2015 Vanquish or 2014 FF | FerrariChat

2015 Vanquish or 2014 FF

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Georgemaser, Dec 27, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Georgemaser

Georgemaser Karting

Aug 7, 2014
    Michigan
    I was set to get a pre-owned FF but I drove a 2015 Vanquish coupe and was quite impressed. The exhaust note was intoxicating, the drive was engaging, and looks are beautiful. There are some new 2015 Vanquish's out there that I can get for the same price as a pre-owned FF. Now I am not sure what to do? Has anyone driven a 2015 Vanquish and if so , any thoughts? Thank you for any input.

2. Liquid Assets

Liquid Assets Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2009
    Cloud 9
    I have driven both. It all comes down to what will you be using this car for? If it's a summer car than get the Vanquish without hesitation. If you live in a city where you get winter and you want to drive the car around all year, get the FF.

3. mr_tony

mr_tony Karting

Jan 5, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I've tested the vanquish extensively. It's a fine car, but for me Aston still remains around 5 years behind Ferrari in terms if engineering:

If you want looks then the vanquish. If you want the drive or the capability of the car then it's the FF. If you only need 2 seats then just buy an F12...

4. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    I'd say the gearbox on the Aston is not even close to the gearbox on the FF....

5. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    So very true and thats just the start of it. AM is a glorious British underfunded historical company that has turned out beautiful, but unreliable, cars on a very limited budget. With the Aston you get the aesthetics, whilst the FF offers everything else and is light years ahead technologically and amazingly, reliability. Ferrari is certainly not underfunded.

6. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Very succinct and true summary.

For me the two aren't even comparable. Admittedly the Vanquish is a stunning car but the FF is just so much better in every area, the old 6 speed Vanquish to me felt slower than a Maserati Granturismo 4.7, in part due to the very long gear ratios.

FF would be much choice.

7. FFantastic

FFantastic Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    UK Riviera
    The Aston lets you know there is a big lump up front and drives very old school in my opinion. Nice looking but 10 years since the basic shape came out and if I were putting a garage together one would definitely be in it but to compare it to the FF is unfair. The FF is sublime in all it does.

8. Ferro458

Ferro458 Karting

May 26, 2014
    I think Aston waited about 5 years too long to do the deal with Mercedes and acquire basic technology. The wiring harnesses are circa 2003 Volvo I think. They were at least 3 years behind others in getting the 8 speed ZF transmission which just showed up this year.

Beautiful cars though. I had a stick (manual) 2009 Vantage V8 and it was a blast too. It was a manly car, you could really drive the heck out of it.

9. mr_tony

mr_tony Karting

Jan 5, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I spent a day at Milbrook with Aston earlier this year and drove the whole range on road, track and on the alpine loop. The best car in the current range is without doubt the manual n430 - proper fun drivers car. The V12 GT3 is also great to drive, but for a road car I'd take the N430 and chunk of change.

As said, the FF really isn't a competitor here its just so much better than the vanquish at everything except looking pretty. The gearbox is just an auto - changes take ages in comparison, and it's significantly down on power and speed - and it's certainly no more comfortable. If you seriously want a 2 seat GT then I'd go F12, or buy a 575 maranello manual and watch it rise in value...

10. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    AM for garage queen. FF for driving.

11. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Aston is a mid quality lump of old tech and ugly interior IMO.

12. JGTCNSX

JGTCNSX Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    #12 JGTCNSX, Dec 29, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
    Been on the market for an FF for some time, never found the right combo. About 10 months ago I drove a new Vanquish and was In love with everything but the gear box! Then I drove a dealer demo 13 V12 vantage with a six speed. That car went home with me... 6 months later my dealer got a new V12 Vantage S with the "SMG" or what ever they call it transmission. Let me tell you it's truly an awesome car! It's fast, it howls when you push the throttle, it looks amazing. I still keep my eyes open for that perfect FF but until that day comes my V12 Vantage S will stay in my garage... Just an FYI 2016.5 may have the revised transmission in the Vanquish. Might be worth the wait if you like the Aston. And for what it's worth I drive the Aston semi daily as I did with the 13, only issue between the two was a blown safety relay that controls rpm in the event of a hydraulic pump failure on the transmission, that was on the 15, a five minute fix....

13. JGTCNSX

JGTCNSX Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    #13 JGTCNSX, Dec 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
  15. 996TTurbo

996TTurbo Formula 3

Apr 9, 2006
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Martin
    LOVE IT!!! im a grey car guy too ;)

and FF over aston for me

16. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Gray is great :) and medio is a rare beauty.

17. JG0922

JG0922 Rookie

Dec 15, 2015
    The color on the vantage s, is beautiful...

18. JG0922

JG0922 Rookie

Dec 15, 2015
    I would buy the vanquish for a summer car, great looks, v12, deadly exhaust note. As mentioned before by others, if you're looking for something that you can get a lot out of in every season go for the FF. With the FF your really can't go wrong, v12, loud exhaust, 600hp+, very spacious.

19. Lusso250gt

Lusso250gt Rookie
    BANNED

Aug 17, 2013
    United Kingdom
    On a Ferrari forum most people will prefer the FF. But, as others have said, if you have one special/summer car, get the Vanquish. Looks a million times better and has that growly exhaust note (and of course the 2015 has a new 8 speed ZF). I've driven one also, and I can tell you, you won't be disappointed.

20. LV Eric

LV Eric Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2006
    LA & LV
    Full Name:
    eric

He needs both, just like we would do!!!

Say man, everything is a go for Europe this summer, :D that's certain. My schedule will be wide open except 8-10 days I'm in Monaco.

When it's gets closer I'll find ya and anyone else we know and make a plan. I'm flexible, just damn lucky to have my health back to do this. Mite bring 2 cars, mulsaine & f12. Not sure.

Sorry to get off track

I've driven lots of Vanquish not a 15, brilliant car in most ways, learned here in snow FF is the plan. Tuff call. Either way you'll have a great car, or buy both. :)

Best

Eric

21. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    #21 absent, Jan 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
    Most of you judge the Vanquish based on your experience with the '14 model.
    '15 has the new 8 speed tranny that transforms the car into a totally new thing, leaving only the looks the only thing in common with the previous year.
    '15 will match FF in performance and became a true supercar.
    I would still take the FF though......

22. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    The FF's interiors are much better than the V's

23. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Good to know. And there you go :)

FF is fast, but not a performance car IMO, it's an experience.

24. Liquid Assets

Liquid Assets Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2009
    Cloud 9
    Looking forward to it buddy! Il have most of my cars in South of France including the Veyron and I'm taking delivery of the 488 spider, sv roadster and 675LT spider this summer so we will have plenty of toys. Looking forward to it! I will have a lot of friends visiting from UK, Russia and Middle East so it will be a crazy summer!

Regarding the topic, everyone has their own opinion. And like some mentioned this is a Ferrari forum so the bias level will be high towards the FF. Drive both and decide! I disagree on how some people give the FF almost every category but we all have different taste. The vanquish is a phenomenal car and I personally think the interior is much better than my FF. Let alone the looks destroy the FF's and in my opinion so does the drive of the car, especially with the new transmission. The only way I would pick the FF over the Vanquish is if I was going to drive this car in the winter.

25. LV Eric

LV Eric Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2006
    LA & LV
    Full Name:
    eric
    I'm there, thinking of bringing 2 cars now. Going to round up my car friends in Europe as well, will be good fun!

It's not possible to get a unbiased opinion on a message board about a car. Unless it's a general board and I'm not sure where that's at.