1971 London Motor Show - 365 GTC/4 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

1971 London Motor Show - 365 GTC/4

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by gudz, Nov 27, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gudz

gudz Karting

Nov 23, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Stephen Goodhand
    Thanks Ed, I found one on ebay Uk for £13 and snapped it up :)

2. torquespeak

torquespeak Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Good stuff. If you're doing it for a poster, place a sheet of black card behind the page when you scan it, which should help to avoid having the text from the next page showing through.

-Ed

3. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    I hope you are keeping that blue, it's one of the best colors these came in.

john

4. gudz

gudz Karting

Nov 23, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Stephen Goodhand
    Thanks for the advice Ed, I'll give that a shot.

John,
    Yep I'm sticking with Celeste Gainsborough, I think it's a really good period colour and is obviously as it left the factory which is nice too.

I toyed with Blue Ribot for a while. Strange that Rosso Corsa hasn't ever been an option in my head. I just don't think this particular model works in Ferrari Red.

S

5. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Only fifteen (15) 365 GTC/4's were originally painted Celeste Gainsborough 2.443.625.
    Pretty rare color I'd say. Perfect for the fabulous lines.

Marcel Massini

6. gudz

gudz Karting

Nov 23, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Stephen Goodhand
    Wow Marcel, where do you find this information?

does that make this the only RHD Celeste Gainsborough example, or am I asking too much of you now ;-)

7. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    In my archive.

Marcel Massini

14561 is one of only two RHD 365 GTC/4's originally painted Celeste Gainsborough. The other one is chassis #15709.

Marcel Massini

8. johngtc

johngtc Formula Junior
    Owner

Mar 4, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Gould
    #33 johngtc, Dec 1, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
    Stephen

I have only just picked up on this thread and have a couple of points which might be of interest.

First, I think I am right in saying that most (if not all) of Maranello Concessionaires publicity photos in the 60s/70s were done by Neill Bruce (Ferrari by Neill Bruce - Home). He might be able to sell you a copy of the GTC1 picture from the original negative - and possibly has more!

Secondly, on a more general topic, defining the Earl's Court Motor Show cars in that period could be a bit hazy. Of course, there were the cars on the Maranello run official Ferrari stand and usually one or 2 on the separate 'Pininfarina' stand - often the latest model or a special car such as the 365 California, 365P or 500 Superfast. Then there was the little known demo park! In those days manufacturers generally kept a small number of cars in a covered car park behind the exhibition hall in order to give potential clients a demonstration run - the traffic in London was much lighter 45 years ago! My highlight as a 14 year old was finding the unique Lamborghini 3500 Zagato in 1965!

Congratulations on your lovely car - I look forward to seeing it after the respray!

John

9. gudz

gudz Karting

Nov 23, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Stephen Goodhand
    #34 gudz, Dec 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Impressive Archive Marcel.

I just had a look on the 365 GTC4 registry and it looks like 15709 has succumbed to the Rosso Red treatment. It looks pretty good though.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #35 El Wayne, Dec 1, 2015
  11. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Factory records often (not always) state which chassis number was at which show.

Marcel Massini

12. gudz

gudz Karting

Nov 23, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Stephen Goodhand
    Thanks for this John, I've found the pictures of the car on Neill's online catalogues, and have sent an email to enquire on these any any others he might hold.

And yes I'll be sure to post pics of the finished paint job, a lot of work still to be done until that moment though.

13. torquespeak

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    ...and they were both originally run by Bealey, albeit - as Paul points out - were always for sale and use as demo cars etc.

-Ed

14. torquespeak

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    #39 torquespeak, Dec 3, 2015
    As shown in MOTOR, 30 October 1971. Photograph by either Maurice Rowe or Paul Skilleter (I assume after the acquisition by Autocar, this archive now belongs to Haymarket/LAT?)

Earlier in the thread it was stated that s/n 14555 was the Pininfarina stand car, but I would argue this image casts doubt on that...

To me this looks very much like the Zegna cloth centres within beige leather, which I believe is precisely what s/n 14561 was delivered with.

