How many Boras currently for sale? | Page 20 | FerrariChat

How many Boras currently for sale?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by dadams73, Jan 6, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    And the "european" cars selling for that much are where?
    Oh that's right ... they don't exist.

AFAIK that's the highest asking price for a Bora.

Yes it is a gorgeous color combination and appears to have been well looked after.

As for originality ... I own one very close to that. I sincerely hope it's NOT completely original for some of the foibles that came with these cars. I expect that it has already been fixed in that regard. I doubt this car will ever get driven very much now anyway.

2. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    #477 boralogist, Jan 18, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

3. ignominus

ignominus Karting

Sep 6, 2013
    These are only the asking prices, not the actual sale prices. It is VERY easy to put a high price tag on a car: that just does not demonstrate anything. It is like screaming that you can run 100m in 8 sec. I can put a 250,000€ tag on my 4900 Indy, but that would not be realistic at the moment. Tomorrow's expectations are not today's prices.

Another phenomenon at this classic car fairs is that most sales take place among traders and that does not reflect the true market.

Moreover, this seller is known for consistently being way above the market.

That being said, I am a Bora fan and I think the potential is very high, but I think that prices are too much driven by car traders and that gives prices low visibility.

4. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    OK you got me ... someone else has jumped the shark for 10K more. :rolleyes: Now let's see if anyone can reel one in ...

As Clara Peller so famously asked years ago ... :D

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug75diEyiA0[/ame]

You gotta sale at those kind of numbers and after that a few more in the same range?

5. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005

6. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Then I refer you to here: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/144444688-post478.html

Public auction results are what all of us see uniformly.

I hope they do end up there because I'd love to cash out big when the time comes too.

I've seen it go way up and then crash before and for Boras it was with this very car too!

It's peak valuation back then was $120K I think? That's $223,453 in 2015 dollars. :eek:
    So $375K would mean a substantial increase in real value. Right now most asking and sales prices are just an inflation push. Of course very few paid that then crazy amount of $120K in 1990 for a Bora.

If the values are rising because of true enthusiasm for these wonderful (to some) and rare cars then that's great. If it's because of potential investment value not so good.

Oil is at $29 a barrel this morning and China looks like it's in a severe downturn. The stock market is dropping and we've had several big retailers (Macy's & Walmart) lay people off and close stores. So maybe I was a year early? If I really knew EXACTLY what was going to happen and when I'd be fabulously wealthy. Well guess what? :D I wish it were so ... :(

But with zero interest rates for years, a meteoric stock market and our nation's debt doubled in the last 7 years I think caution is not out of order.

7. am117au

am117au Karting

Apr 22, 2014
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg G
  8. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    1973 Maserati Bora Manual - $419,888 and they couldn't afford to redo the driver's seat at least? WTF?

If it were a Ferrari or Lamborghini at this price I'm certain that would have been taken care of.

I don't get it?

9. jojoh12

jojoh12 Rookie

Aug 16, 2014
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Johannes H
    Will be quite interesting to see what the two Boras up for auction in Paris next week will as results... the estimates are quite high I think.

10. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    $187.000 for the AM117/49*562 Bora - sold at Gooding Scottsdale.

For record purposes, this Bora needed a full repaint and major service. Oil leaks and carb leaks were prevalent. Original interior was very nice. I didn't get a good look at the underside.

11. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #486 staatsof, Feb 1, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
    Gosh you make it sound pretty bad so that's a very impressive amount in that case.

Stupid buyer?

Edit: I just had a look online. It looks pretty good to me in their catalog. Impossible to tell about the paint but truly original paint is typically full of flaws after this much time and mileage. I'm not sure what you mean by oil leaks and gas stains on the carbs? If one actually uses the car that's pretty normal. The valve covers looked fresh and nicely done if not original. The air cleaner looks nice but is missing some decals.

The black and red is gorgeous on that car. I'm sure that had an effect ...

