Had many 'supers' and just bought an FF | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Had many 'supers' and just bought an FF

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Lukeylikey, Nov 21, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    I understand the logic is that if you are in 5th gear or higher you don't need 4WD. Which makes some sense when you stop to think about it.
    And yes do do the alignment.

2. rubaga

rubaga Karting

Dec 10, 2006
    Congratulations! Beautiful car.

Also would love to understand adjustments to the geometry better to do them on my car. The winter is coming and a bit more handling will be helpful.

3. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    It looks great. Beautiful. Modern. Timeless.

Americans are not fond of any hatchback or wagon. We tend to like two seats, red and muscle cars.

Europe is more mature in that respect.

Would be a shame/great for us owners, if they lose the rear seat headroom and hatch space.

4. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    #29 Lukeylikey, Nov 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yes, here you go...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. 996TTurbo

996TTurbo Formula 3

Apr 9, 2006
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Lukey, congrats! I notice your name from mclarenlife (im iLLGT2)

I just picked up an FF... After driving it for 3 days I loved it, before buying it.

Now after buying it and the thought of my Mclaren MP4 may be going (getting a 675 in a bit) i'm having a tough time.

For a daily and even crossover supercar it truly is amazing.

My sense of "fast" is severely diminished however, i think the car is quick even though numbers say its fast. The mclaren has bent my mind in ever category and i've owned some awesome machines (my favorite being my RUF R-GT2)

I'm having a tough time with really one area, its the suspension/chassis/steering tuning?

I cant expect it to be like mclaren, porsche etc even though people say it can rival them.

I feel as if the car is way too jittery, never feels settled in sport. I had the same gripe with my short lived 458 which I hated.

I'm getting more use to it and will grow to love it im sure, but the handling just feels so odd. I noticed however if I switch to sport while moving over bumpy surface it almost calibrates the shocks better than turning the car on in sport and driving where it feels looser and not as tight.

The car had alignment and everything was good from dealer before buying it so not a issue with alignment/tires. I guess just a totally different feel of car from what im use to and something I hope to grow to love.

Enjoy your Lukey and all of the fellow FF owners, its an amazing machine overall!

6. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    Sorry a bit late to this party....

Congrats on the car and "welcome to the enlightened" on the FF.

Eric's comments are right on. The 4RM and the software (4RM, ABS, TCS and ESC) work astonishingly well together is low grip situations. The Ice vs. Wet vs. Comfort mode have noticeably different effects on throttle map, TCS sensitivity, ECS intervention threshold, etc.

"Generally speaking" - the FF isn't an AWD car. It's a part-time and conditional AWD car. And, "generally speaking", when you are at speeds that in this car are 5th gear territory, your trajectory and grip are less influenceable by power application at a given wheel (i.e if you're hauling beans in a 5th gear corner and suddenly need grip, it's not power that's going to save you...). (note, there are exceptions of course, see the FF winter rally video)

Some people have complained that the 4RM intervention is "too noticeable". In my experience (lots of experimentation), if you're in comfort or sport mode, the throttle is very sensitive, the engine has lots of torque, and the car is pitch sensitive....and if you're on/off, on/off, on/off the throttle, you can induce a bit of "lash" in the system (it's mild but you can notice it).

re tram lining - as Eric said, get the alignment checked and look over the tires. One thing I've noticed a few times is what I've concluded is it's the road surface itself, and the quick steering exacerbates the feedback loop.

Last, Sottzeroes make a huge difference - they are good in rain, OK in light snow, but are much better simply in the colder temps, where the Pzero's are simply bricks due to compound.

Enjoy the car

7. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Like anything else, I'm sure you'll get use to the sensations of the car. It will never feel quick compared to a 675LT, but what does outside of the big three or a Bugatti. Once I think you settle into the fact that you're driving such a capable 4 seat GT, that looks unique, goes like hell, sounds amazing and has true everyday capabilities you'll realize how special it is.

8. Dr JonboyG

Dr JonboyG Karting

Jul 26, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Gitlin
    I think that's just a philosophical difference in the way Ferrari and McLaren use their electronics to give the cars some character. The FF does move around a lot more even when you're driving relatively sedately, but it feels like it's within prescribed limits in the code.

9. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    The Comfort mode is a bit floaty.

Sport with Bumpy Road is a great place to be.

10. vaderinc

vaderinc Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2010
    Dubai, UAE
    Full Name:
    Mario
    +1

11. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Gentlemen, I'm just getting interested in the FF. I drive about 16K per year do you think the FF could stand up to that kind of mileage for seven years?

12. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    The service managers all tell me the more they're driven the better. It's a car like other cars you drive a lot, just a very high quality car. Ferrari is not a precious brand, the FF like the F12 etc. are made very well these days.

There is a 50,000 miles in 3 years car that was a Fchat member and sold for around 160,000.

Would you get a new one or go for 2014 used under 5000 miles?

13. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    The problem with the FF is trying to find a companion in the garage - it does everything so well it really has no rivals. Nothing comes close IMO, I was joking to my SA today and said my next car will probably just be another V12FF. I drive it every day and I have put on 12k-kms in the last 1.5 years. What car!

Been contemplating adding a 458 spider or coupe to the mix but when I sat in them I felt squashed, I am 6'3 and it just felt tight - might just have to live with that or customize to the racing seats to add space. I really want to put something else in my garage next to the FF by next fall. I thought maybe GT4, GT3 - can't get myself to love them. Maybe R8, Huracan (RWD) - bah I have been there done that. I was going to get on the list for the 488/California T but I feel like i should experience the last of the Ferrari NAs before moving onto Turbos. F12? or is too similar to the FF?

Very confused.. very!

14. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I would like a Speciale Aperta but the cost is out of reach. R8 and Hurucan are boring and too small. Really enjoying a new 911 GTS cab. It's fun and tight and small but has a back seat-ish ... and the seats are comfy if you're not too wide. Not as fast as the FF, but around town or for a twisty track it's very satisfying.

15. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013
    If you keep it that long - don't see why not, they are very well-built

16. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Yes, I think I know what you mean. So far I have not really been able to put the FF through a real 10/10ths drive but there are a number of things I have noted. In respect of performance compared to my 12C, I suppose it is about what you expect from the car? Clearly a nearly 2 tonne, front engined, n/a V12 will have some pretty large differences in driving experience to a twin turbo 1.4 tonne rwd mid car!

I was already prepared to not feel that turbo shove in the back, but then part of my reasoning for thinking about a Ferrari V12 was because it does not have turbos. My Speciale will always stay with me I hope, in no small part because it is so precise with the throttle - both on and off throttle applications. The FF is similar - in fact one of the things I have noted is that it is incredibly responsive to off-throttle movements, which is a BIG plus point if you like to drive with a little more pace but still retain a good degree of safety. For instance, since there is more forward weight than either my Speciale or the 12C so a big off-throttle moment will cause the front to weight up heavily and the rear to unweight quickly. Therefore, you need the ability to measure it subtly and there, it is a very willing companion.

The quid pro quo for not having the turbo thrust is the smooth and effortless but scintillating urge you get from that big, beefy V12. I suspect the performance is not very far behind the 12C at all, though the feeling is very different because the power delivery is so linear - and this is what I love.

Tyres make a huge difference, especially in the cold. I think part of the tramlining issue I mentioned before (could be similar to your "jittery" feeling) is the tyres. In cooler temperatures the P Zeros don't work as well, as someone mentioned earlier. I changed for the Michelin Alpin winters and the tramlining is completely gone. Replaced of course, by the slight squirming feeling you get from winter tyres. The Alpins are actually quite incredible because they allow 660hp through them with very minimal squirm and still provide entertainment. Summer tyres when nicely up to temp on a warmer day allow the car to weight up beautifully in corners and that is very rewarding. With the winters this weight transfer happens much quicker and you have to be aware of it, but otherwise winter tyres do not equal "removal of fun" in the Ferrari FF.

The front tyres, carrying more weight, are of course wider than for a mid engined car. This does give a very different feeling and does mean that uneven road surfaces will have a greater impact on steering. There is not too much feel from the FF helm but overall the car is very 'sensory' in that it is accurate and you do seem to be aware of what it wants to do and when it wants to do it. It is an engaging drive, but as is the Ferrari way, one where you must become a key part of the process. With the McLaren it just works on your behalf to make sure you can go as quickly as you can! Ultimately comparing a mid car with four seat front engined car is not really apples with apples but I am beginning to find out how remarkable the FF is.

