F355 Steering wheel compatibility | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F355 Steering wheel compatibility

Discussion in '348/355' started by olive, Feb 8, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Some older cars I worked on when I was knee high to a grasshopper has the horn button on the floor like the later high beam switches

Going to make my car a 4 pedal LOL

2. tryptomine

tryptomine Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2007
    France
  3. madturk

madturk Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    Williston, ND
    Full Name:
    Seyhan Kilincci
    I have a 360 carbon fiber CS wheel with an airbag, I have the 355 non airbag wheel, and have a 456 wheel.
    It took some time and $$$$ to gather it all.
    I will sell the 2 wheels when I finally decide which to use. Right now I am leaning towards the 456 wheel as it seems to be the pretties.

4. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter Karting

Jul 15, 2014
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Dayan
    #29 DaisyCutter, Jan 11, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    In lieu of an original non-airbag wheel...

Momo MOD78 with Hills Engineering Adaptor and Quick Release Hub.

Horn connectors need to be disconnected before removing wheel. Utilising it more as a spacer than for any need to get the wheel out of the way. Handy when i do need to though.

Makes a noticable difference to the feel of driving the car. The weight of the bagged wheel compared to this is amazing.

I feel this design suits the period F355 interior whilst references the older 308 style wheel.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

jimmym likes this.
  5. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter Karting

Jul 15, 2014
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Dayan
  6. golden_eagle

golden_eagle Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Hi, I am new in the F355 section and I am looking for an original factory F355 non-airbag steering wheel as equipped with the 1994 and early 1995 models. Unfortunately, my car is a late 1995 model and has already airbags and the respective steering wheel which I do not like very much. I have read the threads on this topic here and I know that the non-airbag wheel is hard to find. But maybe there is somebody out there that has one or knows one or can give me a hint where to find one. - Many thanks in advance for you replies.
    Thomas

7. tryptomine

Nov 16, 2007
    France
  8. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter Karting

Jul 15, 2014
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Dayan
    I don't believe that particular part can be used as a 'spacer' for the retention of an airbag wheel. It is an 'adaptor' to replace the original wheel with a non-airbag wheel, such as a Momo. It 'spaces' the shallow-dish Momo wheel a similar distance to the airbag wheel which has a greater offset from the hub.

The airbag wheel uses 4 bolts to mount to the hub whilst the Momo requires 6 as you can see in the SWS-355B image.

To move an airbag wheel closer you would need the spacer to have a 4 bolt pattern.

I added the quick-release unit to the Hills Engineering adaptor to bring the wheel closer to me.

9. tryptomine

Nov 16, 2007
    France
    But it's written "For converting Airbag Steering wheels to 6 hole MOMO fixing"
    Where should I attach airbag cable than ? Btw I will not use airbag steering wheel , I am going to buy MOMO wheel with 6 screws that I will attach to this adaptor. Only worries me that the cable from airbag will get a light on dashboard that it's not attached. What should I do not to have a airbag light?

10. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    You need to replace the airbag with a resistor that matches the airbag impedance for the light not to trigger.

11. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Tim doesn't need a horn - he just yells and give the one-finger salute! He IS a New Yorker...

12. tryptomine

Nov 16, 2007
    France

No one have photos where to attach the cable, cause I found a MOMO hub for use with airbag models?

13. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter Karting

Jul 15, 2014
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Dayan
    My apologies, I misunderstood your intentions.

As Pete said, you will need to wire a resistor of the correct impedance (some suggest 3.3 ohm 1/2 watt, but check for yourself) into the airbag plug so that the circuit remains complete. These can come supplied with hub adaptors or look for one on eBay.

My car was an airbag model and I used the Hills Engineering adaptor. Worked a treat.

Just remember to have the battery off before you start this and don't turn it back on until you have a resistor securely in place.

14. tryptomine

Nov 16, 2007
    France

No one have photos where to attach the cable, cause I found a MOMO hub for use with airbag models?

15. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter Karting

Jul 15, 2014
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Dayan
    The airbag cable doesn't attach anywhere. Unplug cable from airbag, wire in the resistor to the plug securely and job done.

16. tryptomine

Nov 16, 2007
    France
    And what about horn from the steering wheel ,there is also 1 more plug for it ?

17. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Connect them to the horn on the new wheel. Just connect both wires, polarity doesn't matter as it's just a switch.

18. madturk

madturk Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    Williston, ND
    Full Name:
    Seyhan Kilincci
    I'd let mine go for $2500 shipped if you are interested.

19. golden_eagle

golden_eagle Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Thanks for the offer. Much appreciated, but the price is high. Give me a little time to think about it.

20. madturk

madturk Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    Williston, ND
    Full Name:
    Seyhan Kilincci
    Sure thing... I know the price is high and not fair actually. The reason is because I am not ready to sell any of it just yet. I am being greedy until I decide which to keep.

21. tryptomine

Nov 16, 2007
    France

I now I feel stupid for myself, but I don't get it (((
    With horn I understand , but with airbag I didn't.

DaisyCutter
    could you please explain one more time.
    I will turn battery off on my car, unplug a steering wheel with airbag.
    After all this I will have 2 wires ? Right ?
    1) for horn
    2) for airbag

Horn cable I will connect to steering wheel which will have cable so I will insert in it.

What about airbag cable ? Does the adaptor have a resistor in which I should plug it or what .
    How does it look like this resistor? Where I should buy this resistor ?

Will be very appreciated for help.

Thanks

22. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter Karting

Jul 15, 2014
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Dayan
    Most likely you will receive a resistor included when you buy the Momo adaptor. If not, have a look online for 'airbag resistor' and I'm sure you will find many for sale. Once you have removed the airbag from the car, all that is left is to wire the resistor into the airbag cable plug securely. The circuit once again becomes complete so you should not have any warning lights. The car should not be able to tell the difference between the resistor and an airbag.

If you have any further trouble, do a search here on this forum. There are quite a few helpful threads.

Cheers.

23. Yassa

Yassa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Dr Yassa Hughes
    LOL this made me laugh. Love your honesty :)

24. toussi1

toussi1 Karting

Jun 10, 2007
    USA
    Regarding the Quick Release part, what part number is that?
    Is this correct and apply for bot F355 and 360
    - MOMO STEERING WHEEL
    - HILL ENGINEERING ADAPTER
    - QUICK RELEASE HUB?
    - HORN?