360 6 speed conversion kit | Page 3 | FerrariChat

360 6 speed conversion kit

Discussion in 'Ferrari Parts & Collectibles' started by redlightrich, Dec 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    Clutch life in itself is an interesting argument. Value probably wont ever touch that of a factory manual, but if the conversion was done properly id absolutely pay more for a converted car over an f1 model and i think others would too.

2. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    Only $2200? Did you do the work yourself?

3. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill

I would have paid more for my exact car had it been converted to manual. No doubt. $4k plus without even thinking about it. Maybe up to $6k more. I bought my car despite the F1 system. It had EVERYTHING else I was looking for. Major just done a month before at the dealer. Tires were 30 miles old. Brakes done. Fuel pump done. Leather perfect. 20k miles (ideal as any gremlins were driven out but not too many miles to where is was worn). Black. Daytona seats. Like I said, the ONLY issue was the F1. It worked fine, but the fear of failure paired with the loss of enjoying manual shifting was the only negative. Still bought it and it's been trouble free for 4k miles so far

4. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al
    I like the idea of a conversion, although my 360 is a MT. It would have made the shopping experience and 18 month wait for a MT less stressful.

Sent by incredibly fast electrons

5. jackgt

jackgt Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2015
    california
    Full Name:
    Jack
    I guess I should feel lucky as my 3 pedal 360 just landed in my lap by a neighbor that I did not know had one!!!!

6. Keith360

Keith360 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Keith Williams
    I would be interested to see what the parts list looks like and confirm the parts. I was thinking the other day, "I LOVE SHIFTING MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS MYSELF!"

7. Keith360

Keith360 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Keith Williams
    Subscribed

8. ksanjana

ksanjana Karting

Oct 28, 2014
    Houston, TX
    I think I ma getting sick of the F1 too, Just paid over 8k to have it rebuilt by GTE last year I am having shifting probs in traffic already. Count me in, I am curious to see how we can have this taken care of.

9. f360nh

f360nh Karting

Apr 12, 2014
    NH
    Full Name:
    John Q.
    What was your experience with GTE? I had their name in my back pocket in case my F1 starts misbehaving...

10. cfensty

cfensty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 1, 2008
    South Carolina
    Not sure if we will be hearing anything on this or not since redlightrich is MIA and he seems to be the only one who has done this. I just sent Rich a msg to see if he would put together a parts list and DIY write up. He would make a lot of friends and probably receive some nice dinners and bottles of wine if he did! Yes that is a bribe.

Anyone have a contact at Francorchamps to see if they still do the instrument cluster setting change and what that would cost?

Fingers crossed...

11. f360nh

f360nh Karting

Apr 12, 2014
    NH
    Full Name:
    John Q.
    I had started a part list in the past and it wasn't really economical to do the swap...may try to find my old documents and will post what I have.

The part list is not hard to re-construct, there are only 2 or 3 categories of parts (shifter, linkage at back, pedal box if I recall correctly). But original cost of parts will make it not worth it and I priced it out even with online used parts from eBay and it wasn't looking great...

12. cfensty

cfensty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 1, 2008
    South Carolina
    Yeah, I'm thinking at least $10k plus a lot of labor and stress. Would be a fun project but not sure you would see any ROI. I don't mind the F1 with updated ecu.

13. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill

I could care less about the cluster change to be honest. I'd still do it even if the cluster was F1. Heck give me old school tach and speedo and I'd be happier. Needles and dials over computer stuff any day.

14. ksanjana

ksanjana Karting

Oct 28, 2014
    Houston, TX

GTE was not too bad, just too busy when it came to actually rebuilding the unit. My F1 system sat on their shelves for over 3 weeks before they could get to it. I think they had some race or an event they were attending to. From what I understand that's normal sop when it comes to rebuilding units they don't service.

15. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    not sounding positive :(

16. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Hired a indie BMW shop here. Parts were mostly used however. The biggest challenge was reflashing a Ecu for the tach i think it was. The mechanical changes to a 360 F1 to stick are pretty straightforward. The challenge is always the electronics.
    Can recoup some funds by selling F1 pumps etc...

17. Keith360

Keith360 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Keith Williams
    So more on the thoughts on the electronics. Correct me if I'm wrong please. I see the shift / gear indicator needs to change or be disabled. But what else, obviously the actuation system removed and tcu removed the throttle would not be influenced. What about CEL's generated because of lack of signal? What is inplace of the shift indicator on the tach?

18. gobuffs2002

gobuffs2002 Karting

Aug 7, 2010
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    John
    Don't get me wrong, I love a 3 pedal car as much as the next guy. My 2002 Modena was a real F1 shifting nightmare until I upgraded the original TCU to the CS TCU. It was a world of difference. The F1 Shifting is now sharp, concise, very quick and performs much better than a human shifting a 3 pedal. It transformed the car into a "New" car.

Total cost, $2200 for the TCU and $150 for the installation from a Ferrari dealer.

I'm not sure a conversion to a manual is worth the investment or the headaches that come with a non factory original 3 pedal.

19. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    Disconnect gauges and use aftermarket ones. Problem solved

20. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    I drove a stock 360 Stick once and it was not too fun

Sorta like a uhaul truck

Looks cool though with the gate

All in all the f1 seems more fun but what are other people's experiences ?

21. cfensty

cfensty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 1, 2008
    South Carolina
    I had the same experience when I was shopping for a 360. Couldn't tell if the car wasn't properly maintained or if that was normal. Car drove fine but would have been rough on a longer trip or on track. Clutch was like doing leg presses even compared to my 308. Had to be something wrong with it.

22. 1mean3

1mean3 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2012

Funny

23. duskybird

duskybird F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    29 Electoral Votes
    Full Name:
    Bill B.
    As I said before If Rich doesn't reply to this I'll try to put together a list of parts for the conversion sometime in January.
    Francorchamps charges around $250.00 to reflash the cluster.

24. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    I would surmise there was something wrong with the car. The shifter bushing is known to break causing terrible shifting.

25. wiskit

wiskit Rookie

Aug 27, 2014
    I have a 2001 F360 Modena from Hong Kong and would also like to convert her from F1 to gated cos the F1 system started failing on me recently