599 Lowering on original suspension | FerrariChat

599 Lowering on original suspension

Discussion in '612/599' started by coupe1, Aug 3, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. coupe1

coupe1 Formula 3

Jan 15, 2007
    Singapore
    Gentleman, is it possible to lower the 599 on its original suspension? just like it is possible
    to do with a 430?
    Also, any recommendations on a nice aftermarket exhaust for the 599? The car is very quiet after initial startup, between 3 to 6k rpm its too quiet. Quite impossible for me to be pushing the car beyond 6k rpm regularly on the streets where I live just to heard the gorgeous snarl of the V12.
    Appreciate any advice.

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #2 tazandjan, Aug 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Johnny- All late model Ferraris have adjustable ride height within a small range, probably within about 15-20 mm, and still be able to adjust camber and toe-in to factory specs. After lowering, a full front and rear suspension alignment will be necessary. IIRC the shims for adjusting camber are available in 1-3 mm thicknesses, so quite a bit of variability. The shims are #21. The rear suspension is similarly adjustable.

Taz
    Terry Phillips
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. coupe1

coupe1 Formula 3

Jan 15, 2007
    Singapore
    Thank you for yr short but concise reply! Going to get my dealer to do it soon.

4. unotaz

unotaz Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Johnny,
    For the exhaust, you can always go with Tubi (that's what I have on my car, sport, non-valve version). I have also heard the Kreisseg exhaust in person and it does sound really good as well.

The problem with modern Ferraris is the valve system, which makes the car sounds like crap with it's just cruising around town. Therefore, I would recommend getting an exhaust system without the valve-control.

Michael

5. coupe1

coupe1 Formula 3

Jan 15, 2007
    Singapore
    Sound good. Will definitely look into it ..Thks.

6. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Michael- Valve control is great for long distance cruising, where you do not want a loud exhaust for several hours. Capristo makes a system with remote control for the pneumatic valves, so you can have the best of both worlds. Also, rigging a switch under the dash for manually opening the valves on the OEM exhaust is easy to do on the 599 because it is a fail open system.

A common misconception is that you have to be at high revs for the system to open the valves. No 599 WSM yet, but on a 575M the valves are open at idle, close at 1000 rpm, and reopen at 64% throttle and only 2720 rpm. The 599 should be similar. Any time you are on it at all, the valves open very early.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

7. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    #7 Ferrarista3, Aug 3, 2010
    Get your dealer to install a switch which controls the exhaust valves. In one position the valves work as standard (for those times that you might want to mute your car), in the other they will remain ALWAYS open. The 599's stock exhaust sounds great across the whole range even when driving calmly with open valves (IMO).

If the people at your dealership know what they're doing it should be a cheap and quick installation. I suspect you'd be happy with the results.

Indeed

8. Driftracer3

Driftracer3 Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2006
    The stock suspension is best for lowering if you do mostly street driving. There is an aftermarket coilover setup, but its more for the hardcore driver.

9. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    You can have the dealer lower it to GTE specs.

10. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    What Terry said.
    Cars driven hard have dirty inner tailpipes, cars balloon-footed have dirty external pipes. Mine are always dirty on inside, and often both sides, with carbon all over the rear bumper. PITA to clean, but worth it. :):)
    My car has been dropped some, and has camber set to my preferences, corner weighed.
    Droning of aftermarket exhausts is intolerable for long trips, and it pisses off our fellow motorists, who then call people in after they're passed....
    Have lowered all my F-cars a bit and tweaked alignment always. Damn Superamerica HGTE delivered with worst alignment I'd ever seen, none of the wheels pointed in same direction, squirrelly under braking. Drop, alignment, and rear spacers fixed all of it.
    L

11. coupe1

coupe1 Formula 3

Jan 15, 2007
    Singapore
    Thanks. I agree the 599 need spacers too. What size are you using on yr car? On the standard 20 inch challenge style rims?
    I have tried putting the manettino setting in Race, but dont really hear much of a difference in exhaust sound even when the car is runing 5k rpm. Cant really heard that
    the valves are opening earlier too.

12. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    #12 DZ-96, Jan 6, 2016
    Hello

reactivating this theme :

Next spring, i want to get my 599 a little bit lower, like the examples from the photos.

At Eurospares, the GTO springs are listed for 50 pounds each,what result do i get ?
    Or should i go the way with the original springs ?

Terry wrote, that there are shims, you need for the suspension alignment after lowering.
    So is it only possible to lowering/adjusting the car at a Ferrari dealer, because he has these shims ?

Are there any other important details when doing this ?

Daniel

13. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Once again me

Now i'm a little bit confused.
    After a telephone call with an official dealer today, he told me, that it is not a good idea to adjust the car lower with the original springs.
    The suspension could "break through" "go onto block".

He offered me a HGTE upgrade with the HGTE springs, thicker HGTE rear stabilizer, HGTE spring level limiter and HGTE control unit.

What do the experts say about the negative feedback of lowering the 599 with the original suspension ?

Daniel

14. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Daniel- As long as it is kept to the 15-20 mm range, it causes no problems except clearance over driveways, etc. More than that and you get the shock absorbers out of their optimum operating range. The HGTE suspension is a great deal if the price is right. Dealers were trying to get rid of excess stocks of HGTE upgrade kits not too long ago. Kits with suspension parts, F1 Superfast upgrades, new wheels and new exhaust were running $15-18K here in the States and the value of the 599 raises somewhat with the kit installed. As long as your serial number is higher than 156938. Other kits without the shock and transmission ECUs, wheels, and exhaust were much, much cheaper and fit all 599s. Only the 7.3.2 ECU and TCU were incompatible with the early, 7.1.1 599s.

15. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Your 1st 2 sentences makes sense.

A shorter HGTE spring has the same effect as screwing down with the original spring, except the HGTE spring has another rate and the car is stiffer.
    The operating range varies a little bit to the original range in both cases.
    I think the working ranges are nearly the same in both cases( HGTE and lowered original).

I hope you understand what i mean.

Is a free mechanic able to do the suspension alignment, or do you need these shims you wrote (#21) ?

Daniel

16. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Daniel- The HGTE uses the same shocks as the standard 599, so I know exactly what you mean. Me trying to explain that in German would be really funny. Your English is great and my German is way out of practice.

17. odf911

odf911 Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2013
    London UK (Chelsea)
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Hi Taz, re-lauching an old post. I have H&R springs on my car now and though the rear has lowered quite a while the front is at exactly the same height as before on HGTE springs. I was told by the mechanics that installed the H&R springs that the car could not be lowered more because the suspension would then be too close to the sway bar ... does that make sense to you? Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

18. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Olivier- I am afraid that one is beyond my level of expertise when it comes to aftermarket springs, which vary in length and stiffness. A good independent shop that does race car alignments would probably be a better source for a knowledgeable opinion. They can usually get the shims they need if she needs to be realigned, assuming lowering is possible.

19. pierre_l

pierre_l Rookie

Jan 15, 2006
    my 612 has the original suspension adjusted to minimum height, I love it and would recommend it to anyone

Makuono likes this.
  20. Alex691964

Alex691964 Rookie

Jul 24, 2019
    Full Name:
    Alex bernard
    Hi Taz i saw your short post ,i tried lowering original suspensions,no issue for rear but for the front shocks are touching the stabilizer bar.any tip for solving the matter?

21. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Alex- Sorry, but you need a pro to help you on that one.

22. Alex691964

Alex691964 Rookie

Jul 24, 2019
    Full Name:
    Alex bernard
    You mean i ve to dismantle the stabilizer and re fix it after have lowered the shocks?

23. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    Hi!
    Can you share some pictures of it? Thanks.

24. 360Marnix

360Marnix Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2017
    Holland
    Interested aswell!