 550 to the list as well. The 550 would probably be better on road trips than the other cars I'm considering. 575 or 599 would be contenders if they could be had in manual for $150k, but I don't believe that's the case.

19. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Testarossa/TR more instant gratification (and being mid engined and pretty raw, not a billion miles away from your Scuderia driving experience). 550 more long term satisfaction and much more practical. But less involving.