talk me out of selling...or in to it. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

talk me out of selling...or in to it.

Discussion in '308/328' started by stevel48, Dec 28, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jezter70

Jezter70 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2013
    Surry (from UK)
    Full Name:
    Jez
    Perhaps Newman, its just the Canadian market thats taken a breather .... can't really comment on that, but over here in Europe and UK its still going strong .... If its examples you want, well i have just sold my Dino GTS for the full asking price and my 512TR for very close to the same..... and they were on the market exactly 4 weeks!
    Of course the music will stop at some stage....we all know it always does, until the next round.

I think the early 308's are next in line for a really big step up ,to fill the huge void in price now left by the Dino 246. Can a Dino 246 really be worth 4 or 5 times a good 308GTB??
    My guess is that we will be paying $250-$300k for vetro's and $150-180k for the best early steel GTB's, and considering that totally normal, over the next 24 months (baring some financial disaster, obviously).

Therefore if i was the OP's investment manager, i would most certainly advise him to hold his current cards. However, i stand by my initial post, that the 360 is a fine car that still has sufficient 'old school Ferrari feel' about it (in manual form at least) and can be enjoyed in a very different way to the 308 .....

BR,
    Jez

2. Jezter70

Jezter70 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2013
    Surry (from UK)
    Full Name:
    Jez
    Nice photo, Ward. You have to admit though, that the 360 Spider is a lot of Ferrari experience for the current money.
    Having made a similar Ferrari journey to yourself, (only starting with a 360 Spider) .... i am more or less at peace with myself now, with a combination of Carb 308's and an early 355 Berlinetta ..... feels like the right balance to me!!
    BR,
    Jez

3. Dbacr

Dbacr Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 1, 2015
    Ft lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I thought about selling my 308 QV GTB after I bought a 328 GTS. I just can't let it go. I wouldn't mind a 360, but I'm out of space and can't let either 3 go. To me, the 308 has more of the over all vintage feel.

4. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Drive a few 360's first..really drive them. Both f1 and 6 speed. Overnight if possible.

The 360 is a great car, fast and fun. But..it does not have the solid feel of the 308/328 cars. Not by a mile. The 308 is a slug and so is the 328. But they have a serious charm to them that just can't be explained until you don't have it anymore.

I love the sounds the 308's/328 make. So mechanical, that sort of gear/whining noise they make when shoving off in first gear is so good. The deep idle that kinda drones in your ears, never mind how time less the design is.

The newer stuff just IMHO doesn't have that feel to them. I'm rambling..

5. stevel48

stevel48 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2005
    Metrowest MA
    Full Name:
    Steve (85 308 Owner)
    I'm leaning more towards keeping it now but will definitely drive some 360s in the spring. It also looks like I'll restore the 308 including the paint.

6. yank05

yank05 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    New England
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    ...just curious....why do u want to restore it? It looks like its in great original condition - it's original only once... ; ) - originality is part of the charm - anything can be made new again....

Anthony

7. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Actually I can name several. I have a few dealer friends that focus on these cars (3X8s) and are selling strong cars relatively quickly. Many of the lesser cars are simply overpriced.

8. stevel48

stevel48 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2005
    Metrowest MA
    Full Name:
    Steve (85 308 Owner)
    #33 stevel48, Dec 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

sure. it came to me as all original but showing wear after 25 years. So I restored the original colony interior. The engine bay looked new including all of the nice cad plating. Back in 86 when new the first owner hit some debris in the road and scuffed the front right quarter. The panel was then repainted and i'm not happy with the work. You can notice the color change from the quarter panel to the door. It has its chips after 30 ears so i figure why not bring it back to perfect.

Can you spot the color change below?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I take my 328 to FOG drives with the guys. I don't have any problem keeping up in the twisties, but they do pull away with a bit of a straight. I love the sound and the smell of the engine just right after a spirited drive. There is such charm and beauty in those flowing lines.

I have not felt the same with any of the 360 except for the CS and that is now in the stratosphere. Don't get rid of the 308, you will miss it.

10. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I never really understand these threads. Do you really need other's advice? The 360 is a great car. I'm sure you will enjoy it. The 308 is a great car. I know you have enjoyed it. Just do what you think is best for you. Life is too short to look over your shoulder and think about what you could have or should have done, or moving forward, listening to what other people think is right for you. Blaze your own trails. You only you know what is right for you. :)

11. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    The only 360 I'd sell for would be a Stradale. The normal 360, while still a great car, is every where. They made so many of them they are an everyday sight.

12. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    my suggestion...keep the 308 for the reasons we all know...vintage feel, etc, etc....and get an E46 M3 if what you want is an affordable (less than 1/2 of a 360) glued to the tarmac , very fast modern sport car. my $0.2 cheers

13. stevel48

stevel48 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2005
    Metrowest MA
    Full Name:
    Steve (85 308 Owner)
    there will be a Maserati GT in the near future so maybe that will scratch the itch.

