Trading my Porsche GT3 for a F430 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Trading my Porsche GT3 for a F430

Discussion in '360/430' started by schefdeh5, Jan 7, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

guys...I am being a bit hard headed this morning. accept my apologies for the jousting.

2. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    I agree with what you said earlier. A Ferrari is a GREAT car, but it's just a car.

3. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    #28 sherpa23, Jan 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
    Wasn't trying to bust - just wanted clarification. Manual F430s probably won't be depreciating but that's not what we are discussing here because that's not a straight trade for a GT3 on any planet.

As I said, if I wanted an F430, I wouldn't let any potential depreciation get in the way. You could have bought a 2005 F430 in 2010 for not much more than today's prices. That's five years you could have been enjoying an F430 for not much money, in terms of depreciation. Was there some level of depreciation? Sure. Was it enough to truly lose sleep over? Not likely, especially if you really enjoy driving the car.

4. TheCook

TheCook Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2015
    Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Ian
    No apology needed Pete. I think the difficulty is that for us who own them, we'd like to think they are just cars and so not spoil the enjoyment of putting on the miles. But if I referred to either my 911 or 430 (or 612 for that matter :) ) as just a car outside of this forum I know exactly what people would think of me, and rightly so for they are all very special cars. I think the message is clear to the OP though, drive it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. schefdeh5

schefdeh5 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2008
    U.S.A.
    #30 schefdeh5, Jan 8, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I let him know that I want a PPI done and I'm open to sending him my previous PPI from Porsche.

I appreciate all the feedback guys. My thinking is this: I'm going to sell the GT3 in early Spring this year to free up some money for an investment I want. If I do the trade this month, and enjoy the F430 for a few months and then eventually sell it around summertime this year:

1) How much money will I lose/gain?
    2) Will I get the same value for the F430 as the GT3?
    3) How quickly do F430 with 25k miles get sold for?

These are the questions that are now circling my mind. Here's a pic of my car .. just for fun.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    Red flags should be going off in your head if a dealer is willing to do a straight trade.

7. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #32 Kevin Rev'n, Jan 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
    You could lose at least 10 percent due to the short duration of ownership. People will want to know why you are dumping the car. Ferrari worries are big-sack-of-money worries so short term ownership is a tough sell IMO

No, why do you think the dealer wants your car?

Unknown but consider that a 1 owner totally documented service history in hand and proof that the Ferrari had a well cared for life would sell much quicker than a multi owner car with no service history that you need to unload right now.

Not sure if an option but maybe see if the dealer will lease you the 430 for 2000 per month. I think you come out ahead if you keep for 6 months and return it.

EDIT... and your car is beautiful! The thing about the GT3 is that the masses know it's a Porsche and "well made" and "use-able" so the market is larger when you need to sell. Ferrari is extra special and very exotic so the market you will be selling into is smaller. If there was ever a Ferrari made that will help to balance these two markets the 430 is it but I wouldn't want to be holding one and need to sell unless it was one of the appreciating models.

8. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    OP, listen to Kevin.

Furthermore, Ferrari ownership is generally about enthusiasm and passion. If someone is buying a car just for the summer and is concerned about what it's going to be worth at the end of the summer, the car is going to be appear to be unloved and basically purchased for nothing more than an extended joy ride. People will see there was no passion or enthusiasm. You have probably noticed that there is no shortage of F430s on the market. People will no problem looking elsewhere for a more loved and appreciated car.

9. schefdeh5

schefdeh5 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2008
    U.S.A.
    Kev, you're a true brother. Thank you for the insight. Sometimes I need somebody else's viewpoint. I can wait after my investment to get the F-Car.

This is why I Love F-chat. Good job guys.

10. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I try to help my comrades! Can't wait to talk you into a car!

11. Gated

Gated Formula 3

Dec 21, 2009
    Somewhat different but I sold my 2010 GT3 last June after I bought the 2002 360 manual. I never thought I'd sell the GT3 as it was sublime but the 360 is just so incredibly mechanical yet modern at the same time. Pretty too.

You'll be happy with it as a toy.

12. PerthBloke

PerthBloke Rookie

Jun 10, 2014
    Perth WA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I sold my 996 GT3 18 months ago for a 430 F1 spider, my only regret is that the GT3 is now worth twice what I sold it for here in Australia. GT3 was a solid track car compared to 430 but on the road it's different. Every drive is an event, sound is so intoxicating. Have both if you can afford it, I wish I had kept mine... But purely for the way it's appreciated.

13. PerthBloke

PerthBloke Rookie

Jun 10, 2014
    Perth WA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I sold my 996 GT3 18 months ago for a 430 F1 spider, my only regret is that the GT3 is now worth twice what I sold it for here in Australia. GT3 was a solid track car compared to 430 but on the road it's different. Every drive is an event, sound is so intoxicating. Have both if you can afford it, I wish I had kept mine... But purely for the way it's appreciated.

14. cavlino

cavlino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2002
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Carm Scaffidi
    I have a 2005 F430 F1 Spider and a 2005 996 GT3. I have had a Porsche or a Ferrari since 1998. I have been without a Porsche once and a while but never without a Ferrari.

I drive the GT3 at the track at Porsche Driver Education events, some times I will take a Ferrari to those events.

If I had to pick one it would be the Ferrari since I drive on the street more then at the track.

Street driving is always more fun with any model Ferrari versus any model Porsche that I have experienced.

15. Ingpr

Ingpr F1 Rookie

Jun 30, 2009
    PR
    Full Name:
    David
    #40 Ingpr, Jan 9, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. ph12

ph12 Karting

Jun 28, 2015
    Los Angeles
    how do you hang wheels on the wall like that?

oh and very nice cars lol