Who's Got There 488GTB?? | FerrariChat

Who's Got There 488GTB??

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by car doctor, Dec 5, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. car doctor

car doctor Karting

Dec 28, 2013
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike W
    Hi to all, was wondering how many lucky Plp have gotten there 488's in the states? Looks at this point I may have to wait 2years for mine, any suggestion to be able to obtain one sooner?
    Thanks Guys

2. Trincap

Trincap Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2010
    NorCal
  3. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    * yes but English is a tricky language...

To get possession of an early 488 you have two choices; pay a premium in the resale market or build a 'relationship' with your dealer by buying other cars from him. In that way you can move up quicker on the 'list' to get an allocation.
    Choosing the 488 coupe instead of the likely more popular spider version may also increase your chances. Some early buyers will trade their 488 coupe in again once their spider arrives which would also increase your chances of finding your own 488. If you see a 488 you like then talk the owner into selling it to you though the dealership it came from for a premium to cut out other potential buyers.
    Good Luck!

4. Scuderia Verde

Scuderia Verde Karting

Apr 27, 2015
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Excellent tip. When are the spiders supposed to be delivered? I have someone who I think would pay a premium to get one from someone with an allocation.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

5. zakeen

zakeen Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2004
    Czech Republic
    I feel sorry for you guys in the States. So many here in EU where you can just walk in and buy one. Im pushing hard for my dealer to find me a yellow Speciale with back strips and 4 point harness, which....can not find.

He had me sitting in the the 488 they have in stock, ready to sell at retail price. Almost pulled the trigger, such a nice car. But I want a Speciale and then order the new lightweight version of the 488.

Short answer is, move to EU :D life is good here.

6. car doctor

car doctor Karting

Dec 28, 2013
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike W
    Thank you for the grammar check, buddy

7. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    You may get Ferrari's early But your weather is no match for Florida :D

8. car doctor

car doctor Karting

Dec 28, 2013
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike W
    Yes, I kind of know that's how things go here, forgot to mention I have already purchased a 2008 430 spider. Still I have to wait so long. If I haven't bought a car from them, I wouldn't even be considered. Thanks for advise

9. car doctor

car doctor Karting

Dec 28, 2013
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike W
    I thought every Ferrari was made to order? Wonder what it takes to have a new shipped from Europe. Thanks for input

10. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    You can't import a euro version 488 for the North American market and register it. To make it comply with American automotive rules would be very expensive and Ferrari would not help you. Also no factory warranty on gray market imports either.
    Ferrari builds demo cars that are not initially for a particular customer order. Also sometimes a customer declines the car when it is built. This could be for any number of reasons from financial change to health change or a mistake by the dealership or the factory on the 'as ordered' specifications.
    A used low mileage 458 would give you 85% of the fun for a lot less money...

11. car doctor

car doctor Karting

Dec 28, 2013
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike W
    Makes sense, thanks for info.

12. car doctor

car doctor Karting

Dec 28, 2013
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike W
    Makes sense, thanks for info.

13. rlips

rlips Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    To answer the OP's question, mine is black 10 now, so I suspect I will have it stateside early March or so.

14. car doctor

car doctor Karting

Dec 28, 2013
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike W
    Thanks for sharing, how many or if any F cars have you bought from your dealer in the past? How long of a relationship you had with your dealer? and if you don't mind sharing the dealers and sales person name. Thanks again

15. Trincap

Trincap Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2010
    NorCal
    To answer OP question without the snarky answer, yes I had mine arrive in Jersey about three weeks ago.

16. Trincap

Trincap Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2010
    NorCal
    Oh and gray market for cars has been dead for a long time now. New rules and regs effectively killed it. I read somewhere there were a total of five (5!) cars successfully gray imported last year.

17. car doctor

car doctor Karting

Dec 28, 2013
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike W
    Congrats very happy for you, I believe all Ferrari's do come thur Jersey first since the headquarters are in Jersey, Im sure thats not why you got it so fast, may I ask how many F cars you bought from your dealer in the past? and how long of a relationship you had with them? Thanks

18. Jasone

Jasone Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 15, 2011
    Tampa Florida
    Full Name:
    Jasone
    I just got back from Spain and it was freezing! Couldn't agree more.. I'll wait a little longer for my car and live in Florida.

19. Az458

Az458 Karting

Apr 24, 2015
    There is 1 in the states.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. titanium430isback

titanium430isback Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2010
    the first allocation car is already here, mine which is the second one hit stage 90 two weeks ago

21. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    How about some pics my friend :)

22. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    #22 MalibuGuy, Dec 7, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
    Part of the reason is that the 488 is just starting to hit in the US. Even if you were at the top of a list, it might take 4-6 months for your car to arrive.

Hang in there. Be nice to your dealer but continue to let him know you want a car, and I bet you will get one sooner than 2 years. Good Luck!

Don't worry Ferrari wants to sell a lot of these cars!

23. rlips

rlips Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    Bought a Used 430, then a new 458 over a period of 5 years. Dealer is Ferrari of Central Jersey.

24. titanium430isback

titanium430isback Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2010
    #24 titanium430isback, Dec 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  25. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Very nice on a 488, is that grigio abu dhabi paint?