1971 London Motor Show - 365 GTC/4 | FerrariChat

1971 London Motor Show - 365 GTC/4

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by gudz, Nov 27, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gudz

gudz Karting

Nov 23, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Stephen Goodhand
    #1 gudz, Nov 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi All,

I'm the proud owner of 14561, A lovely Celeste Gainborough 365 GTC/4.
    I've been trying to dig up some early history on the car, and managed to get the original sales receipt off Tony Willis which proved to be pretty interesting - I've attached.

It indicates that the car was ordered new by Shaun Bealey (SPB) of Maranello Concessionaires and delivered to the 1971 Earls Court London Motor show. It was one of the first RHD examples to be built and I guess they were pretty eager to show a RHD car to the UK public. I've checked in the updated Hilary A Raab book and 14561 does appear to be a London Motor Show car being listed as a "no.2" car to a matching Celeste Gainborough no.14555 which is listed as a "no.1" show car.

My questions are;
    a) why would they have had 2 matching cars at the show?
    b) does anyone have any photo's taken at the Ferrari stand in 1971 - I'd love some reference.

I'm also wondering where I go now in my investigation? The car obviously has an interesting story to tell from the first couple of years of it's life, and the history that came with the car is pretty non existant during this time. I was told that it was useds by Shaun Bealey as his personal car but another post indicates that this may have been no.14555.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

confused,

Steve
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    The other 365 GTC/4 was #14555 and that was RHD #1.
    14555 was originally Azzurro Hyperion 2.443.648 with Blu VM 3015 interior and azzurro carpets. This was Maranello Concessionaires Order #512.
    14555 was sold to John Pawle in the UK. Registration "HPL 22 K".

14561 was RHD #2.
    This was Maranello Concessionaires Order #511.
    14561 was sold to Shaun P. Bealey on the 4th November 1971. It was registered on UK license plates "1 GTC".

Marcel Massini

3. gudz

gudz Karting

Nov 23, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Stephen Goodhand
    Thanks Marcell, this is already new info for me, I thought the colours where the same, probably as I've just seen pictures of HPL 22K and it's very similar.
    Strange that mine was ordered first but is seen as the 2nd RHD ;-)

Nice registration, I wish it still had those plates on it. Currently it's on LUC 262K.

rgds.

4. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    #4 jtremlett, Nov 27, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
    I don't know for sure but I suspect one car would be on the Ferrari stand and the other on Pininfarina's.

Unfair of me to pick up on a single English word from a non-native English speaker, I know, but Shaun Bealey was a director of Maranello Concessionaires running various Ferraris as company cars (which were also used as demonstrators for customers). I very much doubt this car, or any other Ferrari, was sold to him! They would have been owned by Maranello Concessionaires and run by Shaun (and the same for the Colonel's cars) as perks of the job with no money changing hands.

Jonathan

5. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Both cars were ordered together. At the time of the Maranello Concessionaires Order (511 and 512) the chassis numbers were not known yet. In terms of chassis numbers 14555 comes before 14561.
    14555 is assembly sequence #30.
    14561 is assembly sequence #44.

MC Order #513 was also a 365 GTC/4, Chassis #14845, assembly sequence #45, Azzurro Hyperion 2.443.648 with Blue VM 3015, first owner Mr. Heath.

14555 is the car that was on the Pininfarina stand during the London Motor Show.

Marcel Massini

6. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #6 Marcel Massini, Nov 27, 2015
    This is 14555 on the Pininfarina stand.
    COPYRIGHT Ted Walker, Ferret Photographics, UK. Ted is a fellow fchatter, thank you Ted for allowing us to see this photo.

Marcel Massini

peterp likes this.
  7. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Great picture.

8. gudz

gudz Karting

Nov 23, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Stephen Goodhand
    #8 gudz, Nov 27, 2015
    I hadn't thought of there being a Pininfarina stand, that's a good point.
    If anyone has and photo's of either stands in their slide collections in the loft I'd be massively grateful.

I thought i'd share a picture of the car, not my house unfortunately.
    The car doesn't look like this right now either as it's getting a bare metal respray - eeek!

9. gudz

gudz Karting

Nov 23, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Stephen Goodhand
    Wow - that is a great photo, thanks Marcel. I guess that means that mine was on the Ferrari stand, be great if anyone has any photos of that stand so I can be sure.

You guys rock.

