599 project,rebuild/track day car | Page 3 | FerrariChat

599 project,rebuild/track day car

Discussion in '612/599' started by kiwifaza, Jul 15, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kiwifaza

kiwifaza Karting

May 12, 2009
    New Zealand
    purchased the entire system from front to back, from exotic parts supply in Germany, will let you know how the install goes

2. RossoNero

RossoNero Karting

Sep 7, 2012
    JHB, South Africa
    Full Name:
    Henry
    Brilliant! Thank you and best of luck!

3. galt

galt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2005
    Any update? Sounds like a great project!

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

4. 599ing

599ing Rookie

Sep 7, 2010
    #54 599ing, Oct 25, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
    What an awesome project and thread! Best of luck to you.

Before shopping for wheels (if you have not done so already) look for the best track tires to make sure they fit the pretty wheels!

With super track tires expect close to 50% improvement in braking (yeah that much better!), much better control while in your rpm power band (the most fun part), needless to say better traction/grip.

Don't fall for the common mistake of investing in more power while neglecting grip. If anything do the opposite.

To start with check these out:

Michelin Pilot Super Cup 2
    Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires | Michelin US

Pirelli Trofeo R
    P ZERO TROFEO R, Motorsport tyres - Car Tyres, Motorcycle Tyres, Truck Tyres, Motorsport tyres - PIRELLI INTERNATIONAL

Or if you really wanna kick everyones ass, get race slicks.
    Just make sure their speed rating is in par with what you need.

P.S. some advise "heat cycling" tires thru the use of machines (which is done by several tire shops before installing i.e. tirerack). This is supposed to be much better than heat cycling by driving method as the machines heat cycle even side walls and allow better tire compound bonding.

Hope this helps any. And keep us posted!

5. F.Engineering

F.Engineering Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jan 23, 2015
    ITALY
    Full Name:
    Fabio

Hi,

I would be interested how do you want to procede with the two ECU because the OE exhaust of 599 have 4 lambas but GTO have 2 lambdas (for each engine bank).

Thanks

Best regards

Fabio

6. kiwifaza

kiwifaza Karting

May 12, 2009
    New Zealand
    #56 kiwifaza, Nov 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. kiwifaza

kiwifaza Karting

May 12, 2009
    New Zealand
    #57 kiwifaza, Nov 28, 2015
    its been a while because it turns out my engine has the later 08 pistons and so the rings they sent me needed to be returned and replace, so a quick update

1, EXHAUST, the GTO system is awesome but not a plug and play.whilst all the pipes meet/fit too the original mounts it requires some gently fetling, time consuming but very doable. lots of little things, like the EGR pipes need to be cut down GTO parts , the heat shrouds are painfully expensive given what they are, the rear box's are 45mm to short, all easy fixes but far from bolt in,

2, GTO sway bars n springs, by far the best bang for buck on the project, approx $850 usd for 2 sway bars and all 4 springs , straight from euro spares, uk, Great to deal with,prompt and efficient

3, GTO wheels from an FChat member complete with pilot sports and titanium bolts, which defy all logic, handed them to my 12 year old , had him scratching his head for a while

4, parts list was very light, all though in the end you go the extra because you already in there, so 1 liner 1 piston, 1 rod, and all new rings, bearings ,seals, timing chain/tensioners ,,etc etc rod bolts hurt a little, $80 a piece, ouch, gasket set was expensive and so were the rings at $250 per POT!!! all up though it wasn't to bad

So my Ferrari tech has been working away tirelessly and we are days away from a start up, once shes all back together, its time for the HGTE computer upgrades and lowering slightly and then some use over Xmas until next year when ill decide how much further to take things, i quite like the full aero kit including the aero kit rear deck lid which is much like the xx
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. kiwifaza

kiwifaza Karting

May 12, 2009
    New Zealand
    That`s pretty!!! , even got the seats, how do you think my car (rosso scuderia) would look with a charcoal roof, to match the wheels, i am painting the new grills the wheel colour and was thinking of wrapping the roof

9. kiwifaza

kiwifaza Karting

May 12, 2009
    New Zealand
    I have to confess i am giddy with anticipation and excitement, I think i was a kid the last time i got this excited about something, i just cant wait for that sound!!!

