Dino vs Dino at Fantasy Junction | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Dino vs Dino at Fantasy Junction

Discussion in '206/246' started by UroTrash, Oct 13, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    Those cam covers look fantastic. This must be the best resto of any of these out there. Def looks better than the 850 I drove in high school in the late 80s!

2. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
  3. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    Olivier
    I have followed your car for the last couple of years going by the shop to see it several times and even went to the body shop once or twice . I am glad you have it all finished it really looks great look forward to seeing on the road
    LarryH

4. michael bayer

michael bayer Formula 3

Aug 4, 2004
    Keith has it right - both cars have Ferrari designed motors of equal horsepower built by Fiat, chassis that were built by Ferrari, mated to coachwork from two great houses, all assembled in the Ferrari Factory side by side. The numbers are starkly different however, there were 420 2400s made, about 200 survive, where as there were 3,761 2.4s made of which a huge portion survive. if you are a purist neither are Ferraris or if you are a purist both are. M

5. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
  6. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott

How do you define "way out of range"? As it sold for $310,000...

Not extensive damage and it was repaired properly. Most of these cars have more damage history than was caused by this transporter, except for the one mentioned above.

7. Tobi

Tobi Karting

Jun 24, 2011
    Alto Palatinato
    Has it really been sold for this price? Very interesting! If this is not a one-time thing, the range needs to be adjusted. There are some 2400 Spiders for sale that have a much lower asking price and they are still for sale.

8. jnk

jnk Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2010
    This should have been disclosed is my point. It fight occur 20 years ago but 5 months ago .

9. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Exactly. And should be disclosed to the owner too

Tobi, I respectfully disagree at how casual you take this. The damage was incurred enroute by the transporter and NOT disclosed to the owner prior to selecting a repair shop. Total deception backed with lies

10. michael bayer

michael bayer Formula 3

Aug 4, 2004
    #36 michael bayer, Jan 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
    We now have two threads here 1) valuation 2) a specific transport issue that happens to involve one of this model

To the Valuation discussion - my hypothesis: The market for 2400 spiders is very tight , there are 200 or so extant, most of those are in the hands of collectors who really appreciate these cars, wanted only the best and were willing to pay accordingly (I am one of those) These guys for the most part won't sell their cars no matter the price or offer. The remaining few cars seemed to bounce around every few years Until recently it was unusual to see even two 2400 spiders sold globally in a single year. With so tight a market a little interest significantly alters price. The wonder is not why the spiders are so high but rather why the 2.4s are at their level given their huge supply and that there are Enzo 12s available at similar prices
    As to the valuation question why is one $310,000 another $200,000 well the difference in value is about $200,000. Consider the cost of making one of these cars right, a proper engine redo is $50,000, a bondo free body is god knows and then you start on the really hard to find stuff. The next to run are the 2400 coupes - when new they were far preferred by the automotive press in the US and Europe to their sister spiders and 2.4s for performance and finish.
    Last point the performance differential between the 2400 spider and the 2000 spider is minimal - not the situation with the 2.0 Dinos vs the 2.4 Dino where the 2.0s are in a world unto them selves - they are a sheer delight one of Enzo's very best cars!

11. Tobi

Tobi Karting

Jun 24, 2011
    Alto Palatinato
    I did not discuss this issue. You might have mixed up our names. And I agree that this behavior is criminal.

12. Tobi

Tobi Karting

Jun 24, 2011
    Alto Palatinato
    I agree with you to some extent, but the owners are much more diverse. I know some of them. There are investors, collectors and enthusiasts. Especially the latter include people that would never be able to own and drive a car with a 6-digit price, but they own and love it since they bought it early enough. The Spider crashed the 100k threshold only a few years ago. Of course, the market is very tight, but there are more sales than there are out in the open. We usually only hear about the extremely high auction results, but there are also private deals that are way below these prices. By the way, there are also more 2400 Spiders left. The Italian register knows 242 at the moment already (Worldwide Dino Register). So, there should be 300+ left - for heaven's sake.
    Your figures are a bit high in my humble opinion. What is making a car right? Better than new or just a perfect driver with no faults? You can rebuild a defect engine for 20k and a body for a max of 50k if it is in bad condition. It is still possible to spend 200k for a perfect rebuild, but you'll lose 50k with the first 500 miles or kms. This is only reasonable for a museum car but not a driver. And the more Dinos on the road the better. Cars in private collections only please their owner. You're right about the Coupes, but they'll always lag behind the Spiders even if they are the better cars and the numbers of survisors are also low (maybe some high 3-digit figure).

