Maserati Indy thread | FerrariChat

Maserati Indy thread

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by ignominus, Dec 24, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ignominus

ignominus Karting

Sep 6, 2013
    I don't think an Indy thread exists, so I am creating one.

As an Indy owner, I was wondering what the Indy market could look like in the future. The Indy has been overlooked at by classic car collectors. Do you think this will continue to be the case, or do you think this is sleeper that is just waiting for its time to come?

2. bob86846

bob86846 Rookie

Sep 28, 2009
    Woodstock Ontario CA
    Full Name:
    Bob McLeod
    #2 bob86846, Dec 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    HI Ignominus: 'good to have a dedicated Indy thread. I am a relatively new owner of AM116-1290. 1290 was last licenced in CA, in 1994 however it was complete and not molested. re value: on other cars, I have found that if they are good looking, fun to drive and fun to work on, then they usually appreciate in value. I am sure this will be the case with the INDY. I am interested in comparing notes with other owners on some of my outstanding hardware issues... Vitaloni stalk, Carello tail lights, exhaust system. I have installed new XWX Michelins,a custom aluminum rad and freshened the fuel, lube, electrical and cooling systems. I do powder coating and some plating in my shop so wheels, cam covers, & brackets are looking good.
    best regards / Bob
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

indyvignale likes this.
  3. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    A good Indy, mechanically and cosmetically, is a delight, my first ever Maserati ride was in one near Bad Godesberg Germany with my dad, I was 11 years old, sitting in the back and asked him to go to the autobahn and that run was the one which sealed my passion. Indy's are still undervalued but just one good car in a major auction could change this any day.

The problem is finding a good one as so many have been worn down to the ground and a tired interior is a big turn off as there are acres of leather which is very visible from outside due to the large glass surfaces...but it is well worth seeking a good one. The handling is not the most agile but still fun however its main asset is room for four with luggage in a beautiful Grand Touring body shape.

Best regards,

Marc

4. Marangen

Marangen Karting

Feb 25, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Martin M
    Great idea! Indy owners let's unite... Maybe there are so few of us out here that there just isn't enough good driveable cars and updated experiences around?

That car looks awesone. And here is mine (if I succeed in attaching it). Dark blue with Senape interior. An interior that btw is in tryly excellent condition. Would be dull/strange/undefinable colour of original carpets (beige/grey w some purple in it?) that I think does not match leather well. And floor carpets missing so some dull 80s floormatmaterial carpets instead. But besides that the cars interior is marvellous. And early dash as well creating very good looking cabin I must say. Along with fabulous gauges and woodrn F.I.V. steering wheel and matching gear shifter knob. Not to mention build quality of this car. Quality of interior feels impressive to say the least. Very solid and matches the feel and even beats it when compared to most other supercars of the era. Ghibli and Sebring also cool interiors but not as updated or iconic GT-ish as the early dash Indy I think.

As for exterior, well our Indys that are in good complete original to very good/min condition are indeed stunning cars. Not many aspects rated below 7 out of 10. Proportions and measurements and overall useability of this model. Back glass hatch is cool and was revolutionary at time of launch and will be considererd ultra modernistic in not too long. By the time anyone hears magnificent sound of this hatch close you will be hooked. Dwarfs most other closing sounds of any other car from any period! Not to mention useability of rear compartment. Weekend driver with great luggage space. A pleasure to pack and unpack with style and grace.

Then ultra sleek an low body lines by Vignale (Michelotti?) gives owner feel of having a supercar of the period. Indeed superfast it was. Faster than Ghibly due to gear ratio AND better aerodynamics. Fastest 4 seater at the time I think.

Front with hidden headlights might be a divider wrt aesthetics, and I am startkng to think car looks better with lights up! Alu hood with black intakes and engine compartment is undeniably wonderful and cannot hide a true GT gem that Indy represents. Development and manufacturing budgets for the Indy must have been among the highest ever for Maserati. If not highest. And car was most expensive 4 seater/coupe I have read somewhere. Then came oil shock in early 70's. Partially explains the models demise. And also models constantly being underappreciated ever since? Badly times launches seem to affect valuation and appreciation
    of any model for long time to come. Probably that time has come to an end by now...

5. Marangen

Marangen Karting

Feb 25, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Martin M
    In cottage far away from home so unsure of my connection thus partial upload...

As for driving experience of Indy: these 50-70's classic GT cars are indeed all quite old by now and some drive better than others. Here the Indy is probably also rating a 7 or more? 295 bhp is good and impressive but maybe not totally explosive by modern standards. Heavy car as well. But sound for sure is a 8 if not 9 or rather a 10 depending on preferences!! But Maseratis V8 of that time (4.2or 4.7 or 4.9L) must be considered a classic masterpiece with addictive sound and just soars and carries a thrilling register of sound up to 6000ish rpm. Mine has a pitching sound between 2800-3000rpm that is as close to a F1 sound that I have ever heard. Continues after that but then speed blows it away so less audible?!! Ansa exhaust mounted in early 80's still on my car. Will never change...

Driving experience is also period experience but upgraded discs and Servo specs on my Indy makes it very nice to drive and use. So are probably most other good Indys out there. Would be veeery interesting to hearanyone compare the Indy vg Ghibly here! Driving experience and general aspects. Owning experience and engineering comparisons. Etc.

6. ignominus

ignominus Karting

Sep 6, 2013
    I 100% subscribe to all what was written above: great design + master-piece engine. To me, the 2+2 configuration is perfect. Because as many car collectors, I have many several two-seaters but I wanted to bring the wife and kid. Actually, it is interesting that many 2+2 buyers are people that very often already have 2 seaters.

