250 LM | Page 2 | FerrariChat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    But it's so easy to say it's not just right when you know it's a replica, couldn't it be the light or camera angle? Or the fact that many of the original cars had workmanship differences?

2. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I guess so, but heck it is MILES off!. Not remotely close or right.
    Pete

3. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    #28 Daytonafan, Jan 13, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    As I said miles off. Compare to 250 LM 5975

Follow that link and there's a photo at a very similar angle to the first photo of this replica which I would have posted side by side except I have exceeded my quota.
    Pete

5. Schlesser

Schlesser Karting

Feb 12, 2013
    5975 is indeed a very original and untouched car, but Bacchelli & Villa can do it much better as seen two times with the "6045"s...

6. babci

babci Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 19, 2011
    Bacchelli & Villa had NOTHING to do with any aspect of the construction of the Freshman/Fossil Motorsports #6045 LM. This is a fact and been confirmed in private communications directly with Freshman on more than one occasion.

7. lgs

lgs Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2006
    '6045' in the 'Non Freshman' version was rebodied twice from Bacchelli (around 1988 and 2012/3).

8. babci

babci Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 19, 2011
    #33 babci, Jan 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
    Would it not be more accurate and charitable to say the 'Non Freshman' newly constructed (Chassis built by Vaccari, or possibly Silvano Cantelli or?) version built around 1988 was bodied by Bacchelli & Villa once in that time period then again in 2012/13?

9. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    "miles off" is rather harsh based on a side view that looks distorted and given that Bacchelli & Villa have a good reputation and know what they are doing

10. miuranut

miuranut Rookie

Jun 22, 2012
    #35 miuranut, Jan 22, 2016

It never fails to amaze when strong negative views like those of PSk are based on one image and usually expressed by someone who has probably never seen the object they are pulling down.

It seems that Enigma and velocetwo are right when you follow PSk's link to 5975 at Schlumpf and see the shot below, then compare with another shot from the ORC website of the replica taken from a more similar angle than the first image in the thread. Bachelli & Villa probably have more experience working on 250LM than anyone. With such a complex curved body as the 250LM, viewing angle and lenses are all important if you are going to compare. These angles and impressions aren't exact, needing a bit of rotation in two axes, but pretty close:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    Seen the car in NL many years ago, nose is quite okay but roof line certainly not imho
    I have seen Schlumpf car and many other original LMs, for a replica it is quite nice, not perfect but all depends on PRICE.

12. lgs

lgs Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2006
    This is certainly correct. But who bodied the beautiful Freshman car that seemed to be correct from all angles? Bacchelli is for sure the most experienced and one of the best if not the best available for LM rebodies. When Bacchelli produced the first shape of '6045' around 1988, some "5149" was constructed alongside. All really beautiful creations like the one here. And this one here is certainly one with a rather accurate shape and details even compared with some 'originals' like the Monteverde car, although I have to admit that the 5975 roof and shape is a class of its own and I have seen - except the Freshman car - all of them.

13. babci

babci Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 19, 2011
    #38 babci, Jan 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
    "But who bodied the beautiful Freshman car that seemed to be correct from all angles?"

Very much agreed.Saw it twice once when owned by Mike Schoen and then again when Bernard Hallingby/Nick Sprano had it. It was the best of all of them including the Classiched remaining "what is it mystery wagon." According to Freshman when asked "Coachwork by the best in all of Reggio Emilia FF." It was a shame it ended up a pile of little pieces of chopped up steel and aluminum on the floor of charlatans. Wish I had a piece of the leftovers for a cool key chain. Kind of surprised that the Classiche economic mercenaries didn't try to reap some profit from selling them. My guess is they feared someone would do some real forensic metallurgical testing that might reveal something that would contradict what story they wound up putting forth or thought that someone would reconstruct those pieces into some sort of incredible finished artwork.

14. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #39 PSk, Jan 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
    Thank you for posting this comparison.

Differences:
    1. Top of windscreen, too thick.
    2. Rear of roof, not tapering down.
    3. Door window opening shape wrong. Note all rounded corners on the replica versus the sharp 90 on the real LM.
    4. Side window/waste depth, although I admit it looks better in this photo ... so I'll change "miles off" to "not right"

I would expect the car to look exactly the same, why not?

Although it appears impossible as when #0858 was converted to a P4, even though a body buck was made off #0900, it still looked nothing like #0900. Yes I am aware that a different company/person made that body ... I guess making bodies is really, really hard work.
    Pete

15. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    #40 Enigma Racing, Jan 25, 2016
    Sorry Pete, I am still not convinced and my point remains that it is difficult to judge from so few pictures and without seeing the car.

The side view compares very favourably to the numerous pictures posted of 5975.

16. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I'm going to drop discussing this but I want to leave this thread with one comment: If you are viewing a replica in the flesh, unless there is a real car to compare with beside it, you gain nothing from this experience other than being able to judge the build quality.

Build quality does not imply the shape is right.

It is obvious in all photos that the build quality of this replica is very very good.
    Pete

17. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Is it just Me, or does the side of the windscreen of the recreation sit slightly too vertically in respect to the A-post?

On the picture of the genuine car, the side of the windscreen runs parallel to the A-post from top to bottom, so the width of the A-post remains the same all along its length.

On the recreation, it appears that the width of the A-post at the top is slightly wider than at the bottom.

(Of course it could be that the windscreen is correct and the A-post to the door frame is wrong).

As has already been said, viewed on its own, the recreation looks very good, but when compared to a genuine car, details that aren't quite correct start to stand out.

18. Italiangarage

Italiangarage Rookie

Dec 1, 2022
    London
    Full Name:
    fabio ippaso
    There is one for sale in Holland for 1.7M GBP with English documents and another one to be completed ( chassis + body and inner panels) that could be a very interesting project in the right hands

amenasce likes this.
  19. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion