The million dollar Maranello? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

The million dollar Maranello?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by MogulBoy, Oct 22, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Brad- Facts is facts. You need real info to make a strong argument. Neither of those 575s is what I would call typical, especially since the HGTC Superamerica was LHD and sold in the UK. We know all about the F1/3 pedal prices widening, but that has nothing to do with the run-up in 550 and F1 575Ms prices we are currently seeing. They are pretty and V12s. Should have kept your 550.

2. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Im glad I sold it. The car was absolutely beautiful and handled brilliantly. But other than that it just wasn't for me. I racked up a ton of miles on it, but it felt too mercedes-like to me. Just not my taste. It is a great car though. Going to do a Vanquish or a Vantage this spring.

3. Jürgen Geisler

Jürgen Geisler Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2015
    Good old Europe
    Full Name:
    Jürgen
    In this case, I would personally recommed a V8 Ferrari, quiet sure, you'll not be happy with the mentioned Aston's as well..

Saluti,

Jürgen

4. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    V12 Vantage? I think that is a great car and it gets rave reviews. I like the new Vanquish as well. Can't really compare these more modern cars to a 550 though...

5. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    And no 355 is worth more than 65k.

6. Andrewo

Andrewo Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2011
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
  7. MaseratiCorse

MaseratiCorse Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2014
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    Very lovely indeed, but I have always found the rear buttresses on the SA rather odd looking and a bit tall for the proportions of the car. 550 Barchetta a far prettier car IMHO.

8. licodix

licodix Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2009
    Central
    Full Name:
    Barchetta Mad Max
    Even no Superamerica is worth what was paid at Bonhams over the weekend. Maybe just a drunken banker trying to get rid of his Christmas bonus? Honestly the higher they climb, the harder they fall.

These cars are lovely Ferraris, but initially intended to get some more examples out of the stalling sales of the 575 at the end of its term. Overrating and overpaying them is nonsens. Rarety drives the market, but around 500 units is not rare in its true sense. They are used modern open-top sportscars. That is it.
    Who cares if a 500unit run is further segmented by HGTC or Manual gearshift? These were simply options, easy to order and not special features unique to some cars.

Apart from the SA - I even do not understand why a used 575 should be worth more than a 599? This is what is happening on the market as well. Do not get it.

9. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Nice whine. L-88 and L-89 were just options on Corvettes, too. Want to go buy a nice 67 with those options? 39 total 3 pedal Superamericas is rare, but 3 pedal 550s are not. Both are increasing in price. Market forces are not always tritely explained.

10. MogulBoy

MogulBoy Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2004
    Devon
  11. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    This is a pretty good comparison, as a past owner of a 68 L88 corvette when I sold mine for nearly $600000 one could by an identical 68 corvette with any other engine for maybe $40000
    But there were only a total 216 L88 corvettes built and they command much more are they worth it who to say.. The guy that bought mine owned a couple ...
    The same year a couple of weeks earlier my buddy sold his 1967 L88 for $3500000 since it was even rarer was that worth it hard to imAgine ..
    But they're still commanding big money ...
    Apparently at bonhams on that day that particular 575sa was worth it

12. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Your right. There is a 355 local car that has been sitting unsold at a local dealer for 59k for 3 years. Full dealer history, 2 owner car..full service just done at the dealer (well three years ago). They are going to dump the car at auction just to get rid of the thing.

13. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    In this instance there is a very simple explanation. All the QE money has gone straight into financial assets which largely benefits the top 1% which in turn has led to hyper inflation in the price of goods highly coveted by them i.e. limited edition collectibles. What cannot be predicted easily is when will the music stop. All depends on how long the fed will take to normalize rates.

14. abilliet

abilliet Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2006
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Antony Billiet
    I agree with MaseratiCourse. In my opinion I don't think the SuperAmerica is a particularly beautiful compared to the 550/575 coupe . In fact for that reason alone I would never buy one

15. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Antony- Judging from what you guys down under have to pay for Ferraris, probably not much of an issue now. That time has passed for most of us normal car freaks.

16. abilliet

abilliet Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2006
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Antony Billiet
    #41 abilliet, Dec 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Very true Taz ! It's interesting that MaseratiCourse find the styling clumsy and he comes from Australia too
    A superamerica for sale for about Aus $ 650 k =. U.S. $ 466 k and 306 k pound
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    That one would probably bring more at auction in the UK. There are only 6 RHD Superamericas with three pedals.

18. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    .......and of course it must be in blu Tour de France/cuoio! ;-)

19. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    If it's a stick with a fixed roof, please PM me the info. I'll buy it.

Not to derail the thread, but a low mile (6k) 96 GTS just sold near the ask of 165k

20. saghat

saghat Karting

Jan 29, 2006
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Scott
    $165 was the ask, what # are you basing 'near the ask' on? Car could have sold for $100 for all you know

21. MogulBoy

MogulBoy Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2004
    Devon
    #46 MogulBoy, Jan 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  22. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    FHP is much rarer on Superamericas than HGTC, but not worth as much. Some of these Superamerica buyers probably had no idea what HGTC or FHP are.

23. parothed97

parothed97 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2008
    Toronto
    682k with roof delamination issues

" it should be noted that the roof panels are beginning to delaminate and appear cloudy"

24. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Each their own, but IMHO the super america has the dumbest roof design ever to see production.

25. bikerbob100

bikerbob100 Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2007
    Naples/Spider LK, WI
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Did anyone see the two 550's one black the other Grigio go through Russo and
    Steele? I viewed the cars but wasn't able to be there this evening.