Would you swap a CS for a 458? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Would you swap a CS for a 458?

Discussion in '360/430' started by maxhubris, Dec 18, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    YES ! but I would want 80K cash too

2. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    458's in Europe are 140K

3. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

+ 1. So simply stated!

4. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Around how many miles Richard? That's a great buy...

5. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

6. drivhrd

drivhrd Rookie

Sep 30, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    Nope. I have a CS and have driven a 458 on the track. While I was impressed with the technical capability of the much faster 458, it felt synthetic to me compared to the high emotion and delicate balance of the CS. I came away absolutely convinced I'll never swap.

7. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Depends.

No - If you are concerned about resale.

Yes - If you want to go for a Speciale.

8. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    #58 SCEye, Dec 22, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
    i think we have to post in 458 section as well.
    I,for one, would be awfully tempted to trade

9. bing28

bing28 Karting

Apr 12, 2015
    North Orange County
    Full Name:
    Lin
    No way Jose!

10. Giallo77

Giallo77 Karting

Feb 24, 2005
    Switzerland
    #60 Giallo77, Dec 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    As you may know I had a CS for nine years (2006 - 2015) and did almost 40'000 miles with her, many on European race-tracks. I loved the CS but I felt that - on race tracks! - she became an "oldtimer" more and more... Beyond it, the prices for CS climbed and climbed! so I decided this february to switch to the new 488 GTB when I was offered a very good price from a collector here in Switzerland.

And now a have the 488 GTB since five weeks and you know what? I love it and I can't wait to go with her to the race tracks next year and blow away the competitors... Sound- and emotionswise the 488 GTB is not so bad as many in this forum insist although they mostly never have driven the new car.

But I agree with most of us - the CS is an icon and a keeper (if you want to collect Ferraris)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    Collecting and value retention - CS of course.

Better car to drive and own 458 of course. CS gearbox is terrible and is slow now.

12. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
  13. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
  14. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    And have you seen the black CS with 12'500 km for CHF 268'000.-? Not one inquiry during the last six months.

Or the red Scuderia with 35'900 km for CHF 195'000.-? Not one serious inquiry since the car is on the web.

Yes, the 458's are flooding currently the market an the prices will drop even further. But on the other hand it seems that the in the meanwhile quite expensive "special models" stand as cement in the show rooms.

15. GWat

GWat Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    USA
    I have owned my CS since new in '04, my first and only Ferrari. I recently felt it was time to change up to newer technology as my CS certainly cannot compete in the speed department with anything currently offered from Maranello or pretty much any current top line sports car.

I was considering a 488 GTB since it is built on the excellent 458 platform, but way faster. So, I went for my second test drive in a Italia. I came away from the test unimpressed (again) by the total lack of excitement that my CS provides, and pretty much have written off the idea of trading up. It felt like someone had knocked off all the edges off what made my Stradale special until all the personality was gone. Like taking a diamond and taking all the edges off until you are left with a smooth round rock.

Since I'm not on the track much (the last time I was out there my CS felt positively anemic compared to the 458's out there) and I could see the draw to a 488 if I was a regular track guy, but I'm really not and most of my time is spent on drives out of my garage.

In that space I have a hard time believing that an Italia or a faster 488 could provide me with the same feel of my CS. Just the way the door closes on my CS feels special, with a lightness and precision that no other car I've gotten into feels. Maybe a Speciale', an F12 or a 488 Monza (or whatever the light weight end of production car will be called) would be a worthy trade, but for now I am very content with my older and slower CS.

16. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
  17. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    if the OP is in the usa and has a clean low mile CS id say no

no idea outside of the US