458 TPMS retro fit? is it possible? | FerrariChat

458 TPMS retro fit? is it possible?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Smiley, Jan 4, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Smiley

Smiley Rookie

Dec 1, 2015
    Hi

I'm going to be back in Ferrari ownership after 5 years drought with a 458 Spider that I'll be picking up in a week hopefully.

It's a 2014 spider and its got pretty much everything I want but a nice to have would of been the Tyre Pressure Measuring System.

My question is: Does anyone know if this can be retro fitted? I've done as much digging as I can and it would appear that its potentially possible, It's simple enough to buy the sensors that are required to go in the wheels, Whats less clear is can the existing software be updated to enable the TPMS function to work simply by plugging in a computer and downloading the relevant software ( No doubt main dealer only if its possible) or if an additional ECU is needed.

As the TPMS options isn't crazy money when ordering a cars build I'm thinking there may be some chance for me to get this option added.

Any comments greatly received

I'm in the UK

Thanks

Miles

2. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    #2 MalibuGuy, Jan 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
    I think that the car would also need to have the receiver(s) and wiring in order to monitor the wheels. (The wheels transmit to something)

I think it's a very good system to have. I had a slow leak and a fast one. The system alerted me and prevented an accident from potentially occurring not to mention preventing expensive rim damage too.

I think you might get an answer if you ask your service center.

3. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    +1

btw just had my TPMS sensors replaced with new generation ones :)

4. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    What is the improvement with the new sensors?
    Did they have to upgrade any software or other hardware?

5. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    TPMS is not standard on 458's ?

6. 458dreamer

458dreamer Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2012
    Dubai
    TPMS has been standard on all US cars for a few years now due to US regulations. But in ROW TPMS was not standard on 458s. I paid for the option.

7. Hamishmoon

Hamishmoon Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2014
    Blairgowrie,Scotland
    Full Name:
    Hamish
    Miles
    Speak to Chris at Scuderia Systems UK , they will know the answer immediately if you can retrofit, due to the amount of wheels he supplies, that's if you didn't buy from a Ferrari dealer :):)

8. Hamishmoon

Hamishmoon Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2014
    Blairgowrie,Scotland
    Full Name:
    Hamish
    yes I paid for the option too and I'm a very tight Scotsman :):) and I mean tight :)

9. Smiley

Smiley Rookie

Dec 1, 2015
    Thanks Folks

In the UK it was an option

I'll give Chris at Scuderia Systems a buzz,

I did buy from a Ferrari Dealer so I'll also ask them also, Probably should of asked them first but I know how sometimes the main dealers say something can't be done but it actually can!

Thanks

Miles

10. ohared

ohared Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 14, 2009
    Miles,

I have 2011 458 that did not come with TMPS. I was quoted £1100 + VAT by Ferrari dealer to retrofit. However, they needed to check with Ferrari if it was available for my chassis number. It turned out that I could not retrofit. I did not ask why not, I presume the loom did not carry the necessary wiring.

You could be in better shape with a later car.

11. Butty458

Butty458 Rookie

Apr 2, 2014
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I forgot to tick the box for that when I ordered my 458 SPIDER in 2013 and asked regarding a retrofit. It could be done but from memory it was in excess of £2000. Not really missed it I have to say.

12. Smiley

Smiley Rookie

Dec 1, 2015
    I'm making some progress with this!

I'm told I can retro fit, (the wheel sensors are Beru HUF RDE011 i believe, I can get these relatively easy)Does anyone know where the TPMS receiver is fitted in the car? I just want to double check i do indeed have it.

Anyone who has this as a factory option does it do Temperatures as well? Ferrari Main dealer said if I fitted it to mine it wouldn't but then i provided a copy of a ferrari document that showed it doing pressure and temps to which they said. maybe it does do temps but they really didn't know!

Thanks

Miles

13. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    In the US, the systems gives you temperature as well.
    It will use tire temp to give you the status of the car if you are on the track. Warm up vs ready to race.

14. ohared

ohared Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 14, 2009
  15. 458SG

458SG Rookie

Oct 17, 2021
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Vipula
    Hi, wondering if anyone made progress retro-fitting?
    I've checked my 2010 RHD model and it has the wiring loom neatly tucked away behind the pedals panel but no TPMS ECU. I'm assuming the same is the case for the 4 receivers in each wheel well and the central antenna.
    All the parts are available for order from Eurospares and I'd be interested in giving it a go if anyone has had any luck.

16. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I can't seem to figure out why we're still using early 2000s wheel-sensor technology still, when numerous manufacturers have been using ABS sensors and individual wheel speed for TPMS with exponentially fewer issues as a result (no in-wheel sensors to fail, no expensive replacement, etc) since at least 2010...

Am I way off here or something?

17. Tito1969

Tito1969 Karting

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Tito Kabir
    I had this fitted by the UK dealer on purchase of my 2014 spider. £1200 quoted. They contributed £600 as part of the deal. It does show temp. They said part of the cost was reprogramming the computer. For me it was a must have.