Is it as sporting as a 12C? No. Certainly nowhere near a Speciale. But it is enjoyable, rewarding, accessible, usable (even feels sensible to take the car on motorway journeys when a 'boring' executive car wold be just as appropriate) and very very fast over ground. It also has a lot of space and I'm finding it super amusing to have three other people in the car with me as I get a bit lively behind the wheel...

In the end, every car has its faults. The best way to evaluate them is by what they do for you and how they make you feel. While other cars can do the second just as well, none can do both quite as well together.

Well, that's what I've found in my limited time so far. I heard a journalist say that driving an FF in the summer can be a little confusing. As soon as things get a bit more inclement it all makes sense, and very quickly! I think he was right. I suspect it may be a while before I don't have an FF in my garage because I am finding lots of uses for it, and perhaps that is the best compliment I can pay it.

-K1- likes this.
  17. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    My Porsche rep called me again today, we are picking up a Cayenne Turbo (replace the 2012 s) for the family on Saturday. Anyhow he said "IF I can get you a GT4, grab it - you will love" as a fun ride that won't burn a hole in your pocket and is very engaging etc. and different then what I/we have. I am tempted, just not as excited as a 458 would make me; even if I can't really fit comfortably in it without the racing seats.

I like the 991 GTS, that actually might be a better fit then a GT4 - a 7spd. might be fun to own and keep till right financial time to pull the trigger on a 458 etc.

I have no idea how long I will keep mine, but I can honestly say that there is nothing out there I would replace it outside of a lower km version of itself.

18. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013

+1

19. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I'd probably go for a used car from a dealer.

20. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013

Exactly what I did. Found one with 17'000km knowing I would be going for the face-lift FF in 2016

21. 996TTurbo

996TTurbo Formula 3

Apr 9, 2006
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Lukey thanks for the reply.

I'm liking the car A LOT, now. It feels smaller, tighter and im getting use to the feel and size. Its definitely pretty damn fast, nowhere near mclaren fast however im sorry. I've decided to keep both as they compliment each other well. Like you, I wanted a NA monster engine thats usable/practical, thought about going back to an older m5 or m6 and just couldnt deal with reliability. I did run a 600 cc bike and it was eating it up nicely, same as my bentley supersports did on the highway. these are highway MONSTERS

I also want you and anyone else to try something out, I guarantee you chassis/shock tuning will feel completely different. First off, I have the steering wheel down to its lowest position, and its not all the way in but very close (I adjust seat to get closer however im 6'3 so its not much, i have long arms) I feel way more connected with steering wheel all the way down and in, just like on mclaren or gt2 where it was fixed with the RUF wheel.

Now as for suspension, ive always noticed with adaptive dampers that if you turn the car on, or its standing still and you put it in sport, track it never full adapts in my feeling. What I do is I pull out onto the road and switch it from comfort to sport going over some uneven surface. I notice the shocks get WAY stiffer, steering tighter and the car feels so much more connected and sharp. Its strange, but im telling you im in tune with things like this, try it out and let me know. The car loses alot of the float and feels so much more direct, steering not as jittery or unsettled.

Anyway enjoying the car a lot, I may pursue RWD conversion however, ive done it on tons of cars however the system on this car seems complex, not sure if I can. I'm in florida so i dont need the AWD capability, and well, I've been able to whip back end out nicely as is, just have to get use to the weight and throttle and if youre a DRIVER its easy... Most would probably be way too scared to try, for me its second nature from racing

All the best
    Martin

22. 3240

3240 Karting

Apr 13, 2014
    Denver
    Full Name:
    John
    RWD conversion is not possible.

23. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    In Race/Off mode we can have a little fun, but IMO it's hard to get the back end moving. Well weighted and the fronts.

24. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    #49 Lukeylikey, Dec 13, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
    I'll try and remember to have a go next time I'm in the car. No doubt Mac is faster, due to less weight. Turbo delivery does make it hard to assess the comparative performance of the two cars though. My guess is that FF is only one step behind and above about 125mph it might even be quicker due to significant extra power? Around a track/fast curving road, weight would be the FF's issue and the Mac would be quite a bit faster.

Edit: just remembered, I have a friend with an F12 and I know 12C is at least as fast as that across ground (driven a couple of thousand miles with each other). However much quicker F12 is than FF, is about how much quicker the 12C is.