Mondial Issue PLEASE HELP!!!! | FerrariChat

Mondial Issue PLEASE HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by kitreid, Dec 3, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kitreid

kitreid Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Kris
    Hello all, and what a great site, so much informative topics on here, its fantastic...
    I recently purchased my beloved 82 Mondial ( English ) really happy, runs extremely well....
    However, it shuts down at anytime and will start again in about a 5 - 10min period. Starter spins, but no power or spark....can't here the fuel pump either. Then all of a sudden it wakes up and everything is perfect again....

Any assistance would be very grateful. Bad relays?

2. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    I have a 1988 1/2 3.2 (US version), so this answer may not apply, but when my car had that issue it was fuse board related. Sometimes fuel pump relay and sometimes starter relay. Look carefully for burned terminals at the fuse board, and perhaps that will be a good place to start.
    I would also search F'Chat for threads containing the words "no start", "intermittent start", "burned fuse", etc.
    Happy hunting!

3. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Just remembered that there is also a method for testing individual relays. You can do it with a battery charger, but I'll need to look up the procedure.
    Another method is to isolate the potentially troubled relays (start valve, fuel pump, ignition, etc.), pull the relay and put it in another slot for a similar relay (ex: windows, horn, wipers). If the window, horn, or wipers still work, then you know it isn't a bad relay.

4. petrolheadjeff

petrolheadjeff Karting

Apr 16, 2015
    London/Kent
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    what ever it is, it's the fuse box - almost always - they are horrid and totally unreliable junk

5. kitreid

kitreid Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Kris
    yes, I have learnt this....however I don't know where to find a replacement

6. kitreid

kitreid Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Kris
    Thank you mate

7. kitreid

kitreid Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Kris
    Mine is appreantly a basket case.......im not sure where or how to find a replacement. Would anybody know?

8. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    WELCOME TO THE MONDI FAMILY

we will hope to help you get the permanent smile on your face

some people have used this aftermarket company fusebox
    scuderia rampante

if you do a search here there are others that have done them

HOWEVER this is my suggestion

1) buy electrical contact cleaner and go through each component in the fuse box

2) buy some new relays for the fuel pump relay and sometimes starter relay

3)you can also remove the fuse box and resolder the connection on the backside

9. kitreid

kitreid Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Kris
    thanks mate......do I take all the fuses and relays out and simply spray?

10. kitreid

kitreid Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Kris
    yes, I have learnt this....however I don't know where to find a replacement

11. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    do it one part at a time
    spray and reinsert a couple of times - respray then seat the component

also do this to the connectors

in addition you can GENTLY push the contacts toward center

with the contact facing towards you , place very small screwdriver on the "white plastic holder side" and "push"towards the middle

the mods dont allow this website so delete the space and a .com on the end "scuderia rampante " for Dave Helms is who sells "the" upgraded aftermarket fuse box

12. kitreid

kitreid Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Kris
    yeah thanks, I found the site, and flicked a message.....sorry, but really no nothing about electrics......connectors etc.....I plan to replace fuel pump relays, and security ( apperantly its also my ACC )....ill remove and spray in there and replace......hopefully that's enough to keep her running. I don't want to go touching to much

13. kitreid

kitreid Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Kris
    Ok update for those interested, and those that may be experiencing the same issue....
    I used contact cleaner on the contact where I replaced 3x relays....2x Fuel, and one that said 'security'
    Car ran like a dream for about 20-30mins ( currently 29 degress in Melbourne also )

Im quality excited....as it would've shut down within 5 - 10 mins....

Ill really test it tomorrow :) will post if I was successful or not :)

14. drfink

drfink Karting

Oct 8, 2015
    Roanoke VA
    Full Name:
    Dean Fink
    Good luck on your test run.

15. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Replacing all the relays is considered good maintenance on our cars. The old metal ones corrode outside and inside. The new plastic Bosch relays are better sealed to the elements.

Replacing all the relays on my 3.2 Mondial transformed the car, everything worked better: Windows, lights, etc.

PM me for more info, I have two complete new relay sets I am going to put in the for sale section soon.
    Alden

16. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    I agree with Alden. This is what have done also after an intermittent pod issue, which didn't come out of its shell. The relays tend to be sticky on this age. 150 EURO/USD on relays saves you a lot of sorrow.

Check also the connections of your fuel pump on the pump itself. On your Mondi it is out in the open harassed by the elements. (If not get a new pump) Please pay attention as this is a pump that needs fuel running through for cooling else it will start to ignite :)

And Welcome to the Mondi club! They are fun cars! Have safe miles!

17. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    See you can learn about electronics AWESOME that its seems to be running

cleaning the fuse box is a yearly maintenance on my list to keep my girl running!

18. kitreid

kitreid Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Kris
    A massive thank you to all of you......I have taken on board all of your advice. Yes, I will certainly change all the relays. Until yesterday, a relay to me was a race.
    My fuse box is full of the original metal ones.
    As mentioned I replaced three, tested the car, and it went very well.....last night trying to sleep was like xmas eve....I couldn't sleep. tested again today, and still going strong......soooooo happy. And yes, I have noticed it starts better also, so im gonna replace all of them

19. jfrazar

jfrazar Karting
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed

Jun 26, 2004
    Savannah, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe Frazar
    Just a note to help you out. This was done on an 87 coupe I had and one customers car. The fuel injection system and fuel pump all share the same power supply out of the fuse box. One large brown wire feeds all of this. If my memory serves me correctly it is on the far right connector off the fuse panel. 3rd or 4th wire down. Bypass the fuse box completely and make a new relay circuit. Often times the circuits in the fuse box are failing and with a load create heat and heat creates resistance ie no power to pump or any of the fuel injection stuff. The new relay can be energized by the old switching circuit in the fuse box but a new power supply off of battery. If you need details I can provide. This will fix all power issues for the warm up regulator, fuel pump, cold start.

Joe Frazar
    Savannah, GA

20. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    I laughed. (sorry)

But don't throw the old ones away...

Keep them. Not that they are of any use; I think anything original is worth keeping.

21. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    kitreid, I'm glad your problem seems to be solved! I think F'Chat is incredibly cool in the sense that complete strangers halfway around the world from each other are constantly helping fellow car enthusiasts. An online "community" indeed!

22. kitreid

kitreid Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Kris
    Thanks mate, ill print this out and keep in the cars file. Thanks again

23. kitreid

kitreid Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Kris
    It is, you guys have been fantastic....I certainly hope I can assist in some way in return. Great site, great support for a first time owner

24. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    Please fill out your registration information so we can understand where you are located and other info. Thanks in advance.

25. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    #25 Alden, Dec 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Pics below are what the "W" connector (lower right white connector on the fuse panel) may look like as this circuit heats up and the new connector pigtail you can install to make things better.

More info here: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/mondial/503449-charred-w-connector-repair-kits.html
    Alden
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login