Off-Topic: Searching for a Jaguar E-Type Roadster (1961-1972 stick): | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Off-Topic: Searching for a Jaguar E-Type Roadster (1961-1972 stick):

Discussion in 'British' started by christopher, Feb 28, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. christopher

christopher Formula 3

Nov 29, 2003
    Ontario California
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    But I'd have to say, I've given it a shot and have had a few calls, but people what huge money....

I think I'll let the cars get restored and what for the market to bust. As I know it will, and pick up one on those cars that someone spend good money on to restore!

Thank you very much to all the responded. I'm just a little too late I guess. Or, early, depending on how you look at it.

Best regards..Chris.

2. christopher

christopher Formula 3

Nov 29, 2003
    Ontario California
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Still plugg'en away at this! Lots of rusty one!..lol...

3. christopher

christopher Formula 3

Nov 29, 2003
    Ontario California
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Glad to see it! I guess people are finally coming to their senses and reasoning that these aren’t Ferrari’s and can’t command that ridiculous dollar amount! Interesting as to how many of these cars you see as basket cases now coming out of the woodwork.

Unfortunately, these poor cars weren’t as well cared for and often fell in disrepair.
    I’ll continue to wait a bit more and finally pull the trigger on one that someone else has either restored, or has coveted, and what’s to make a little money before they go lower.

As I had mentioned in an earlier posting; I was a victim of this back in the late 80’s by where I bought at $$, and the bottom dropped! I had to sell because of a divorce…OUCH! Lost a few $$.

What goes up, must come down! I love it when a plan comes together…Quote: Mr. George Picard, aka Hannibal Smith of the ”A”-Team..!

Almost time to go shopping!

Regards, Chris.

4. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    I would disagree with the above assessment. In my opinion, prices on good E-Types are increasing. My money is on the Series 2 cars: now that many buyers are priced out of the Series 1 cars, they are looking to the S2.

In other words, the guy who was looking to get into an great S1 for 100K, is now completely priced out of the market, except for basketcase cars. 100K will now buy you a fully restored S2 OTS, and soon that will look cheap.

5. ghibliman

ghibliman Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2009
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I agree with the above.......Unless there's a huge correction in collectable cars, across the board, my guess is that e-type prices are going nowhere but up. At least good S1's.

If more basket cases are on the market now you can thank the value of nice cars.

Once you factor in a resto I think you have spent the same amount.

6. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    And we have a winner! I concur, but having just restored an S1 OTS, am potentially biased by aching wallet syndrome.

Having recently spent 2 straight days talking to real people, real judges, real collectors at the SF concours, they feel that 'junk' S1s have moved into the $50grand range (still stupid money) yet the problem with junk is the same as F cars, Porsches, et al of 'sophisticated' brand-specific engineering:

The cost to restore is rather nutty, in the $200k zone depending but it establishes a standard. If prices drop below resto costs, then resto shops have no business case. As it stands, the good ones are full.

Yes, it can all change. I remember the 80's run up very well indeed. Had an E type S1 at the exact moment in time. The new plateau is significantly higher, far more years established. Yet Chris, just like the stopped clock is right two times per day, you can 'wait it out' and be right. Or you can buy now and be driving. Always that choice.

7. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    Don't know if the ad is legitimate, but a '69 XKE roadster with wire wheels is for sale.

8. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    Hi,

FWIW that's true about the for sale adverts in the US, but you can also just register for Jag-Lovers (Jag-lovers - the Jaguar Enthusiasts' premier Internet site) and it does not cost you a dime! :)

Yes, visually it's unimpressive, but the resources are huge, the folks (like me) have been in there for two decades and in general everyone is open and use their real names, or well known pseudonyms. ;) it's actually an old school e-mail list with a forum-like software running, openess is partly thanks that google and other search engines do not work there, as it's not really HTML except for browsing. Their own search engine does work well, but photos have to be max 200kb in file size.

You will not find many 1971 roadsters, for whatever reason Jag mostly produced 2+2's that year and the OTS (Open Two Seater = roadster) production did not get going until 1972.
    Then 1973 came the big bumpers and more smog and energy crisis etc.

