Negotiating price at a F dealer | FerrariChat

Negotiating price at a F dealer

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by blackbolt22, Jan 18, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    I bought my last Ferrari over 6 years ago but not from a F dealer. Asking was 200, I bought it for 177 so I got a little over 10% off.

What are others experiences at dealers? I'm looking at a 2011 nicely optioned Italia with low miles at a dealer. Asking is 220.

Approximately what percentage off could be expected?. there are a lot of 458s for sale now.

2. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    All they can do is say no. Negotiating is half the fun!

3. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I don't think it's necessarily a percentage

4. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Have you checked the 458s for sale on this forum? I believe there are a few at a decent price.

Sorry but can't help in regards to your actual question.

5. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    If you're not at least slightly embarrassed about the number leaving your lips then you're not negotiating hard enough.

6. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    Agreed. I started off at 155 last time around.
    Was walking at 175. Manager appears and says 177. We took it.

7. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    Correct. It is a buyers market now, at least for 458 coupes.

8. RallyeChris

RallyeChris Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2012
    Northport, NY
    Full Name:
    S.C.Conigliaro
    LMAO. So true.

9. LV Eric

LV Eric Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2006
    LA & LV
    Full Name:
    eric
    last summer i bought a 1000 mile f12 at a dealer, was a consigned car(that's how they represented it-i 66% believe that)

I think they were asking 359 for it, I didnt really pay attention as asking numbers mean absolutely ZERO to me-i've been around sales way to long, i'm jaded and then some.

I paid 332 for it. should have been 330 but i was too lazy to argue about the last 2K so i paid 332. Dead bottom wholesale at the time on the car was 325-328, so it was a ok deal, not the best and certainly not the worst i did on a car.

10? years ago when i bought my Enzo same dealer wanted, this one i remember the top line number on, again useless but ill share the story FWIW:

$1.2M, it was 100% a consigned car, they had it for 12 hours, i happened to be in service with a CS and saw another Enzo and asked myself "Why aint i driving one of these?". talking to the service guy i asked the question to him, and he said the showroom just got one in. So off to the show room I went. they said "1.2" I replied "1.0, wire goes out in the morning i'll call it in now". After 20 minutes we settled at 1.075, I called in the wire-done deal. Sadly I sold it 2-3 years later for 1.3 because i couldnt drive it(back problems-better now)

So point is top line number is BS, its a starting point that if you consider it you lose. Know what your bottom number is on the car you want and buy it, use YOUR numbers not the sellers numbers.

10. LV Eric

LV Eric Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2006
    LA & LV
    Full Name:
    eric

shouldnt even be buying cars if that's the case. Should be in school or pissed off for having bad parents.

11. dsevo

dsevo Formula Junior

May 7, 2007
    Flower Mound, TX
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    I take it the back is better? I remember your story quite well, it was intriguing.

12. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Agree! Always negotiate up from your number, not down from their number.

13. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I agree, but it does seem to always come out to about 10%, just as Blackbolt suggested, at least in my experience.

14. saraojo

saraojo Formula 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Northeast
    I got 4 and 5% off asking on my 430 spider and 458 italia. I started off higher but didn't get it.

15. JizJizJiz

JizJizJiz Karting

Nov 16, 2003
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Zack
    Many factors in negotiation, and many already covered in this thread, like market trend, "painlessness" of a deal, cost to hold, opportunity cost, etc.

As Eric said, always work at your number and comfort level, accounting on your side for how much you like it, how long you're willing to wait, etc. the asking price at any dealership (F car or not) is just that - an ask. And don't forget, many franchised dealerships do not want to be the one to set the bottom curve for a particular model even if they can sell it for less than anyone else.

Good luck with the search and purchase !

Sent from Tapatalk

16. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I got about 8% off asking when I bought my California. I dislike negotiating so maybe I could have done better

17. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    ....And always be willing to walk.

18. 8500rpm

8500rpm Formula Junior

May 20, 2014
    San Francisco Bay
    Full Name:
    Chan
    Not too hard of a problem at a Ferrari dealer. Not like you need it to go to work the next day.

......or do you?!

19. MarketGuy

MarketGuy Karting

Oct 19, 2011
    Were you purchasing a new car or used in this deal? Thought Fcar dealers seldom negotiate off of new car prices(unless demand is particularly soft).

20. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    Does the car come with a Ferrari warranty?

21. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Fwiw , April 1st I purchased from Ferrari Palm Beach a Nero / Nero 458 2012 with 3200 miles spider invoice was 335k. They were asking 279k with 6 months warrantee left and I paid 264k but the car was exactly what I wanted so logic went out the window. :)

22. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Few years ago bought a consigned car from a Ferrari Dealer that had been sitting for a while.

They wanted $160K, or some crazy ass number, when they started with the car. It had wandered down to about $140K when I took a look.

Offered $110K thinking, "No way they'll take it." Well, they didn't, but they did take $112,500.00,

My point? Each case is different. And, as my dad used to say, "If you don't ask, you don't get." Don't offer what you think THEY want, offer what you're willing to pay, and then stay firm. If you don't get this particular car, another one will come along. (Unless it's a 250GTO, in which case, that is truly a seller's market.) :D

D

23. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I think that's very true. I realize reading this that my answer only covered the fcars I've purchased, but not everything I've bought from an F dealer, per thread title. And the other direction, about a year ago our local F dealer had a maser granturismo C sport I decided I had to have, was well priced, they wouldn't budge a dime and I paid their asking. That was a 2012, three years used. I was stupid enough to buy a brand new maser GT sport coupe in 2013 and paid 20% below sticker. It just all depends.

24. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    No. Factory warranty expired. One can be purchased through Ferrari. Doubtful I will do so.

25. drgek

drgek Formula 3

Jun 21, 2004
    Full Name:
    Gary
    In 2011 I bought back the '08 599 GTB I had previously traded in from the same Ferrari dealer I had traded it to (it was NOT the Ferrari dealer I had originally ordered the car from.) Asking price was $250K. I offered $200K. Countered at $240K. Held my ground and ultimately got it for $203K. The only reason I went up is I was able to get 3K more for the Audi R8 V10 Spyder I was trading in.