Not sure how many Indy survive, but certainly no many. And even less nice one. The ones I saw at auctions are not great I must say, and it is indeed true that the large glasses betray badly cared interiors. My one (VIN 116/49.2050) was delivered new in France and always stayed here. It was unluckily resprayed in black at some point in the past. But it is currently subject to a bare-metal respray in its original Marrone Colorado color (exactly like Bob’s one), using the same technique than at the time - which is paint with solvents. It is an investment but I think the car deserves it. Fortunately, the Senape leather in very excellent condition, although it needs some cleaning.

In France, very luckily someone has the full Thepenier archive (at the time exclusive Maserati reseller for France) and provide information on the history of our vehicles (THEPENIER - MASERATI - REGISTER) - you can find a few pics (before respray) of mine. This way, I could reconstitute the full history of my car and get copies of the archive since new. My model has the powerful Citroen hydraulic brakes, and I must say this is great. They require good care as all Citroen hydraulic systems, but they are a joy to use, although at first you have to get used to it.

As for the engine sound: I also must say it is unique (I have the 4900 - but tries the 4700 that I found equally great). However, I have an aftermarket exhaust that makes a huge whistle over 3000 rpm. I will probably get another one. Do you know if ANSA still makes them btw?

7. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    I owned 7 Indy's. One of every model They are great comfort cruisers at 90-100 miles per hour.

8. Marangen

Marangen Karting

Feb 25, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Martin M
    #8 Marangen, Dec 26, 2015
  9. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    cool pic :)

10. pnorell

pnorell Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 24, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I too have just acquired an Indy - '71 which was confirmed (by the Maserati Classiche Dept in Mondena) to be one of the only 39 US versions equipped with the 5 speed gearbox (type ZF S5.325) out of a total of 299 Maserati Indy 4,900cc, 85 were sent to USA. Can't wait for it to get cleaned up and show it off. I agree they are undervalued and overlooked - but that won't last for long.

11. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    Looking at a 71, 4900, manual, 2+2. Red with white interior. Repainted in 92 and still looks new. In Toronto. Has 44,000 on it. It has been stored since repaint with very limited use....I have see it over the years in storage. He wants $28.5 Canadian for it. What do u think of
    The price? I had a mechanic look it over and she advised clean other than passenger door need to open from inside and it should b a minor fix of a link.

12. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    Meant to say he not she...not that anything wrong with that.

13. JulianMerak

JulianMerak Formula 3

That's so cheap its amazing. I would be confident of this car fetching around at least $60K here [ same currency ]

14. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    is the car a 3 vent hood?

15. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    I am meeting with the owner next week to have drinks and discuss the purchase. will check at that time how many vents. did not really pay attention to this detail previously.
    for my education.....what are the combinations of vents and does one demonstrate a rarity over the other(s)?

16. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    Hi URAS. As Julian says, the car sounds rather a bargain. I was under the impression that all Indys gained the extra vent when they had a 4.9 engine rather than 4.7 or 4.2, which had only 2 symmetrical ones. We are talking Maserati here, so I would not be remotely surprised to find one or two exceptions however.

I have a copy of UK 'classic cars' magazine which has a 4 page buyer's guide to the Indy.
    If you send me a PM with your email, I can scan and email it if you like.

You have certainly come to the right forum for advice, as there are many wise heads here who can direct you.

Good luck with the purchase.

Mark.

17. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    had an extra vent in the hood for better interior cooling. 15" wheels and greed fluid brakes. a much nicer car. way better braking. and a lot of small interior changes.

18. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    Like this one: Maserati Indy 4.9 Litre 1975 28.000 km | Sold | Collection | VSOC

With green LHM fluid.

This car is in Holland, another good example of how nice an Indy can be I think.

19. ignominus

ignominus Karting

Sep 6, 2013
    I confirm. you can normally recognize a 4.9 with the third extra vent grid. Some, if not all?, were fitted with the hydrolic Citroen brakes, which are very powerful but deserves good maintenance. Any leaks and you'll loose brake pressure, resulting is no braking possible. So that is why I recommend having a very functional handbrake on a 4.9.

I find the Canadian one quite cheap. In Europe the 4.9 are now way over 100.000 euros, and the nicest ones around 200.000 euros.

20. TBigs

TBigs Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2010
    NW Ohio
    Full Name:
    Terry
    This sounds very much like an Indy a relative of mine owned in Toronto. PM sent.

21. ignominus

ignominus Karting

Sep 6, 2013
    A nice 4.9 soon-for-sale in France:

AOC Automobiles

It is the same car that was for sale about a year ago at Mirbach in Germany:
    MIRBACH. Automobile die begeistern

Seems to be a beautiful one, and apparently one of the last made.

I could also track it on the French Thepenier registry. It shows that the first owner was Michel David-Weill, who was the chairman of the investment bank Lazard Frères.

22. Angus81

Angus81 Karting

Oct 15, 2011
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Angus Young
    #22 Angus81, Jan 14, 2016
    Thanks for the publicity ....
    Good luck with the restoration, back to the "Marrone Colorado", very nice colour
    Angus

23. ignominus

ignominus Karting

Sep 6, 2013
    #23 ignominus, Jan 15, 2016
    I am desperately looking for this glovebox knob for my Indy... If anyone has a spare one, please shout !

That may also be installed on cars of other makes...

24. ignominus

ignominus Karting

Sep 6, 2013
    Also, do you know if alcantara dashbord top on the picture above is stock? I am not sure, I think they only came in leather or leatherette, but I may be wrong.

25. ignominus

ignominus Karting

Sep 6, 2013
    I was told that this one (which I mentioned in an earlier post) will be for sale at Retromobile is a few days:
    AOC Automobiles

I have seen and driven this car, and I must say it is close to perfection. No idea about the price though.