Ferrari 400 questions about oil,shocks,airco, etc | FerrariChat

Ferrari 400 questions about oil,shocks,airco, etc

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by mertenstom, Mar 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mertenstom

mertenstom Rookie

Feb 17, 2004
    Hello,
    I ust acquired a Ferrari 400 Automatic, it is a car from the UK.
    Maybe someone can help me with a few questions I have about this car...

Can I drive the car on unleaded fuel or do I need to add a lead replacement product?
    What modern oil is recommended for the engine? The instruction book calls for SAE 10W-50?!
    Where can I find the oil filters?
    Where can I find new rear shock absorbers?
    Is it still possible to have the airco filled with Freon 12 or is this now forbidden for environmental reasons, and if so, is threre a solution?
    Thanks,
    Tom
    Belgium

2. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    Tom,

First of all is your car a carb or injection car as the parts differ.

Yes you can drive the car on unleaded, but if you intend any track days or are going to do sustained high speeds then a leaded supplement is desirable.

You can use 10W-50 oil, but oil is a personal choice as there are many new modern oils in the market, currently in the UK we use 5W-40.

Oil filters are available worldwide, however they are available in the UK

Likewise rear shockabsorbers are in stock in the UK.

Freon R12 has been replaced with R134a, You will need to have your system "updated" to accept the new gas.

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Tom -- Welcome to a wonderful disease. Modesty prevents Malcolm from including this in his post, but your first resource for F parts information and pricing for your model should be the FerrariUK spare parts website accessed thru the www.owners.ferrari.com website.

(It can be kind of hassle to get registered, but) You'll get access to all the F Owners Manuals at the Owners Site (mille grazie Ferrari -- I certainly appreciate it), and the spare parts catalogue illustrations (which can also convey a lot of good assembly information) can be viewed at the FerrariUK spare parts site along with their prices (that alone makes them the premier worldwide F parts supplier IMO when it comes to treating their clientele well). Sometimes the US sources (e.g., T. Rutlands) will beat them on price for a particular PN, but US-sourcing may not be cost-effective for you (whereas, FerrariUK has established a reasonable UK-US connection).

Fill out some information in your Profile -- we won't remember your location or F model/year/version ;)...