Reference check on Dave Helms | FerrariChat

Reference check on Dave Helms

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by sfa1509, Mar 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sfa1509

sfa1509 Rookie

Feb 25, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Sean Armstrong
    I had a very nice chat with Dave Helms in Boulder, CO this weekend (I assume he's reading this!).

Dave is doing a full engine out 30k on a 98 355 GTB F1 that I have reached agreement to purchase. It's my first Ferrari, and the 10 year old inside me is finally getting his wish!

I got some input on Dave and his skills from others person-to-person. I was hoping for some feeback from the community. his shop is called Scuderia Rampante, and he used to be with FODenver.

Any input is welcome.

2. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I wouldn't trust my Modena to anyone else. I happen to know many official Ferrari service centers would love to get Dave to work for them. This guy has a DEEP well of experience and a hell of a lot of common sense. Two things that don't often go together.

3. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Obviously you know where I stand. Dave is the only that services and maintains my F355B. And I won't buy another F car without Dave's checking it out first.

Pics of his new shop are in the Rocky Mountain section.

4. Rennphile

Rennphile Rookie

Nov 24, 2003
    Colorado
    Strong reference from me. Dave is nothing if not proficient and conscientious.

Also, unlike many mechanics, he actually knows how to drive the cars he services (ask him about his racing experience). This is helpful if you’re trying to diagnose something subtle like a handling or drivability issue.

5. Caruso360

Caruso360 Karting

May 1, 2003
    Consider your self lucky by having Dave do the service. Consider yourself unlucky since your there and Dave's here. From experience, Dave has the ability to transform these vehicles into new experiences from one tweak of computer parameters to the next level. You will be hard pressed to find an equal to Dave. While your vehicle is in Dave's shop ask him about some
    performance upgrades, that's another one of Dave's specialties.

6. sfa1509

sfa1509 Rookie

Feb 25, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Sean Armstrong
    I appreciate everyone spending the time to respond.

Sean

7. Roland E Linder

Roland E Linder Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    COLORADO
    Full Name:
    Roland E Linder
    Hello, I deal with Dave for many years now. He was the "guru" who worked on my LM when I had only 3 days to present my car to my sponsors etc..
    Without him, that car would not be running the way she does now. He is the only man the FNA OK to rebuild a F50 motor...There is some statements !!!
    He is the mechanic that follows the Colorado Grand every year. That shows his knowlegde in older cars.His reputation with my friends is of the highest grade.
    I'm proud to have his name on my LM.
    I'm wishing him the best luck in his new Scuderia Rampante shop.
    Roland
    Players Run
    F40LM