Upgraded my Headlights to LED's | FerrariChat

Upgraded my Headlights to LED's

Discussion in '348/355' started by 308gtsqv, Dec 28, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 308gtsqv

308gtsqv Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2008
    Mass/Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #1 308gtsqv, Dec 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    So i've wanted to upgrade my headlights since I bought the car about a month ago. Having purchased in winter I find myself driving at night more often. So i've read up on HID kits and I've installed those before, but I kept hearing about LED bulbs becoming more and more popular. So I reached out to a friend who's a self proclaimed "headlight guru" and he recommended these:

OPT7 9006 LED Headlight Conversion Kit 60W CREE 5000K White Light Bulbs | eBay

Things I like:

1) Their a direct plug and play. No ballast to mount, just pop the bulb and in plug into the factory plug. (there is a small resistor but it doesn't have to be mounted anywhere, I just tucked in behind the headlight housing)

2) The light output is GREAT and the beam has great distance.

3) Price, at $99 its hardly a huge expense

4) Color of the light. I went with a 5000k bulb for color. Many HID kits are 6000k which are to blue for me. Most OEM's are 4300 so the 5000k are more on the OEM look.

Figure I would share the results:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Hammonds rider and Shurik355 like this.
  2. Redlyne_mr2

Redlyne_mr2 Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2009
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Ryan D
    I did the LEDs on my headlights as well, I'm with you I love the fact that the assemblies are small. Great mod and cheap.

3. madturk

madturk Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    Williston, ND
    Full Name:
    Seyhan Kilincci
    Me next.. I'm doing this same upgrade in my 964 and 928 this week. I was wondering about the 355. Thank you for sharing.

4. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    I like the hazy yellow headlights personally...but those look nice and crisp without being too blinding.

5. ferrari bud

ferrari bud Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Excellent post, thanks for the recommendation -- I was just looking into this upgrade as well.

Did you consider the foglight bulbs as well?

6. 308gtsqv

308gtsqv Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2008
    Mass/Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I was just looking at that! The fog's are H1 bulbs. I just found them on Amazon with prime shipping.

Though I think I'm going to hold off with those at the moment, as I kind of like the look of the yellow on the fogs and the white on the headlights. It really gives it an OEM look.

7. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Their application checker says its not for the 355 or 348. But you are obviously using it. Maybe their database can't reference older models.

8. Subarubrat

Subarubrat Formula 3

Apr 1, 2009
    VA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I think we are either at the replacement stage of LED or just a generation behind it. I love my HIDs but by the time one of them fails I bet LED will be the path.

9. 308gtsqv

308gtsqv Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2008
    Mass/Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yeah, I wouldn't rely on those databases. The bulb plugged right in. There was absolutely no modification required.

10. ferrari bud

ferrari bud Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Chris
    How's the light output compared to past HID kits?

My friend who've tried lots of various headlights (HID and LEDs) said LEDs generally don't perform as well, but not sure about this kit.

11. 308gtsqv

308gtsqv Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2008
    Mass/Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    Mike
    It was the same question I asked. The light output seems great, though I haven't tried an HID kit in the car to compare. I can tel you they're better than the stock bulbs.

The issue I have with HID bulbs is the housing. Even though the 355 has an projector beam, it wasn't designed for an HID bulb. This distorts the light output and can be blinding. Also many HID kits can flicker as ballast have power issues. You also have to firmly secure the ballast as you don't want that bouncing around.

These were just easy to install, fairly cheap, and better than stock.

12. judd10

judd10 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 30, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    wow! great find & post. I have HID low beams with OEM high beams. Thinking about upgrading the high beams to LED. Any comments as to if this is advisable or not given HID low beams, etc? Any suggestions for LED high beam bulbs?

13. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    I don't drive my car at night at all, but I want these lights for my car. :D

I also thought HID lights were a lot better, but they look to be pretty good in those pics.

Plus they are very easy to fit, no need to find somewhere to hide the ballast so it keeps cool.

Thanks for sharing man. :)

14. 308gtsqv

308gtsqv Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2008
    Mass/Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The high beams should be just a easy. High beams are 9005 bulbs from what I've read on here. Looks like the company I used only has them in a 6000k bulb. Being that its only the high, I don't think thats a big deal though.

OPT7 9005 LED Headlight Conversion Kit 60W CREE 6000K White Light Bulbs | eBay

Thanks Pap!

Again an HID may be brighter and may give off more range but, this is just easier of an install, and better than stock.

Also I have to wonder if this would be better for the electrical system than an HID kit?

15. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Awesome!

The stock headlights are about as good as a lit match. These LEDs are a great modification.

Thanks for sharing the info.

16. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Nice

LEDs seem to be coming a long way

17. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Thanks for posting! Question- the red thing (is that the resistor?) looks like it has cooling fins- does it get very hot? Is it a fire/melting surrounding wire hazard?

Great info- thanks!

18. 308gtsqv

308gtsqv Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2008
    Mass/Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #18 308gtsqv, Dec 29, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
    Yes the little red box is the resistor. The light does have cooling fins and it actually has a little fan built into it. You can hear it when you plug the bulb in. I had it on and held it for a bit. Didn't get all that hot. I'm not all that concerned about melting anything as there is plenty of room behind the housing and nothing is touching it. Also an HID bulb gets MUCH hotter.

19. Redlyne_mr2

Redlyne_mr2 Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2009
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Ryan D
    If you find an led bulb that fits in out fog housing let me know. I've purchased 2 h1 led kits already and neither of them fit, the factory fog housing is too shallow.

20. mshobe

mshobe Karting

Mar 28, 2015
    Seattle-ish
    These look really crisp. I'm tempted – but maybe I'm in the minority here who's pleasantly surprised at the performance of the OEM halogens (especially the high beams). Don't do much night driving, but it's practically night conditions 24/7 here this time of year anyway.

Then again, my most recent similar-vintage point of reference is my old '89 964, which, to use Ernie's description, illuminated the road in front of you about as well as a lit match.

21. ssnowball

ssnowball Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2013
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Scot
    I like the upgrade, nice work. You mentioned that the resistor sits behind the headlight, do you have a photo that shows how it "floats" behind the headlight casing? Is there enough room to prevent it from hindering the open and close mechanism as the lights are switched on and off?

I will probably pick up a set as I prefer the simple approach rather than a full HD upgrade kit.

22. Markphd

Markphd Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    Got to admit, I was considering HID's, but I like LED's from the looks of it better.

23. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Cheers mate and I think these LED's are probably easier on the electrical system which can only be a good thing for 20+ year old Italian electrics. :p

24. Subarubrat

Subarubrat Formula 3

Apr 1, 2009
    VA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I just want to wait one generation (6 months, a year maybe?) and there will be LED headlights twice as bright, half the cost, and no fan to fail. I love where LED technology is headed and how fast.

25. 308gtsqv

308gtsqv Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2008
    Mass/Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Scott I agree, but again these weren't really a lot of money. So if it really does advance that much next year, I'll be happy to upgrade these again.