Make your own cam shim removal tools for $1.99 | FerrariChat

Make your own cam shim removal tools for $1.99

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by bpu699, Jan 3, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    #1 bpu699, Jan 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ok, I live in wisconsin... its cold... and I like making my own tools :). Figured this might help someone out...

Required:

1) 1 harbor freight screw driver, medium. FREE with any purchase with coupon. Make sure you get a cheap screwdriver, as they aren't hardened and very easy to retool...

2) 1 cheap small wrench as pictured. You want the cheapest one, from stamped metal so the edges aren't curved. FREE... came with my IKEA cabinets. But you an probably get them at Harbor Freight too, though I havent checked... You probably have one laying around the garage...

STEP 1: Get a grinder (grinding wheel, dremel, whatever you have) and grind the cheap wrench to look like the ferrari tool. Takes 5 minutes. I even polished mine to make sure there were absolutely no sharp edges eve though it doesn't really matter...

It will take a couple tries to get it exactly the right thickness, as you slowly grind it down...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    #2 bpu699, Jan 3, 2016
    STEP 2 Now, make the other tool that depresses the cam shim...

You need a vise, a hammer, and a cheap screwdriver.

Bank the screwdriver into a curve against the vise. Takes a minute...

Then. I polished the heck out of it to make sure there were no sharp edges...

3. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    #3 bpu699, Jan 3, 2016
    Now, use the 2nd tool to depress the cam shim... it takes very little force really. Make sure you don't scratch the cam or the shim... I actually wrapped the end of the tool in heatshrink tubing to further prevent any possible issues... The ferrari tool doesn't have this extra "safety feature" :).

Here is a pic of the shim depressed, and the holder in place:

4. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    #4 bpu699, Jan 3, 2016
  5. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    A poster did mention in another thread that the original ferrari tools were brass... presumably to decrease risk of scratching the cam...

Be careful guys! I wrapped the shim toom in shrink wrap as a safety measure...

Best as I can tell though, the current tools are made from hardened and chromed vanadium steel, and finished black (thats what it says in the description).

If thats the case, certainly they are harder than the mild steel from Harbor Freight...

If you plan to adjust a lot of valves, get the ferrari tool!

If you plan to adjust 1 or 2 valves every 5-10 years, and like making your own tools... then this might work for you!

6. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    #6 ernie, Jan 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
    Stooge tool award.

I LOVE IT!

7. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I for see a problem. You get the car back together and you are ready for the first start.....and take a look at your home made shim tool....and realize that the heat shrink
    safety coating.....is missing.

8. wintech

wintech Karting

Jun 1, 2011
    Perth WA
    Full Name:
    Pete K
    Damn Bo!
    you are a box of surprises, on this timing/cam/tappet subject. Seems you embrace the same idiom I have inherited form my old man; 'if you need something and can't justify the cost, then make it from nothin'! I got 1/2 way through making something similar and decided to put the time into removing the cams after measuring the lash.
    Cheers
    Pete K
    Perth, WA

9. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Good point :). Works fine without the heat shrink too... Its not really necessary...

10. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    For me, only 1 valve was off... I figured removing the cam likely increased more problems than it fixed...

11. Mark 328

Mark 328 Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    Orange, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark Foley
    I like to take the cams-out and micro-polish the caps and the cams. Over the years the surfaces have become very smooth and glossy so the can't hold much oil.

12. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The original Ferrari tools were steel.

The brass junk are reproductions.

13. Keith360

Keith360 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Keith Williams
    So let me get this straight, the surface is too smooth so you want to micro polish the surfaces so they hold more oil?

If that is what your saying, you need some personal study on the subject of both friction and how oil works to separate metallic objects.

I suspect someone has fed you some malarkey.

14. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
  15. BJJ

BJJ Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2014
    Thank you for the expert explanation ;).

For what reason are cylinder bores honed (aside perfecting the shape)? Or, more modern, laser-structured? Instead of making a mirror finish?