13. michael bayer

michael bayer Formula 3

Aug 4, 2004
    Fair points all Though that rergistry is an amalgam of a lot of really good regional insight There were 40 us cars 10 years ago now 42 so while I hope there are 300 but I seriously doubt it. My engine numbers are based on hard earned experience where I had to rebuild a $25,000 rebuild for 2X.... Simply put these are 8,000 rpm engines that if operated at that part of the performance envelope will grenade to awful end if not done really right. However if the goal is a low RPM cruiser then all that other work may not be necessary So too the body work the trade space between bondo and and an english hammer is dollars and the portable ultra sound machine levels the field.
    For the record the price of these makes me sick at heart because like the Enzo 12s no one drives tham anymore It wasn't that long ago my Son, LashDeep, BrianP and I would thrash about the subrurban roads near Washington with abandon in 4 Enzo era 12s Today those four geat cars' worth would curb the abandon of any of us. There is much lost in these gains

14. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Keep in mind the $310,000 car is probably the best kept low mileage original in the world. No paint, original interior and low miles (can't remember, around 15,000 kilometers I think)

15. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    It is sad indeed. We used to drive our old 12s to dinner and to the tennis court. I would think twice now if I still had one. Heck, we even think twice about taking our Detomaso out these days for fear of damaging it.

LSJ

16. Iceblue

Iceblue Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2012
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Olivier Perault
    #42 Iceblue, Feb 1, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. mdsassaman

mdsassaman Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    Reading, PA
    Full Name:
    Mike Sassaman
    #43 mdsassaman, Apr 20, 2017
    I owned a 1967 Fiat Dino Spider Series II Serial Number 1090 and sold it in 2003 for about $22k. It was nice and had a recent engine rebuild, knock off wheels, nice paint and interior. I then bought a 308QV and later traded it for the 348 Speciale that I have now. I sure wish I had kept the Fiat Dino and had it plus the 348 today.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    imho:
    I couldn't agree more. The construction of the alloy engine with steel liners, and the Borrani knock-off hubs in a sexy - sexy convertible body is like a Mini-330GTS Ferrari. Also, the trans in the 2.4 is ZF which is rally good, but the 2.0 gearbox has has a pressure fed oil pump which technically is quite unique in automotive engineering. The 2.0 quad shock limited-slip rear axle also has lots of character on a windy road.

As for how they drive -- Unless you're doing a Mille Miglia, who cares? Want to get around the track fast? get a 458 :)

19. Priley

Priley Rookie

Jun 15, 2015
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Pete Riley
    #45 Priley, Apr 21, 2017
    Lovely cars. I owned a couple of Dino coupes before buying my Spider as a basket case around ten years ago. I always regarded them as quite a unique and exotic car but a restoration project was the only way I could afford to own one. Fortunately current values have absorbed the costs and some.
    And blasting around the English country lanes on a summer's evening is sublime.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    #46 2GT, Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    Congratulations on your gorgeous FIAT Dino spider! Many miles of happy motoring to you! Fred

21. bertspeed

bertspeed Formula Junior

Sep 19, 2009
    Yes,lovely car indeed,especially in that colour.What happened to your coupes and do you prefer the spider.

22. Priley

Priley Rookie

Jun 15, 2015
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Pete Riley
    Thanks. The first coupe went to fund the Spider and the second, both as I was out of garage space having purchased the 355, went to fund my BMW motorbike. A shame the bike is now worth 10% of the Coupe...
    The coupes are handsome cars but having never driven a Spider I took part in a shoot for Auto Italia magazine (my second 2.4 Coupe plus a 2.0 and 2.4 Spider) and had my first drive of one. I immediately realised I'd never choose to drive the Coupe over the Spider, once it was completed; the Spider is a much more agile car and the 2.0 engine much more free revving, not to mention the wind-in-the-hair aspect.
    On a related note my second Coupe is the one on Wheeler Dealers. Not the car they purchased but the dark blue one shown as a good example. I sold it to a chap in Holland with a nice collection of Bertone designed exotica.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73GDuzOG1iw