12. dadams73

dadams73 Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2012
    Ocean City NJ
    Full Name:
    Dean
    I supplemented this description on the Scottsdale thread. Paint job was a "10 footer"

13. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Paint was not original; it was a bad respray. Pics often don't tell the story. Oil leaks were at the bottom end and gas leaking at carb gaskets, beyond normal.

14. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    OK so what's a major service to you then?

15. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    Astonishing comment!

Anybody who appreciates and purchases a Bora at market/below market prices MUST be stupid according to staasof!
    This gentleman's condition has now progressed into a chronic case of self loathing and beyond which may be of interest to medical professionals, but not to me.

Good luck with your treatment.

Regards.

16. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Not sure I follow your question; are you trying to discern if I know what a major service is or are you truly interested in what work I thought the car needed? I am no mechanic , but I own my share of mid engine 70s Italian "supercars" and have commissioned many major services, mechanical refurbishments, as well as full restorations and follow the work on my cars closely. I also inspected the engine on this car with my mechanic, who knows these cars very well. Your posts tend to have a bit of an edge to them, so I'm trying to understand where you're coming from.

17. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

Chris, pay no attention. Many of us know that you certainly know your knitting.

18. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks, Pete. I try to add constructively whenever I can, though others have their own agendas.

19. mamamia

mamamia Karting

Dec 14, 2010
    England
    Full Name:
    Henry Jameson
    Any idea what the chassis number is ?

20. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    You are so clueless. Go read the entire post again and think about it a bit more.
    The way he worded it made it sound like the the car needed plenty of mechanical work and a complete paint job. I'll take his word on the paint job because he was there and you can't judge paint from these photos. But if also needs a lot of mechanical work then yes that's a high price to pay.

Then I had a look at what is on the auction site and to me excepting the paint it looks like a pretty nice car. So that's why I asked what he meant by a major service.

21. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob

I don't have an agenda like Boraologist seems to.

I was honestly taken aback by your assessment after I went and had a look. Now obviously auction photos try to hide stuff so I'm curious to know what the serious issues other than the paint were with this car. I ask that because if it's going to need a lot of money poured into it in your and your mechanics opinion then I do find that to be a lot of money for the car which is actually encouraging for the model and the marque as well. It's pretty hard to discern that from your original terse comments. That's all.

I get why Boraologist is touchy as he's already convinced himself several years ago that these are $500K cars. I'm more sanguine about the prospects of that.

I was just seeking better info. I'm very familiar with this model too. I've done plenty of work on mine over the years.

So are the oil leaks terribly serious like an obvious main seal gone and numerous transaxle leaks? Are there hydraulic leaks .. etc.

Gasoline stains on the carbs aren't hard to fix and from what I could see the engine looked decent? But you guys were there.

22. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    You know ... you could have waited until I had a chance to reply and answer his question.

23. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    I'm following these threads, especially Bora's, always a fave - and playing peacemaker HERE ...all of you, Bob, Pete, Chris, others - you are all the shizzle around here, respected, keep it cool :)

24. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Bob, thanks for clarifying. That's part of the issue with auctions; it's so hard to tell. You have to assume that someone bringing a car to auction will present it in the best light possible, so when I see leaks like that, I assume it to be a major red flag. I would have budgeted pulling the engine since the mounts were worn, replacing all gaskets, external components as needed, potentially a partial rebuild and carb rebuild, etc. As you know, you really don't know how far you have to take it until you get into it. I've found that pictures tell only a very small part of the story. As far as value, If I had to ballpark it, I would estimate that one would be putting +/- $60-70K into the car: paint, suspension, brakes, steering, engine, possibly trans, mounts, bushings, hardware, etc. I think that would get you a very nice 2+ condition and sorted car. So if one is comfortable with that number all in, it sold for the right price. I hope that helps.

25. dadams73

dadams73 Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2012
    Ocean City NJ
    Full Name:
    Dean