Mine is an Euro spec 1972, (1S20183) I never liked white, but any colour works on that body, so that's what I have, and I will never, ever sell that car. My wife and kids may sell her, but only after I am gone. :D

Cheers,

Pekka T. (Ex. JAG-66, current JAG-72 and JAG-50 and a few other cars, like a 456 GT)
    Fin.

9. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    And I did put my money where my mouth is. The car that I alluded to very early in this thread, ended up coming to me on consignment. I had been staring at the car for years in our storage facility, and when the owner said "you should drive it", I did, and I was done.

I bought it from him soon afterward. It's not for sale, at least not right now: 1971 Jaguar E-Type ? M. Brandon Motorcars

I've done some sorting on it: tuning the Webers, changing fluids, fixing a few things that resulted from sitting for a few years. It's absolutely amazing. I love my Ferraris, but this E-Type just speaks to me in a different way than any Italian car, and it's addicting.

10. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    It's a beauty! :)

gp

11. christopher

christopher Formula 3

Nov 29, 2003
    Ontario California
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Thank you Gentlemen for weighing in!

This has been kind of an exciting venture for me. Having had an e-type back in the 80’s and then again in the early 90’s (lost in divorce), I’m looking forward to ownership again. Now it appears that pricing might be hedging down as the owners of these that were overpriced (IMHO) have been reaching out to me to see if I’d be interested in a purchase for less than the amount offered, including e-bay!

Since I’m a man of conservative means, I’ll just wait it out and secure what I really want, rather than what is offered in which I’d just be satisfying the immediate gratification of ownership!

I’m a firm believer; what goes up WILL come down! I've seen it before, and it’s happening again!

Thanks again Gentlemen!

Chris.

12. ghibliman

ghibliman Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2009
    Considering you started this thread 2/14, and we're rapidly approaching 2016, you have a lot of patience.

Just so you don't think I'm throwing stones......I looked for a year and a half to meet my criteria. A '65-'67, California, OTS, one owner car......and I found it.

Good luck

13. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I agree 100% with that statement......they are addictive cats

14. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

I signed up 2 weeks ago and am still not able to post on it........its very confusing....
    each time I post I get an email saying my post can't be posted??

15. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    Hi,

I am sorry, I am no admin, but I think I can at least ask an admin if you allow me to do so. Please feel free to PM me your message, it is essentially an e-mail list, so I would need your e-mail address, probably nothing more. (AFAIK only the e-mail address needs to match)

Have you been able to login successfully at all? If you use the web interface (a web browser and not an e-mail client) you need to login first.

Cheers,

Pekka T.
    Fin.

16. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

17. christopher

christopher Formula 3

Nov 29, 2003
    Ontario California
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    See there IS HOPE!!! LOL...Thanks for the feedback!

Chris.

18. christopher

christopher Formula 3

Nov 29, 2003
    Ontario California
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Dropping like they’re HOT!

Ahhhhh, it’s good to see that prices are in fact coming down by where they now might make sense!

I hate to say “I told you so,” but having been through this once before (albeit this time SEVERELY overpriced), history repeats itself! There seem to be few hold outs hoping for the big $$, though…lol, certain that they’ll set for a while before they come to their senses..lol…

I have some options in which the owners are now considering my offers, but I’ll hold out for the right car, as I intend on keeping it for a long, long while. I don’t tend to buy-n-sell cars frequently.

The car I find & purchase is the one I’ll keep.

Please guys, any leads are very much appreciated!

Thank you very much,
    Chris.

19. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    Agreed.

Is the OP also the gentleman 'Christopher' that looked for a glass 308GTB for like, 2-3 years? More? I could be wrong, but didn't you wait for those to come down also?

This doesn't look like quite the fire sale you're hoping for:

Fine Automobile Auctions - Keno Brothers
    $418k with commission.

I realize you're looking for a different variant, but this is a rather healthy representative, directly linked.

Perhaps some other sales indicated a plateau. Yet to chide owners and say you "told us so", I don't think any of us needed to be told that history repeats, and cycles are just that.

Many of us remember the late 80's, many others followed muscle cars down a dark trail in 2007.

Personally - so this is only me I'm talking about - I'd not forward you a lead in good faith since it appears you'd be either low-balling or waiting for some urgent distress sale.

Sure, if you wait long enough, you totally, absolutely, unquestionably will see prices drop. And if that's your MO, then that's great, wishing you the best.

