Spending NY in Charleston SC | FerrariChat

Spending NY in Charleston SC

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by Tomf-1, Dec 28, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Taking the family for a three days weekend stay in Charleston SC. We are staying at the Hyatt right in the historic downtown. This is our 1st time in Charleston and everyone is looking forward to the trip. Any advice for must see or do from our local fchatter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    There are two major streets for restaurants...Bay Street and King Street. Stroll down each one to find a restaurant that appeals to your tastes and budget. On Bay St you can't go wrong with Magnolia, High Cotton or Cypress. My favorite on King St is The Ordinary.
    Also try Hominy Grill and Husk. Bottom line: Charleston is one of the best cities for dining in the country...get out there and explore!

3. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    One other suggestion...if you like a well-crafted cocktail go to the bar on the ground floor of the Market Pavillion Hotel on Bay St. They chill their martinis and other cocktails with liquid nitrogen!

4. OUMick

OUMick Formula 3

Apr 26, 2014
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Head to Cars and Coffee on Saturday morning in Mt. Pleasant. Grimaldi's Brick Oven Pizza is a good quick place to grab a bite afterwards.

5. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
  6. OUMick

OUMick Formula 3

Apr 26, 2014
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hey Dave how you doin?

7. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Awesome. Thanks so much for all the insights, gents

8. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    That sounds like fun. I might do that to meet up w some Fchatters.

9. SCFerrari

SCFerrari F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 30, 2013
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I think the best restaurant is Peninsula Grill- call ASAP for reservation if you want a chance to eat there during your trip - and hopefully the weather will hold out so you can take some tours of the historic areas- kind of touristy but fun to do if you haven't before - shopping on king street is unique too, with all the galleries and antiques and specialty clothes shops.. Have fun!

10. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Thanks, Rob. Our 1st time to Charleston so we are looking forward to it.

11. Deiger

Deiger Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2011
    The wife and I will also be celebrating New Years in Charleston. Going to a sports bar (or somewhere with TVs) to watch the Alabama game (partially) then off to the Edwin McCain concert at the Charleston Music Hall. After that, who knows.......

The weather does not look too positive right know. I am sure a good martini will solve that real quick.

Deiger

12. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

try husk for dinner one night. pretty good spot.

13. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    Husk is very good but I enjoyed FIG better

14. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    FIG is the best restaurant IMHO. Do brunch at the Macintosh.

Drinks at Cocktail club. Have Joe make you "something interesting".

If any of you guys want to catch up when in town I'm game!

15. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Curt,

Noted. Would love to take you up on your generous offer but would kindly ask for a rain check. We are driving from FL. Our time in town will be short (with a 10 yrs old). Needs to get back home Sunday (have board meeting Monday)

16. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    If it's the Hyatt in the 500 block of King Street, you're at the geographical top of a typical tourist path through the historical part of the city.

Leave your car parked.

Head south on King. Stop any place interesting.

Turn left on Market Street (about a mile down.) Explore.

You might also find interesting stuff at time on Meeting Street (parallel to King to the west/left.)

More than enough for a brief stay, especially with a child. Enjoy!

17. Shootfighter65

Shootfighter65 Formula 3

May 13, 2014
    Charleston SC
    Full Name:
    Randy..alluneedtokno
    Lunch at one of the rooftop bars. Weather permitting

18. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Hi Jeff. Yes, it's the Hyatt on 560 King.
    Thanks for the tips. We plan to park for the duration (heard parking is a rare commodity)

19. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    #19 Tomf-1, Dec 31, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  20. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
  21. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Thanks, Curt. Will look it up. In general, we are a health/fitness fanatic family (not much into fried foods) but when travel, we often seek to explore n embrace different cultures which often include culinary. We will definitely head over to FIG one night.

22. Rohry

Rohry Karting

Jun 5, 2015
    Charleston, SC
    While this is not a dangerous part of Charleston, it is not a nice part of Charleston. It's in an industrial area which is going through an investment boom but most of the area is still pretty run down. The food is supposed to be good but I have never eaten there as I am not a fried food aficionado. I would recommend going there for lunch, not dinner...hope you have a great time while you are here!

23. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Thomas, We just came back. Peninsula Grill is a must if you're into very fine cuisine. Fort Sumter was great. McLeod Plantation was very good. Carriage ride is always fun. St Michael church and St Phillip church is good. The Slave Mart was very interesting. We had a great time.

24. Rohry

Rohry Karting

Jun 5, 2015
    Charleston, SC
    It will be raining today, here's what I would do (I've lived here for 15 years but am from New Hampshire). Start off at the soul-food restaurant for early lunch (noon at the latest), do the Fort Sumter tour (less than an hour to see everything at the Fort itself, nice tour of the harbor), then dine at Husk, Peninsula, or my favorite, Hank's Seafood (Bouillabaisse is the best). If you reserve now there is a table open for three at 9:15.
    On rainy days there's Patriot's Point Museum (Yorktown aircraft carrier and other ships) or Charleston Museum ("America's First"). Expect to spend up to 3 hours at either place. Then late lunch/early dinner at one of the Shem Creek restaurants, just for the view. JB's has decent food.
    If it clears, see Boone Hall Plantation, it's still a working farm, great exhibits, and they give a motorized guided tour of the farm (the house is relatively modern, however).

25. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Thanks to everyone for all the great inputs. We just returned home and had a great trip. Weather could be better but it wasn't that bad. We left FL at 4am on NY day and arrived at 10am....right smack in the middle of a parade with most of downtown blocked off so we could get to our hotel until noon. We took the opportunity to head over to Martha Lou's Kitchen (wife wasn't quite sure about the surroundings but the fried chicken was excellent). The family took the hour long carriage ride and learned fascinating history about downtown historic district. We did the walked tour around the Water Front Park; went to the City Market; wife did some shoppings on King St; We dined at Hall (it'd have been better if we didn't have kid w us), Basil (awesome Thai), Indaco (few feet from our hotel...great Italian), Justines and did a tour at Charleston Distilery. Will definitely come back. Thanks again to each of you for taking time to help make our trip a good one.