355 Spider top issue | FerrariChat

355 Spider top issue

Discussion in '348/355' started by Geohop, Nov 15, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Geohop

Geohop Karting

Feb 2, 2013
    Kemah Texas
    Full Name:
    George
    A quick search here has not helped. My top will not operate mechanically/electrically after several years of operation. All operations OK up until I engage the top down button. Seats moved up properly, windows down, beep heard after manual top release and top bow pushed back. I tried jiggling the top frame. Oil OK and fairly fresh in reservoir. I used the emergency buttons and this seems to work OK raising and lowering. Just can't use the center top buttons. Any ideas, thanks all

2. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #2 markcF355, Nov 15, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
    Stupid question. Emergency brake engaged?

If yes, the top ECU is upset about something. I had the same(?) problem that turned out to be a seat pot that would stop and start randomly as the passenger seat moved.

I changed that pot and was OK for some years. Now both of my pots are bad. Rather than change them, I decided to wire the emergency switches to the center console switch. I'd rather spend $20 on relays and diodes than piss away money on pots.

3. npoole1

npoole1 Rookie

Jun 15, 2006
    San Diego, Ca
    Full Name:
    Nathan Poole
    I have a similar issue with my top and it took me a few minutes to observe all the functions involved with the operation of the top and discovered that my emergency brake light does not stay on throughout the operational process. The light is comes on during the starting phase but does not stay illuminated after about 5 seconds upon the key in the second position. So if all lights are not on throughtout the process will interfere with top operation. Something too consider to rule out

4. npoole1

npoole1 Rookie

Jun 15, 2006
    San Diego, Ca
    Full Name:
    Nathan Poole
    Forgot to add that for now I will just turn the ignition on and off from second position to open or close top while the emergency brack light is still illuminated. A nussiance but something minor I can live with since the top remains down for majority of the year. A simple fix for my mechanic

5. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    That's what i did.

Use the two pole switch that is there for the top. I added a switch so I can use the original switch in normal mode or run it in bypass all while sitting in the car.

Forward = up
    back = down

You move the windows & seats manually and then operate the emergency switch via the switch on the panel.

Once I get the top fully sorted, it will run as designed with the regular switch. If something goes whonky, I just use the the other switch and run the windows and seats by hand.

6. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    There is a post on here on rebuilding the pot. Have you looked at that and are you inclined to do that?

I would like to mess with a faulty pot just for interest sake. If you or anyone has a bad one, I'll try and fix it. Mine are fine but I would like to see what it is that fails in them myself.

7. Geohop

Geohop Karting

Feb 2, 2013
    Kemah Texas
    Full Name:
    George
    Thanks all. I ran into Mark from Sphere Motors in Houston and he gave me some ideas. I'll try to do a few more diagnostics next week. If I continue to use the emergency switches do you feel this will create more problems? Ciao

8. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    The e-switch simply by-passes the ECU and the associated prox switches in the system.

As long as you manage the seat position and windows manually, using the e-switch will be fine.

Mine has been wired that way for 3 years now.

9. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I took a better look at it today and figured out that I didn't need the relays or diodes.
    If I just wire the red wires from the bypass to pins 1 and 2 respectively on the existing console switch, it "should" work.

The other thing I'm going to do is wire the seat switches directly to the seat motors.
    In the past when I disconnected the pots, the seats would work from the ECU but now they don't. Well they will, but only forward.

10. roadracer311

roadracer311 Formula 3

May 6, 2009
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Paul
  11. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    That's the thread I was referring to. Thanks Paul for posting it.

Mine are working fine but if they go awry I'll fix them as you did.

I noted in reading through the threads that Mitchel (yelcab) fixed his pots in a position that is "go" for the top Ecu and manually moves the seats if they are in the way. Another option.

12. zstyle

zstyle Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2007
    Fountain Hills
    Full Name:
    Jon
    If the top does not want to come down electronically via center console switch, there are several micro switches which need to be activated to allow the ecu to move the top. Typically these ecu burn out the transistors and need to be replaced. Some ecu's require more work than others.

Make sure the center bar is pushed upwards otherwise the top will bind and not be able to collapse correctly. You can pull the pins on the main hydraulics on each side to convert the top into a manual (2 person) top.

If the top has not been used regularly, and the hydraulics have not been serviced you will see one side of the top move faster than the other. There is a company who will rebuild the hydraulic cylinders and even rebuild the hydraulic lines for you to have a complete new system.

The microswitches are typically on the driver side: windshield latch point, mirco-swicthes on mechanical arms.

You can bypass the ecu to wire in relays to lower and raise the top if you do not want to have the top ecu fixed or replace with new one. Do you have any 355 Spider owners near you that you could swap the ecu from car to car to be sure its not the ecu?