10. MaseratiCorse

MaseratiCorse Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2014
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    #61 MaseratiCorse, Nov 28, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
    Kiwifaza

I think with the following configuration would look quite tasty :)

- Grigio Silverstone roof in gloss
    - The F. Genuine XX Aero kit unless cost prohibitive
    - GTO grey front grilles

Other details (interior + exterior)
    - GTO side skirts in body colour
    - Ferrari Genuine carbon diffuser, door handles + fuel cap w/ chrome horse (and maybe the mirrors and shields too :))
    - Carbon engine bay panels
    - All original CF interior trim (dash, door panels etc)
    - Novitec extended cf paddles
    - F. gen. titanium valve caps
    - GTO OE 4 - point harnesses in red w/ shoulder pads

Performance mods:
    - BMC air filters
    - Novitec power optimised ECU's
    - Novitec springs with suspension adjustment to OE GTO specs

Again the choice is all yours but I thought I'd throw some ideas out there :D

11. mobiledev22

mobiledev22 Karting

Feb 20, 2015
    Boston
    Wow! Awesome project. I can't wait to see more pics and a video!

12. kiwifaza

kiwifaza Karting

May 12, 2009
    New Zealand
    hi , how do you upload video to this site , file is 68mb, i think thats to big and not sure how to down size it?

13. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    Can't wait to see it the startup.

How are you going to connect the lambdas to the GTO headers?

Youtube will be the easiest way to upload the video.

14. kiwifaza

kiwifaza Karting

May 12, 2009
    New Zealand
    #65 kiwifaza, Dec 1, 2015
    some more pics from today's efforts, the EGR pipe took a little nutting out, but by using the old pipe as a donor we lengthened the GTO pipe by adding in an extra flexible section , with the help of a school hood mate ,who is a very talented fabricator, who with GREAT care and skill ,"purge welded" the sections together, , this gave us the clearance to remount the EGR in a great position ,along with some extra flexibility as a bonus,, It was a day of little wins, we unpacked the new GTO springs ,and the rears are progressives,Nice stuff, the fronts are just normal but about an inch shorter, so with some measurements taken ,they were installed and just as got back to the shop with the EGR pipe it was ready to be lowered down and ,to my eye the height and rake is pretty damn great, the wheels just make it!! Just love em!!

15. kiwifaza

kiwifaza Karting

May 12, 2009
    New Zealand
    #66 kiwifaza, Dec 1, 2015
  16. F.Engineering

F.Engineering Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jan 23, 2015
    ITALY
    Full Name:
    Fabio
    Hi,
    you are doing an hard work ....
    What kind of race car Maserati is on the elevator? ..

17. glob1971

glob1971 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 3, 2011
    Czech Republic
    You have two different type of wheels, Y spoke thick design on the front and Y spoke thin on the back - at least on the driver side.

18. kiwifaza

kiwifaza Karting

May 12, 2009
    New Zealand
    Fabio, i ran into the owner today i asked him and it a AUTOSUD, one of 3 built in Italy ,Fiat engine, very pretty car which he loves to drive

golb, as for the wheels being different i think its a trick of the light, they are the same front and rear

19. HH11

HH11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 4, 2010
    It could be the light (and I cant tell), but there are two types of GTO wheels, thick and thin.

20. tajaro

tajaro Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2009
    Gulfport Florida
    Full Name:
    Erik V
    Hey... with all this work maybe you could be the pioneer for a 599 manual shift conversion and have the only gated "GTO" in the world...

Or not...

21. davebuchner

davebuchner Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Dave Buchner
    Did any one else notice the image of Elvis in the near side CAT in that picture?

22. kiwifaza

kiwifaza Karting

May 12, 2009
    New Zealand
    #73 kiwifaza, Dec 3, 2015
    today was about more reassembly, and cleaning as we go, after a chat with a guy who used to work at Connolly hides in England we learned that they used to use good old fashion Lux flakes to clean leather because it is pure soap with no spirits and a neutral ph , so after a quick trail i was blown away with how well it works
    A qiuck mid project wash for the car and i removed the drivers foot kick plate as it was badly scuffed , 20 mins of machine polishing and its like new ,
    First road test tomorrow, cant wait

23. MaseratiCorse

MaseratiCorse Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2014
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    What a car you have now :)

24. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    I am very interested in seeing whether you will be able to duplicate that GTO sound. I have read so much factory literature on the GTO engine so I am just wondering out loud as to whether a GTO exhaust, headers, etc. will get you that marvelous, elusive and unique GTO banshee wail. Point is that the GTO engine is more than just an exhaust and headers.