Please Help | Page 11 | FerrariChat

Please Help

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by mondialqves, Dec 27, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jeka

Jeka Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2010
    Rotterdam
    Full Name:
    Johan
    That's very good news! You don't have to remove the panel and you only need your good old kohm meter. Tomorrow i am a little late at home but from 22:00 will be fine. I think we need an hour.

2. Jeka

Jeka Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2010
    Rotterdam
    Full Name:
    Johan
    So you can leave everything like it is now.

3. mondialqves

mondialqves Karting

Dec 27, 2015
    Barcelona, Spain
    Thank you so much. Have a nice sleep!

4. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan

Yay !!! +++1

5. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
  6. craigb

craigb Rookie

Nov 9, 2015
    Adelaide, Australia
    Full Name:
    Craig Baulderstone
    Very inspiring, such persistence and goodwill amongst enthusiasts! Only a recent owner of my Mondial and already have been up to my neck in electrics. Found a short within a cigarette lighter - nearly 40 yrs playing with machines and first time found something like this. I have a feeling this will be life with this car - lucky i love it so much for all its other attributes!

7. porchnut

porchnut Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2014
    Tucson, AZ
    Full Name:
    Andrew Bober
    You guys have to be nominated for Saint Hood or something, this has been an amazing journey to solve this issue.
    Andy

8. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Great work and perseverance guys!

I desperately need to find out where this "control" unit is on my 3.2, please post some pics or point me in the right direction!

I have traced the wires from the indicator panel but they disappear behind the dash, just want to know approximate location before I start tearing out the dash!

Alden

9. mondialqves

mondialqves Karting

Dec 27, 2015
    Barcelona, Spain
    On my QV the connectors for the dash are very difficult to reach just up the steering column. You can only access by the hands, small hands

10. mondialqves

mondialqves Karting

Dec 27, 2015
    Barcelona, Spain
    The control until is where the passenger foot go, there is a metallic plate that you need to remove and the unit is there.
    i will post photos

11. mondialqves

mondialqves Karting

Dec 27, 2015
    Barcelona, Spain
    Back home. I will be ready at 22.00 hs ...

12. Jeka

Jeka Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2010
    Rotterdam
    Full Name:
    Johan
    Thanks!

My '88 Mondial 3.2 does not have a check panel and electronic control unit. But in case of this QV it is in the foot well I understand. Do you have a problem with yours?

13. Jeka

Jeka Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2010
    Rotterdam
    Full Name:
    Johan
    #263 Jeka, Jan 20, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I am ready too!

In order to restore most of the functions of the check panel you only have to remove to pink/yellow wire from the black connector. See the blue arrow (on the picture of afterburner).

As you can see on the picture, the mileage (service due), brake and bonnet light will work, I guess only one of the lights indicators will be faulty. For the time being good I think.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. mondialqves

mondialqves Karting

Dec 27, 2015
    Barcelona, Spain
    Ok, give me some minutes please

15. mondialqves

mondialqves Karting

Dec 27, 2015
    Barcelona, Spain
  16. Jeka

Jeka Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2010
    Rotterdam
    Full Name:
    Johan
    Ok, now reconnect the black connector with the removed wire (please use isolation tape because this wire has 12V). If all is well, fuse 17 does not blow, all lights will work and your check panel will work (except for a lights indicator I expect).

17. mondialqves

mondialqves Karting

Dec 27, 2015
    Barcelona, Spain
    Done. Fuse does not blow

18. Jeka

Jeka Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2010
    Rotterdam
    Full Name:
    Johan
    Good! It's now time to check all lights to see if all is in good working order. Does the check panel work?

19. mondialqves

mondialqves Karting

Dec 27, 2015
    Barcelona, Spain
    Yes, it works

20. Jeka

Jeka Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2010
    Rotterdam
    Full Name:
    Johan
    Then I think the workaround is ok. Now you can decide when and whether you want to find someone to repair the input of the check panel (it's probably a blown transistor or (electrolytic) capacitor).

I want to thank you for this challenge, it was fun and instructive. The way you managed to quickly find, disconnect and connect all connectors and wires plus performing measurements was highly impressive! :)

21. mondialqves

mondialqves Karting

Dec 27, 2015
    Barcelona, Spain
    THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! I did already find someone to check it. he will do it during the weekend and I will be continuing with the reports

FYI, I own a company that manufactures tailored made covers (cars, golf, garden furniture)…I would like you to tell me the model of car you want to cover and your details and I will send you a cover directly to you as a present
    This is my website: www.covercompany.es
    We export worldwide. Please accept this as my thank you

22. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    88 3.2 here too.

My indicator panel lights are going crazy when I turn on the headlights: Left signal indicator lights up for right signal, bright (main beam) indicator flashes with turn signals and more. Started when I installed LED's in the turn indicator positions, I removed them, but the problems remain.

I am pretty sure something is fried in the control unit for the indicator panel or the stalks on the steering wheel. I tried tracing the indicator panel wires back behind the dash, but they get lost back there, so want to know where to look before I start tearing the dash apart.

I will start a thread on it when I can post a video, it is that complex. (Maybe we can do 200+ posts to fix my problem if you are game!)

All the exterior lights work as they should all the time and the panel works fine until I turn the headlights on, so it is more annoying than dangerous.

Great resources here, I cannot believe how all of us stick together with our Mondis!

Alden

23. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Excellent, Excellent work Chaps, both of you made a good team there!
    Now, Mondialqves, lets see some pictures of that damaged unit and then the fix. It's staggering that the board was the cause of all this in the end.
    AND......
    More importantly, 'Proper Diagnosis' not guess work won the day here and saved a fortune!
    Just imagaine if you had bought a new fuse/relay box and had it fitted, only to find the problem still remained.
    Good on you, Johan, you got straight to the issue here with an impressive unwavering confidence.
    Regards Bell Bloke

24. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    You guys rock!

I put this in the "sticky" thread for others that may need to track down shorting issues

25. mondialqves

mondialqves Karting

Dec 27, 2015
    Barcelona, Spain
    All the merit is his!
    I just followed what he told me! For me as easy but not for him! Wonderful guy