Cheers, Bernhard

P.S.: laser structuring: "The process uses a laser to burn small pits into areas of the cylinder bore surface where ring loading and wear are highest. The pits improve oil retention and ring lubrication, and significantly reduces ring and bore wear." Or see here: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/latj.201290067/pdf

16. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    For what reason are cylinder bores honed (aside perfecting the shape)? Or, more modern, laser-structured? Instead of making a mirror finish?

Iron cylinders were honed to make them round and a Little rough to help the rings wear in and seal. The Nikasil liners on the later Ferrari's and other modern cars use a different tool to finish the cylinders, not conventional honing stones. What you mentioned above is the first I heard of this process.

17. BJJ

BJJ Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2014
    Well, Opel (GM) launched laser honing in 2002 already.

18. Mark 328

Mark 328 Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    Orange, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark Foley
    #18 Mark 328, Jan 8, 2016
    When a mirror smooth surface rubs against another mirror smooth surface, under pressure, the oil is effectively "wiped-off". An example of this is with machinist gage blocks (or Joe Blocks) when they are rubbed together there is not even room for air. A finely lapped surface will not hold air, oil or anything. The micro polishing does not affect the dimension at all, but it does allow the surface to hold a few molecules of oil here and there. If there is no oil the surface can gall and pick-up a few molecules of each piece. This is why used valve shims have a few minor galling spots.
    This galling shows-up too when putting a press fit pin, bushing... together. If the surface is mirror-smooth there is likely to be som galling however if you press in the same components, but you put a fine micro-polished finish and some oil the parts will press together with non or minimal galling. The micro finish should be fine like the finish on a new ball bearing race.
    Attached are pictures of my cam caps when I took them out 5 yrs later they looked the same except for a few spots that were smoothed-out. 6 years ago I re-polished the shiny spots and I'm getting ready to do it again so in the next few months I should have some more pictures.
    A shaft that has a seal rubbing on it should be micro-polished too or the seal should be shimmed-out so it does not rub in the same groove.

19. Mark 328

Mark 328 Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    Orange, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark Foley
    Keith 360;
    Yes the smooth surfaces do not hold oil very well. Along with what others have said, the hone marks in a cylinder should stay-in, if they wear-out there will be a lot of wear and heat.

20. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    That looks like someone didn't change the oil for a long time or it was contaminated...

21. Mark 328

Mark 328 Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    Orange, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark Foley
    bpu669, what looks like the oil wasn't changed/contaminated?

The black mark on the outside of the cam was corrosion from pressure washing the engine before I opened it up.

My car is a driver and it has over 7ok miles on it.

22. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Got it!

Sorry if perhaps I looked at it wrong? The cam retainer looked like it was possibly scratched? I thought thats what you were trying to show? Are those the original honing marks or did you rehone it?

I am not a machinist nor claim and epertise in this area :).

Apologies.

Bo

23. Mark 328

Mark 328 Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    Orange, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark Foley
    The cross hatch on the caps was put in to hold more oil on the cam & caps when the engine runs. They work like the cross hatch in a cylinder bore and they have mostly remained after the 1,000 or so miles between belt changes.

You are lucky you were not a machinist!!

24. BJJ

BJJ Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2014
    It is highly relevant, how the surface structure is in detail. Just as an example look at the laser honing technology.

The laser makes tiny "pockets" into the surface. At the same time crater rims around the pockets are created. The latter is not desired and leads to excessive wear. Thus, the laser honed cylinder is afterwards subjected to a mechanical treatment, that removes the crater rims.

The laser technology results in very defined structures. Mechanical grinding/honing/micropolishing processes are far less defined and may result in a high number of tiny (undesired) protrusions, more or less sharp, together with the (desired) pockets for retaining oil. This depends very sensible on how and with what tools and materials the honing/grinding/micropolishing was done.