Any ACTUAL 488 owners regretful? | FerrariChat

Any ACTUAL 488 owners regretful?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by fredhassen, Dec 24, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fredhassen

fredhassen Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2015
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Full Name:
    Fred Hassen
    If so......why?

I wouldn't think so but thought I'd ask anyway.

Cars:

2013 Ferrari 458 Spider (Daily Driver)

Ordered 2016 Evora 400

2. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Too soon.

3. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    #3 MalibuGuy, Dec 24, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
    Why so negative?
    The 458 although wonderful is not perfect and has its own flaws.
    Time marches on.

Keep your 458 and be happy.

But If you buy the 488 you are likely to be happy too. And yes the 488 is faster than a 458 all day long. So much so that it isn't even a race. 670 hp vs 562.

4. 430Pat

430Pat Karting

Apr 12, 2011
    Conn./West Palm
    Full Name:
    Pat
    #4 430Pat, Dec 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I must be tone deaf I traded in my 458 and never looked back I am driving the crap out of my 488 and am absolutely thrilled with every aspect of the car and when the replacement comes in a few years good bye 488 and in with whatever insane car Ferrari creates next.
    I am 58 and to old to worry about trade in value or what the next car costs etc.,etc.,etc. if you like the car buy it if not keep what you have it's all good,personally I have never seen,heard or driven a Ferrari that I did not like. If anyone on this forum has a Ferrari they really hate give me a call I will be happy to take it off your hands and end your misery.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Cognitive dissonance. Check it out.

Consumer behavior Edit
    Existing literature suggests that three main conditions exist for arousal of dissonance in purchases: the decision involved in the purchase must be important, such as involvement of a lot of money or psychological cost and be personally relevant to the consumer, the consumer has freedom in selecting among the alternatives, and finally, the decision involvement must be irreversible.[38]

A study performed by Lindsay Mallikin shows that when consumers experience an unexpected price encounter, they adopt three methods to reduce dissonance:[39] Consumers may employ a strategy of constant information, they may have a change in attitude, or they may engage in trivialization. Consumers employ the strategy of constant information by engaging in bias and searching for information that supports their prior beliefs. Consumers might search for information about other retailers and substitute products consistent with their belief states. Alternatively, consumers may show change in attitude such as reevaluating price in relation to external reference prices or associating high or low prices with quality. Lastly, trivialization may occur and the importance of the elements of the dissonant relationship is reduced; consumers tend to trivialize importance of money, and thus of shopping around, saving, and receiving a better deal.

Cognitive dissonance is also useful to explain and manage post-purchase concerns. A consumer who feels an alternate purchase would have been better will likely not buy the product again. To counter this, marketers have to convince buyers constantly that the product satisfies their need and thereby helps reduce their cognitive dissonance, ensuring repurchase of the same brand in the future.[citation needed] An example of post-purchase dissonance resolution used in a client relation is a salesperson congratulating his buyer on "having made the right choice".

At times cognitive dissonance is induced, rather than resolved, to market products. The Hallmark Cards tag line "When you care enough to send the very best" is an example of a marketing strategy that creates guilt in the buyer if he or she goes for a less expensive card. Such aggressive marketing ensures that the recipient also is aware that the product has a premium price. This encourages the consumer to buy the expensive cards on special occasions.

6. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Awesome car, enjoy!

7. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast

Awesome. I agree with you and I'm only in my early 40s. I thought my 430 was the absolute best until I got the 458. I'm certain the 488 will be the same for me when it arrives in 8 weeks. I suspect the NA arguments will be like the old double clutch/manual arguments of the 430-458. Either way I could care less. I can't wait...:)

8. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Yes of course.

There are many purchases which in the end turn out to be right. The customer may not be confident at the time of purchase. So in retrospect if he did make the right purchase it may take time for him to understand this, and sometimes he will discover something new which he may not have foreseen as important until after owning and using the product.

Then there is always the possibility of either making the wrong purchase, buying a bad product, of the mistake of passing on a good product.

9. Melons

Melons Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2013
    I can't wait for mine and keeping the speciale... :)

10. Jasone

Jasone Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 15, 2011
    Tampa Florida
    Full Name:
    Jasone
    Love it! so glad you are enjoying your car. So many people predicted exactly what you are experiencing now. In 12 months.. the 458 will become the F430 of the past.

Happy Holidays!

11. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Well said Pat...that is one hot banana !!!

12. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    Well said and congrats on your beautiful new toy !

13. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    Fits perfectly to a few purchaser of a 458 in this forum. Therein lies the reason for the dislike against a successor product like the 488, otherwise I can not explain certain intolerant attitudes.

14. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    A Mellow Yellow 488 makes for miles of smiles! You will never lose that one in the parking lot; just look for the crowd...

15. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami

Phil.....you hit the nail on the head with the explanation of the defensive position being taken by many owners.

Dissonance theory applies to all situations involving attitude formation and change. It is especially relevant to decision-making and problem-solving.

Example:

Consider someone who buys an expensive exotic car but discovers that it is not as fast or as technologically advanced as a newer iteration on the market. Dissonance exists between their beliefs that they have bought a great exotic car and that a great exotic car should be the fastest and have the latest technology.

Dissonance could be eliminated by deciding that it does not matter since the car is mainly used for short trips (reducing the importance of the dissonant belief) or focusing on the cars strengths such as the exhaust note, appearance, or that it is naturally aspirated (thereby adding more consonant beliefs).

The dissonance could also be eliminated by getting rid of the car, but this behavior is a lot harder to achieve than changing beliefs.

16. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Congrats on the yellow beast.

Have fun with it!

17. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I test drove a 488gtb and not gonna lie, it is spectacular!!! Ferrari as a company just continues to raise the bar! (;-))

18. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I would be very surprised if any of the existing 488 owners are dissatisfied. To receive their cars this early would mean they were the first,or close to first, in their area the have the car. This also means they ordered the car with many options and the final price in doubt. All of this indicates a firm belief that Ferrari will deliver a wonderful product.

The real question will come from those that are further back in line and/or more contemplative in their decision process (e.g. are they considering other options). The issue for me is I don't see that much difference in the 488 vs the 458, especially considering the cost differential. Unless a test drive really blows me away I will wait until the major model change in 5 years.

19. 430Pat

430Pat Karting

Apr 12, 2011
    Conn./West Palm
    Full Name:
    Pat
    That is a personal choice you are making and that is great I loved my 430 and couldn't believe Ferrari could improve on it then I got my 458 WOW, guess what got my 488 and I have no idea how Ferrari does it. the only way I can describe it is just plain crazy.
    Enjoy your 458 great car.At 58 I figure I have maybe 4-6 more new cars. Then I hope Ferrari makes wheel chairs so I can chase old ladies in the retirement home.

20. gef3rd

gef3rd Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 21, 2009
    Palos Verdes Estates
    Full Name:
    George
    If you make it to the retirement home, you won't need a Ferrari wheelchair to chase old ladies. Based on the stories I've heard, the ratio will be significantly in your favor and the ladies will be chasing you in their Ferrari wheelchairs.

I was looking at a 675LT yesterday. They asked me if I wanted to test drive it. I said I would just test drive a 650 since the 675 was tucked in the corner of the showroom and it was Christmas Eve. The torque and acceleration were absolutely nuts. I had a 458 and currently a Speciale and I don't think any 488 buyers will be disappointed. If people want to justify a reason not to have the latest from Ferrari, there are a lot of people who will be happy to take their allocation.

It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you have.

21. alfran

alfran Rookie

Mar 10, 2015
    I have in my garage a 360 Challenge Stradale, a 430 Scuderia, a 458 Speciale and a 488 GTB. I am therefore in position to judge and compare each car....
    I believe that each one has something special and it is worth keeping
    The 360 Stradale has the simplicity and purity of the lines, the sound of the 355 and excellent handling.
    The 430 Scuderia has more modern technology and looks more aggressive.
    The 458 Speciale has lots of raw power and handling, has great sound deriving from the 9000 rpm and good but not exceptional looks (the front is a little bit Japanese looking)
    The 488 has more gentle ride, the power which is enhanced in my case by the fact that I live at high elevation
    Bottom line each is exceptional for one reason or another and straight comparisons are difficult to make....

22. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    Let's see a photo please of that amazing garage. Congrats

23. Trincap

Trincap Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2010
    NorCal
    To the OP:
    No

24. Snewton94024

Snewton94024 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2015
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Steve Newton
    What a positive, refreshing commentary.
    I wish some of the negativity seen in the various FChats could have this post sprinkled every so often. Love what you have AND look forward to the next one.

25. 458italia2014

458italia2014 Formula 3

Aug 3, 2013
    Us as people on this forum have to realize that we are in the minority of people that will give a crap about the loss of engine noise from the 458 to 488 etc. I am sure most will not regret the decision. The 488 is more advanced than the 458. The only thing the 458 has on it is the engine noise, and maybe some slight throttle response. We can not even compare a speciale to the 488 because thats the 458's hardcore version. A good comparison will be when the 488 hardcore version is out.