Yet it'll take a seriously motivated owner who has just spent $175k+ on a restoration to take the blood bath you wish for, or to prey upon a long-time owner in misery. I just can't get excited about that with you.

Unsubscribing for my health and well-being.

20. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    AHudson said it all. I follow the E-Type market quite carefully, and I am not seeing a drop in prices whatsoever. In fact, as has been predicted and we have discussed, Series 2 cars are increasing in price, and I know for a fact that great cars are selling for prices in the six figures.

21. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Agreed. I thought of bailing on my S1 FHC for a like S2 FHC but doesn't seem realistic now.

Bought my car 10 years ago under $20K, I recently turned down a $70k offer for it.

22. christopher

christopher Formula 3

Nov 29, 2003
    Ontario California
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    #97 christopher, Nov 26, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
    Spoken like Gentlemen that already have their E-types, and suspect that they might be of the mind should they be required to sell, could do so and achieve top dollar (I guess I’d try to protect my investment too). I’d probably liken it to playing in the stock market, if you’ve got money into it, you’re bound to watch and hope to achieve a sizable return-and you feel good about yourself! No harm there!

It’s going to be interesting to see how others might weigh-in all of which are currently sourcing cars, as sharply compared to those who currently possess cars as to what comments may ensue.

Since so many have weighed in on the posts, my “told you so” was for the naysayers that adamantly stated that prices would only go up higher. I live here in So. Ca., and can tell you that as of late I’ve had a well-known higher-end dealership contact me only after a period of silence NOW wanting to discuss an offer LOWER than what I made for the car, couple that with the cars (good/or bad examples) currently on e-bay of which several continue to just sit, and subsequently lower their prices. These are only a few examples. I’ve seen others. It appears that more dealers & owners might be a bit more motivated to sell now.

Yes, the market is coming down. Thankfully! Having owned 2-ea. roadsters never understood how that may have happened anyway. The higher cost cars, well yes, if there’s serious restoration costs involved they’ll attempt to at least recapture their expenses, and understandably so. Having restored one I know the expense all too well.

I don’t feel the need for a fire sale, or to take advantage of anyone’s misery, just looking for the right car, and a fair cost. Nothing wrong with that.

Glass 308? Sorry, not me…77-308 maybe. I ended up with a 79, with ultralow miles, couldn’t pass it up..

Just an observation on my part; It’s been my experience that people tend to become a bit more, should we say “brash”, or maybe to a lesser degree; “spirited,” when posting e-mails, replies or otherwise. I wonder if the tonality might be different when the subject was discussed in person. I suspect that it probably would.

Thanks for weighing in.

Chris.

23. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    Christopher,

I'm enjoying the commentary as well, and you sound like the kind of guy I would like to have a beer with and discuss cars. :)

I think what we are all trying to tell you is that, if you want a car, don't wait too long. I can't tell you how many people call me up and say "I'm looking for a great 308/328, low mileage, fully documented, concours condition. I'm looking to spend about $40,000." I have to tell them that that ship has sailed, and they are inevitably surprised and disappointed, because they can't afford their dream car anymore.

Could prices fall? Sure they could. But, I study these markets all day long, and in some areas, like the aforementioned 308/328 market, I feel prices are levelling off, after a doubling (if not tripling) over the past 18 months. Conversely, the E-Type S2 market is rapidly gaining steam, at least from my observations.

24. christopher

christopher Formula 3

Nov 29, 2003
    Ontario California
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Hey Michael,

I like the idea I travel periodically and find myself in-and-out of Dallas & Houston quite a bit. How about I give you a shout the next time I’m in and if you’re available we can meet for some beers?

I have an appreciation for your guys’ ZiegenBock. I know it’s only an Anheuser-Busch product, but we don’t get it out this way, it seems to stay in Texas.

I hear you regarding the E-type Market, and appreciate your insight. I’m just wondering if the “hype” might be waning a bit. I just received another offer this morning regarding a Series III, unfortunately it’s a 1973-car, and in Boston. I won’t have time to pursue it unfortunately.

I’ll keep my eyes open, not looking for a steal (be nice, but not expecting), and take a look at all available.

Thanks for weighing in!

Chris.