In Praise of the 360 Modena | FerrariChat

In Praise of the 360 Modena

Discussion in '360/430' started by Bulldozer27, Feb 2, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bulldozer27

Bulldozer27 Karting

Jan 29, 2005
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    #1 Bulldozer27, Feb 2, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
    Given the insanity regarding collector car values of late, it's understandable that the 360/430 forum is rife with "market value" threads (specifically for 3-pedal cars), and this is a nice byproduct of our economic expansion, as weak as it may be, fundamentally speaking.

But I'm here merely to post about the joy of owning a 360, which is the reason I bought one to begin with.

I acquired mine just over two years ago as a pristine example with a mere 11K miles on the odometer. It is now a slightly less-than-pristine example with 23K miles. Apologies if this sounds cheesy, but I wouldn't trade those 12,000 miles of driving enjoyment and inspirational qualities for any amount of money. I can still remember the feeling that I had for the first month of ownership, when I had to remind myself every day that I owned a Red Car, as it was all too surreal at the time. In those two years of ownership, I have come to the realization that, even if I buy another Ferrari (and I'm in a much better financial position now as opposed to two years ago), that euphoric feeling won't be the same as when I bought the 360. EVEN if I were to buy a something like a BB512, for example, which was my dream car as a teenager in the '80s.

I'm going to stick my neck out and say with a high degree of confidence that the 360 Modena is THE car that birthed the modern Supercar movement. Think about it. What existed prior to the unveiling of the 360 in 1999? The Lamborgini Diablo? The Porsche Turbo? Yes, the F355 (another car I love) started Ferrari back on the road to recovery from the company's early '90s malaise, but the 360 was the car that arguably set the bar. Aside from the Pagani Zonda in the same year, the Murcielago, Gallardo, Koenigsegg, etc all followed the blueprint and (to some degree) design cues set forth by the 360. Ford even stated explicitly that they used the 360 to benchmark the Ford GT, with a 360 on-site at the unveiling at Laguna Seca for comparison.

Every time I have the chance to drive mine, the sensory experience is intoxicating. The smell of Italian leather. The sound of the air intake with the driver-side window down. The analog feeling of the car with the ASR switched off. These all remind me of and reinforce my belief in why I own this car, and maybe always will.

I'll end by posting a video of me driving mine as intended, which is to say enthusiastically. Apologies for the wind noise, but it was my very first video with a GoPro, and I found out later that I had the wrong casing on the camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B06qeKFJj-o

2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    the 360 is aging gracefully without a doubt - enjoy every minute of it!

3. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Some good points in your post OP. I am blown away every time I see mine in the garage or get to go out for a spin. Your video made me miss California very much!

4. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    #4 Ron328, Feb 2, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Okay, it's a little weird that your "Location" is listed as Sandy Eggo ... because I don't feel a thing. lol.

That was quite a piece of driving; looks like you were pushing it pretty hard. Glad a boulder didn't jump out at you.

I could get behind the 360 being the start of the modern super sports car (V8) but I think the true supercars are of the V12 variety. I don't mean to split hairs. It's a great car and that's why I had to own one too.

6. Formula1r

Formula1r Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    The shape is ageless

7. kn1ghtley

kn1ghtley Karting

Nov 30, 2013
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Brent
    Nice driving!

8. dreichman

dreichman Formula Junior

Sep 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Great video, great road. Well done! 👍🏻

9. jpk

jpk Formula Junior

A few years ago there were a lot of 360 haters on this forum. Talking about how values would plummet to below that of F355 or 348. How the car would age horribly and not be well regarded. So much for those predictions.

I agree, the 360 has all the right supercar proportions in a timeless shapely design. An incredible, classic looking, curvy shape, the now iconic visible mid-engine behind glass look, a high level of reliability and a fantastic driving experience. I disagree that it started the modern supercar movement. Earlier Ferraris and Lamborghinis get that nod. What the 360 did do is set the benchmark for modern supercar designs and re-established Ferrari as the clear leader and innovator in sports cars.

10. car doctor

car doctor Karting

Dec 28, 2013
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike W
    Well said, totally agree!

11. THINKFAST

THINKFAST Karting

Jan 13, 2011
    Earth, mostly ...
    I too agree.. Those predictions made me laugh .. Well said jpk!

12. Gated

Gated Formula 3

Dec 21, 2009
    Great post and great vid! Great driving too! (proper hand position;-)

I'd love to see that first slide in real time as opposed to slow mo.

I didn't love the 360 when it came out but now it just looks so pretty, so timeless. Elegantly simple. It will continue to age very well and it's a car that has one foot firmly in the modern world (aluminum chassis, electronic stability program, adjustable shocks) but manages to give the feeling of a classic (sound, feedback, smell).

I too am in a position to buy a new Ferrari but I just can't bring myself to do it...why would I? Will it be more fun? