330 GTC window motor | FerrariChat

330 GTC window motor

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by John B, Jan 16, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    the window motor in my '67 330 GTC is starting to get a little flakey. It's not the switch, but the motor runs somewhat erratically and slow one even when powered directly off 12V. Does anyone know of a source for replacements, or rebuilds? Is there per chance a Fiat or Alfa cross reference?

Also Does anyone know where to get the emergency manual crank? I don't have one, but might need it soon...

2. johngtc

johngtc Formula Junior
    Owner

Mar 4, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Gould
    Several years ago an article was published which suggested replacing the motors with items from the rear tailgate of a contemporary Ford (?) station wagon. It could have been in FML or Prancing Horse.

I think the GTC windows are always slow, even after a total strip down and cleaning of the cables!

3. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #3 TTR, Jan 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Are the 330 GTC window motors same/similar to Ducellier & Co. ones found in Daytona ?
    If so and having successfully restored/serviced several pairs in past, I'd say they are relatively easy to rebuild/service, assuming armature or any other major components are not broken.
    Here's a one set I recently restored for one of the Daytonas I'm working on. I even covered them with rubberized coating (just like O.E.M.) and assisted Parker Hall to "reproduce" decals for them by providing a good sample.

As for the window crank, Tom S. or Parker would be my first choices to inquire from.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    #4 John B, Jan 16, 2016
  5. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Sounds like a good "for the time being" replacement. I would also recommend rebuilding O.E. motors, if for nothing else than to have ready if the 308 replacements fail and no longer available or the car is subjected to full concourse restoration in the future.

6. johngtc

johngtc Formula Junior
    Owner

Mar 4, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Gould
    I see there is a reference to the Ford windows in another posting on Tom Yang's site, so if all else fails.....

Let us know how you get on with replacement units as mine are intermittently playing up.

John

7. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I don't know if the GT uses the same motors as the GTC, but the 330 GT windows are actually quite speedy.

8. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    I'd imagine that any new window winder motor you can find from an Alfa parts supplier will fit, so long as the shaft is the same length. Other enthusiasts will know its not original, however, due to the snappy performance. The window will now wind up effortlessly, instead of the expected "WHHHIRRRRRRRRR..RRRR..RRR.....RRR....R.......R...........R....."

9. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #9 TTR, Jan 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
    I've found same to be the case with 365 GTB/4s, though most, including many "fully restored" examples I've seen don't seem to have ever been subjected to proper window lift system service, restoration or even reasonable adjustment/maintenance efforts.
    This, of course, is probably compounded by hap hazard efforts employed when the cars were originally built.
    I've found that to get 365 GTB/4 power windows working at their optimum, the efforts along with proper service of all motor, gear and cable drive components can also require comprehensive "metal surgery" (i.e re-aligning/-locating cable wheel brackets, re-fitting/-forming door window frames, etc.).

10. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    #10 John B, Jan 21, 2016
    I had a local guy service and adjust the window, he's done these before and was up to already speed. It now It now winds up and down better than ever. I'll keep the 308 motors as a backup plan. Incidentally, he also surprised me with this very nice window crank that he made, it works great! As I found it impossible to track a crank down, I told him there is probably demand for more. He said he could make up a batch. Send me a PM if you would like one.

11. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    While in the mechanical restoration of 9593 my shop recommended rewiring the power directly to the motor and using a window switch controlled relay to operate. I now have the fastest GTC windows on the planet :)

12. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Sorry, I'm not that knowledgeable on concourse car shows. I assume they don't pull off door panels to check things out, are you required to list things that are not visible that are not original?

13. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Although having heard of (Corvette or ??) judging procedures beyond just audible and visual observations, I myself have never seen interior panel or other mounted component removal required during any concours judging and don't expect it in near future either, at least in any FCA-IAC/PFA sanctioned events. I was merely suggesting to a (rather small ?) chance that one might run into to a judge who could be knowledgeable enough on all aspects of given model to pause and question the originality of a window motor or any number of other components just on its operational sound, especially if tie is to be broken. And if that judge is confident enough in his/her accessement, the purden of proof might fall on the entrant.

Above, of course, is quite hypothetical and extreme example, but on the other hand, could perhaps serve as basis for self-contemplation to any self-respecting vintage car enthusiast whether he/she deems it appropriate to submit a car to or better yet accept an award for it in a concours judging based on originality (i.e. FCA-IAC/PFA guide lines), knowing it contains questionable amount of hidden/undisclosed(?) non-original replacement components, especially if O.E. components are available and/or serviceable ?

Fortunately in OPs case, he found and sourced a knowledgeable (& better yet, local !) service provider capable of getting the O.E. equipment working correctly.

14. Colin Angell

Colin Angell Karting

Jun 17, 2004
    #14 Colin Angell, Jan 27, 2016
    HI,
    I thought I should post a picture of the emergency window winder from my old 365 GTC. I am fairly sure it is original and will certainly be much easier to use than the one shown earlier. These are quite easy to make and are very effective in practice.
    It says a lot about the confidence placed in the reliability of electric window motors that the company bothered with emergency handles in the first place but the mechanism, manufactured by Fispa, is really nicely made. You can see the little sprung loaded shuttle which is pushed down by the end of the winder to engage manual drive in the second photo.
    I know that some owners have lost the manual winders over the years and that quite a few re-trimmed door cards can be found without a hole punched through for the winder.

15. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    Perfect!
    Thanks Colin

16. jcavalie

jcavalie Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #16 jcavalie, Jan 27, 2016
    Here's what mine looks like ('66 330 GTC) - same as Colin's. Pretty sure it's an original piece. I know Patrick Ottis mentioned to me that he has a place in Berkeley that can make reproductions.

17. johngtc

johngtc Formula Junior
    Owner

Mar 4, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Gould
    Same as my '68 GTC and I am sure that is original.

18. Jumprun

Jumprun Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    T. Martinez
    Guys, thanks for the photos of the E handle, it's inspired me to make one for my car, do you know what the diameter of the rod is?

Tom in SoCal

19. johngtc

johngtc Formula Junior
    Owner

Mar 4, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Gould
    Regret the car is at the other end of the country now Tom, in hibernation for the winter!

20. jcavalie

jcavalie Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #20 jcavalie, Jan 28, 2016
    This should help you. I think the bar is 8mm. I don't have calipers so I measured out mine with a metric ruler. I had my car out for a drive this morning, so easy to grab this out of the trunk and measure it. Good luck!

21. Jumprun

Jumprun Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    T. Martinez
    Thanks Jim, well done, you have saved me and maybe others a lot of guessing.

Tom in SoCal.

22. Colin Angell

Colin Angell Karting

Jun 17, 2004
    #22 Colin Angell, Jan 29, 2016
    A few years ago my passenger window motor failed whilst my wife and I were on a driving holiday in Europe. Having a right hand drive car you can imagine what trouble I would have been in at toll booths etc if Sue had not been able to wind her window up and down easily and I was so glad that I had always kept the winder in my glove box.
    I wrote a little article about our trip for the owners club magazine and a few days later had a message from a fellow 365 GTC owner to say that he didn't have a winder for his car and what were they like. Anyhow I then set about making one for him, which I did from some 8mm diameter stainless steel rod. The original items were made in mild steel and plated, but it seemed so much easier to use stainless and save the extra expense for one item of plating. I made a little bending jig, which I have just dusted off and photographed so you can get the idea. I couldn't find the lever I made to pull the roller around the static pin and seem to think I may have used it for something else since.
    Obviously I could now go into mass production, but actually just had fun making one piece for a friend, who paid me back with a wonderful magnum bottle of red wine. A great swop. If you do decide to make one can I suggest that you should drill the cross hole before you bend the crank!