As far as I know, s/n 14555 was Connolly VM 3015 with full leather. In fact, I've never seen *any* GTC/4 with VM 3015 hide and cloth centres... did any leave the factory?

I would suggest that this image shows that s/n 14561 was the Pininfarina stand car, while s/n 14555 by deduction was on Maranello Concessionaires'.

Any thoughts?

-Ed

15. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Good find.

16. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #41 Marcel Massini, Dec 3, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
    Next step is to find out how close the two stands of Pininfarina and Maranello Concessionaires were at the London Motor Show 1971. Were the two stands parallel to each other, basically side by side and with an alley between them? If that was the case then the car in the photo of post #6 is 14555 and the one on the Maranello Concessionaires stand (NOT PF).

Marcel Massini

17. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
  18. gudz

gudz Karting

Nov 23, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Stephen Goodhand
    Great find Ed, but I've now got some additional photographic evidence through from Neill Bruce, he took publicity shots for Maranello Concessionaires back in 71' & 72'.

He's been kind enough to send me some amazing shots of Graham Hill standing with what looks like my car on the Maranello Stand in 1971. They're fantastic shot's and I'd love to share them, but Neill has requested that I don't for copyright reasons which I have to respect.

He's also sent me the photos taken from the Wentworth Golf Course Publicity Shoot, which was used in the Maranello Advert shown earlier in this thread, and I'm very thankful to him for both sets.

Anyhow, the car on the Maranello Stand also has the plaid inserts, its dificult to tell the exact colour as the photo's are black and white, but it certainly looks to be a Celeste Gainborough shade.

I think Marcel's info on 14555 being on the Pinifarina stand is correct, as the shade on that first photo from Ted Walker is darker than mine would photograph in black and white. I think your information on the interior must be incorrect and both cars must have had cloth inserts originally maybe?

Stephen

19. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Many 365 GTC/4's had the cloth tartan pattern in the center of the seats and door panels.
    However, there were at least seven (7) different versions available and at least one car had the tartan pattern on the seats only but not on the door panels.
    The cloth tartan pattern numbers were: 12, 22, 23, 41, 66, 81 and 84.

Marcel Massini

20. gudz

gudz Karting

Nov 23, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Stephen Goodhand

I would also say that photo doesn't appear to be taken at Earls Court, it certainly isn't the same place as the photo Marcel had of the Pininfarina stand car.

21. gudz

gudz Karting

Nov 23, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Stephen Goodhand
  22. gudz

gudz Karting

Nov 23, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Stephen Goodhand
    Ooops, sorry missed the point about the floorplan. I've just checked the magazine and Pininfarina was indeed next door to the Ferrari stand wth just an aisle between.

I'm still standing by the fact that Ed's shot from MOTOR is not taken at Earls Court, the Stand is very different, just check the flooring compared to Marcels shot in post 6.

Thanks for all your help investigating tho guys!

23. torquespeak

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    #48 torquespeak, Dec 3, 2015
    Stephen, the MOTOR photo is 100% taken at Earls Court, 1971 London Motor Show. The flooring would have been hired in, as can be seen in the Earls Court photos from 1968 (the Daytona) and 1967 (365 GT 2+2) below.

Furthermore, I've only just spotted the proof (without needing the floorplan) that these stands are adjacent to one another. Have a look at the details circled in red.

It is evident from the positioning of the banners that the photo from MOTOR is indeed the PF stand (s/n 14561), and facing in the opposite direction just feet away (and blocking our view of the other 365 GTC/4) is s/n 14555 on the Maranello Concessionaires stand.

-Ed

24. gudz

gudz Karting

Nov 23, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Stephen Goodhand
    Hi Ed,

The Maranello stand photo's I have here are on carpet, and shows a car with plaid inserts.
    I guess we need to know whether 14555 had full leather VM-3015 or not.

25. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    14555 did NOT have full leather.
    It had the cloth tartan pattern #66 and light blue carpets.

Marcel Massini