Stop my drip....help please.... | FerrariChat

Stop my drip....help please....

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by lotusk, Jan 27, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lotusk

lotusk Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London UK
    I have a very small drip coming from the end of a silicone water hose on my 355....it's the hose that connects from the engine to the underside of the expansion tank....the drip is at the expansion tank connection...

It is a brand new Scuderia Rampante very high quality silicone hose and clamp.

The drip is very slight but after a run the next day i can see a few drops have escaped and dropped onto the throttle quadrant.

I have the clip about 1/2 inch from the end of the hose and tightened it down with a socket tight...the hose is slightly bulging just after where the clamp is situated...i did this whilst the engine was warm....this reduced the amount of leakage but i am still seeing a few drops...

Any tips to share that would stop the drip?
    I'm sure the pipe and its nipple are in good condition.

Shall I go in and tighten the clamp some more?..... Scared of deforming the pipe or should I not worry?

2. JohnnyS

JohnnyS F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    John
    Be very careful on how tight you make the clamp. The hose nipple can crimp and then it's deformed and will never stop leaking.

If you get really interested in looking at it. Pull the hose and inspect the hose end and nipple for scratches or cracks. It could be a simple defect in the nipple when produced, but would then require a repair or new expansion tank. If all looks good, get some high temp silicone sealant and put a little on the nipple and clamp up the hose. Let it cure for 24 hrs and fill with fluid. That's kind of a redneck way of stopping the leak, but it's worked for me on an old Ford.

3. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    I would send a PM to Dave Helms @ Scuderia Rampante. I'm quite sure he has some guidance at hand for you.

Cheers,

Hank

4. lotusk

lotusk Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London UK
  5. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    thats a good idea

6. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    Silicone hoses don't compress like stock hoses. I use two clamps everywhere.

7. lotusk

lotusk Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London UK

Interesting
    Thanks

8. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Old school, but on the race cars we use a seler as well as 2 clamps for Endurance cars.

On street cars, I still tend to use a little aviation gasket sealer around the tube, helps seal.

9. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    I have wondered about doing this. What happens when you remove a hose? How do you remove the sealer from the inside of the hose and the outside of the tube without damaging either?

10. Mr. V

Mr. V Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    What brand of sealer?

Would good old RTV work?

11. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    If I may comment, and a bit off topics there are two types of curing agent in RTV one is citric acid. The other smells like tooth paste and is non corrosive.
    Reading this I would say the clamp is resting on the nipple of the tube, as has been suggested try repositioning the clamp more towards the end of the hose.

12. Carlo_C

Carlo_C Rookie

Mar 12, 2015
    +1

13. Hocakes

Hocakes Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2010
    FL
    Pretty sure you mean acetic acid. Hence the vinegar smell.

14. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Make sure you also look carefully at the exterior surfaces of the nipple (spout) on the tank. It does not take too much of a scratch, dent, distortion, or spot of corrosion to interfere with the hose's ability to make a good seal.

15. lotusk

lotusk Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London UK

Ok

Will do

16. DesertDawg

DesertDawg Eight Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 25, 2010
    The Desert
    Full Name:
    DesertDawg
    A dose of penicillin usually does the trick.

Oh, wait...

:D:D:D

17. Mark 328

Mark 328 Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    Orange, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark Foley
    That Permatex Aviation sealant has been used successfully for many years and it works great to fill minor imperfections on a nipple, however I have no experience with using it on silicone hoses. I have not had the best of luck with silicone hoses; especially small ones; the big ones on coolant hoses-- no problem, but my preference is neoprene for the small diameter hoses.