ATTN TWO 250 FERRARI ENGINES STOLEN | FerrariChat

ATTN TWO 250 FERRARI ENGINES STOLEN

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Fpayntr, Jan 12, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fpayntr

Fpayntr Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2008
    This Sunday evening two 250 engines were stolen from a workshop in Modena, Italy that I have doing some work for me. They claim the door was broken down and the engines stolen. Somehow the alarm was eluded. Any information would be greatly appreciated. The numbers are 1543GT and 2709GTE.

2. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #2 Marcel Massini, Jan 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Which has probably already been ground off. :(

4. Fpayntr

Fpayntr Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2008
    #4 Fpayntr, Jan 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    That is a restamped number already.
    Internal number 880 E relates to 4259 GT (another 250 GTE 2+2).

Marcel Massini

6. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    Is the shop assuming responsibility?

7. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Incorrect!!! This is an E-series engine block from 1961-62. 880E is a late number built around December 1962, so correct serial number should be something around 29xx-30xx.

8. Fpayntr

Fpayntr Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2008
    I already knew that that wasn't the original engine for that particular car. The other 1543 is a numbers matching. The problem is how to find these quickly. I just found out today that both gearboxes were taken as well. The shop claims not to have insurance. Tells me in Italy it is not required

9. thepinkumbrella

thepinkumbrella F1 Veteran

Feb 26, 2006
    United Kingdom
    4253 GT has internal number 876/62E so why cannot 4259 GT have 880E?

Paul

10. Marius

Marius Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2006
    Germany/Belgium
    Full Name:
    Marius
    Oh dear, not good, fingers crossed for you. Strange workshop...

11. Fpayntr

Fpayntr Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2008
    Seriously guys, I posted here because these engines were stolen! I'm really not so concerned with the sequence of numbers. I was actually hoping for help from the Ferrari community.

12. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    And as long as the discussion in this thread is ongoing, your alert stays near the top of the page and is seen by more and more people. We all want you to recover your components and we are all hoping that someone who either has insight into their potential whereabouts, or who is capable of providing sound advice in how to recover them, will see this thread and speak up. If the others stop posting comments here, however, then your thread will be supplanted by more active discussions and will eventually fall off the bottom of the page.

13. Fpayntr

Fpayntr Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2008
    Point well taken. Thank you, This is just extremely frustrating

14. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    And the shop's alarm was circumvented or "avoided"?

Search the owner's cousin's garage.

15. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    don't hold your breath...

there are dark elements in the Ferrari community... motors can easily be camouflaged
    inside a needy body to never be seen again...

stolen Ferrari like LM4619SA have been missing since the 70's, recently a $1,000,000 reward for its' return has been posted, there are other more recent thefts posted here, none of which have been found and returned to their owners... the post about a 375+ goes on for years, with its' own version of theft and corruption... there are those who will turn a blind eye to bad behavior when it comes to Ferrari cars and parts... there is little that law enforcement can do, unless it falls into their laps... there was a Corvette recently recovered after 40 years, only after there was a question about the registration of the car... it's a shame that are those that condone the perpetuation of corruption

16. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Paul, not looking to derail the thread any further, but you're talking about two different sequences -- the earlier sequence with numbers ending only in "E", and then the later sequence with numbers ending in "/62E". If you have questions, feel free to shoot me an email or PM.

17. w.Hudkins

w.Hudkins Karting

May 16, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    William Todd Hudkins
    Will you provide the name of the shop?

18. Fpayntr

Fpayntr Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2008
    The shop is Protauto in Modena Marco Baldi is the owner

19. Fpayntr

Fpayntr Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2008
    This is the email I received from them

Hi Brian,
    > Unfortunately i have to inform you that on the evening of the 10th of January at 20.30 (time reported from the control center) burglars introduced themselves in the Modena workshop eluding the alarm system and all the security measures, stealing the two Ferrari California engines that you sent to us, as well as other items they found in the workshop.
    > The police have informed us that to be able to file a police report, your presence or a legal delegate to us (me or my father) is required. We look forward to hearing from you as soon as possible.
    > Yours sincerely, Enzo

20. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    This is the same shop that did 0812 and 0814 for Coco Chinetti--likely insured. Have you inquired about their insurance situation? Of course, any insurance carrier will require a police report, and it sounds as though the police are requiring your presence. I imagine it might be worth making the trip.

21. Fpayntr

Fpayntr Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2008
    Marco told me that they do NOT have insurance. I'm taking several cars to Cavallino but the day after i will be going to visit. I presently have a lawyer over there trying to help. The shop has alarms and camera yet somehow it was bypassed???? Yet they know the exact time of the break in. Getting answers from here is next to impossible. There can't be too many places to take these engines. I hope if I can put enough pressure they will magically appear. But like the other post said, I won't hold my breath

22. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    Not the first time....

23. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    All shops that I know of are "store at owners risk". Now of course these are just your normal run of the mill car servicing shops.

Best of luck for the OP finding his engines.
    Pete

24. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    I think it is quite important that you/we are looking for the correct engine - and therefore it is essential to note that 880E (stolen) and 880/62E (s/n 4259) are different units.

25. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Just curious, and to keep this thread on top: The shop holder calls them California engines, but they are from a GTE and a PF coupe. Were these engines destined for replicas? I wouldn't be surprised if these stolen engines end up with a(nother) replica builder.