14. 19055

19055 Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2014
    Netherlands, Europe
    Full Name:
    Emile
    My 2 cents: don't ever compare 308/355/360/430 or any other type. It doesn't work that way, I think. Horsepower is addictive. The difference in power/handling between a 308 and a 360 is huge. As is the difference between a 360 and a 430. Should you own a 360 in the near future and would try a 430 one day the whole story starts all over again. Let alone the addicting torque of the V12's, should you one day have a taste of them... It never ends.

Look at a certain model for what it means, what it stands for. My #19055 is iconic, rare, a '70's thoroughblood. And has an awkward driving position and is not really fast, as is yours. 430/458's (360 a bit less) are modern looking & handling powerhouses. I find the modern high-revving V8's entoxicating.. I however understand (I think) your thoughts: I look at my car with admiration, love, big smile's and every year I drive it less. I would sell my car of someone was willing to pay really top dollar for it, get me a 430 spider (stick, of course), knowing that after a few months I think/feel/breathe "599" and would track the sh*t out of them both. For horsepower addicted, amateur racers like me it never ends..

But as stated above: follow your heart ! "Regret" is such a useless feeling/emotion..Do what you want/can and don't look back.

And the last place that I would expect to get some "useful" advice is here on Fchat.. ;-)

The overall solution is buy whatever Ferrari you want, without selling one. I, unless I sell the Vetro, can only afford one. So no "overall" solution for me..

15. JohnnyTS

JohnnyTS Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2012
    Pretoria East, RSA
    Full Name:
    John
    If you feel you had your time with the 308 (mabe became somewhat 'boring ' ) pull the trigger and go for it, 360's are awesome, I drove one 3 weeks ago, a manual shift and a Spider, loved it !

cheers
    Johnny

16. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Good idea....

Yes

Yes

Yes

The 308s will be worth more, but with maintenance the "net" will be almost zero, IMO.
    Eventually they will cost a fortune and there's not many folks left to fix them.

17. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    #42 dflett, Dec 30, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2015

Exactly what I did when it came to buy another car. I wanted another fcar but did not want to sell the 308 to get it. I was looking at 348s and 360s. However, buying another two seat car was not going to an be easy sell to the family and a maintaining a 456 scared me a bit. so went for a low miles, immaculate e46 M3 as a family friendly alternative that was not too computerized. I like it. However the performance of the e46 is not comparable with 360 imo. For 360 performance, it would have to be an e90 or later.

I would not sell the 308 if I were you. Buying both and then selling one or other after 12 months seems like good advice.

David

18. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I agree, although the 308 offers a driving experience I miss. The money involved with these cars still isn't anywhere near the vintage market -- easy enough to keep one without justifying it every day.

360s are fine, but when you get to the modern cars I think I'd go for a 458 (or at least step up to an F430 for the timing chain and better performance.)

And this. Although 308s still seem to be selling here -- if the asking prices are realistic. Lower mileage 308s are in demand.

+308

Nothing like them being made anymore. I like the simple targa top -- compared to modern open top cars that are overly complicated.

19. Blackandbluedino

Apr 16, 2013
    Newport News VA
    Full Name:
    Thomas Gonnella
    I have a Dino gt4 at a Cars and Coffee some months ago I got the chance to drive a 360 while the owner of the 360 and his buddy took my Dino for a ride. I took Rich - an Alfa Club friend - with me and when I got back my comment to him was it drove great but my 82 year old mother could take it to the grocery store. It was incredibly fast but it really wasn't "special" to drive. On the other hand, both the 360 owner and his buddy were laughing like fools after driving the Dino and both commented on how involved the driver was and how intimate the Dino was compared to his 360. Modern cars are fabulous but lack a certain driver involvement.

20. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I was in the same boat 7 years ago and went from a 308 to a 360. Honestly I love the 360 and would not go back. As others have said drive a 360 and see how you like it.

21. yank05

yank05 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    New England
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    I see....thanks for clarifying....I understand your feelings - whatever makes you happy is what you should do!

Anthony

22. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Whats realistic? I just looked on ebay and theres no shortage of 308's and I couldn't believe the number of 328s for sale!

Lower mileage anything I think is in demand.

Whats funny is the number of years I watched the owners on this site devalue their own cars almost daily! Im sure you recall that too and how many were never fixed right because of depressed values. Tough to find a great correct example today and thats the car that will get the money.

23. Scuderia Verde

Scuderia Verde Karting

Apr 27, 2015
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Rob
    IMO it's really a matter of the experience you're wanting. The 308 is a piece of history, a chance to revel in an icon. With that comes the limits of what was available at that point in history. But, that's part of the charm.

A 360 or any of the more modern Fcars are enchanting in their own ways, but for different reasons.

Which car really moves your soul? That's the real question to answer. Just my $0.02. :)

24. Tricycle

Tricycle Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2004
    LA Cnty 4,083sqmiles
    17 308's on eBay

19 328's on eBay

Not a huge difference unless you compare the ratio of 308's produced compared to the 328

25. greg 19425

greg 19425 Formula 3

Jan 6, 2011
    Wake Forest, NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    ................and.........58.....360's on eBay this morning. That is spelled out fifty-eight. :)