10. gudz

gudz Karting

Nov 23, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Stephen Goodhand
    and thanks Ted!

11. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #11 Marcel Massini, Nov 27, 2015
    Stephen

Would you please be so kind and post a photo showing the internal engine block number of your GTC/4 #14561? Here are two pix showing the exact location of the stamping, where to find it, and how it will look like (this is from another 365 GTC/4 #15985). Thank you.

Marcel Massini

12. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    #12 jtremlett, Nov 27, 2015
  13. gudz

gudz Karting

Nov 23, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Stephen Goodhand
    I can do Marcel, but not right now - as I said it's currently stripped for paint about 70miles away. they're hoping to get the glass out soon so I'm planning another visit in the next week or two and will get the pics you requested then.
    Not sure if it's of interest but I do have a letter from Tony Willis which states;
    Engine Numero Interno 23
    Gearbox Numero Interno 33
    Rear Axel Numero Interno 28

However I've not checked this, so will be interesting to know if it matches with the car.

14. gudz

gudz Karting

Nov 23, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Stephen Goodhand
    #14 gudz, Nov 27, 2015
    I've attached another couple of pages from Tony Willis, the first page being the original order receipt to Shaun Bealey at his home address suggesting this was to be his own car?

Looks like he got a sizable discount too - perk of the job I guess.

15. gudz

gudz Karting

Nov 23, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Stephen Goodhand
    Hmm, not sure I should've posted that without blanking the address...
    Am I right in thinking Mr Bealey is no longer with us? or should I ask the mods to remove?

16. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    wow! look at the sales tax, enormous!

17. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    There have been threads here where fchatters have posted real serious stuff and they are still alive.
    Relax, please. No worries.

Marcel Massini

18. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Marcel says he has passed away, although I missed it. Regardless he hasn't lived at that address for many years.

Jonathan

19. gudz

gudz Karting

Nov 23, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Stephen Goodhand
    Cool - thanks guys.

20. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    Absolutely correct. I worked for Shaun but a little later than this period. Both the Colonel and Shaun ran Ferraris as company cars. The Colonel always had the latest Berlinetta, Daytona, Boxer etc but Shaun preferred 2+2's.... However the cars were always for sale and if needed for demo purposes.......I was employed as the salesman so know this to be fact. I always laugh when I often see adverts for the ex Colonel Hoare Daytona or whatever as he never actually personally owned any Ferraris. All were registered to Maranello Concessionaires.

21. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    I stand to be corrected but as far as I know Shaun is alive and well. I purchased his 250 Lusso (5729) from him a few years ago and he was then living in Somerset. I havent spoken to him since then but I keep in contact with Mark Konig who was the Sales Director at Maranello and I'm sure he would have told me if Shaun had passed away. The Hambledon address is ancient. I can think of 4 addresses post then.

22. torquespeak

torquespeak Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    #22 torquespeak, Nov 28, 2015
  23. gudz

gudz Karting

Nov 23, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Stephen Goodhand
    I'm so greatful to all, the help I'm recieving here is brilliant, Right a few things to say -

Apologies to Shaun, but at least it was an old address. If this was his personal car, I'd love to be able to pay him a visit and give him a go - see if it stirs up any old memories.

As for whether this was purchased personally by him, which from the order reciept suggests it may have been in my view, I guess my next stage is to contact the DVLA to see if this was registered to Shaun or Maranello Concessionaires. I've already requested previous owner details for the current reg. - "LUC 262K", but wasn't aware of the cars original registration "1 GTC", so a new search on this will hopefully give me some details on the first few years of it's life - I have paperwork from '79 onwards.

Finally Ed - That Advert is fantastic. Thank you for posting. Could I ask where you found it? I'd love to be able to hang a copy on my wall at home.

24. gudz

gudz Karting

Nov 23, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Stephen Goodhand
    #24 gudz, Nov 29, 2015
  25. torquespeak

torquespeak Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Stephen, it's from the Summer 1972 FOC GB magazine (Vol.4 No.4).

If you want to enlarge it to poster size, you'd be best off trying to get a copy of this issue on eBay and taking it to a decent print shop.

Make sure you check the international sellers too as there are usually a few copies floating around in the US. These magazines generally change hands for about £4-£8, and even with pricey postage from overseas, it's obviously not a lot in relation to the value of the car.

If there are none available, let me know as I'd be happy to get a higher quality scan for you.

-Ed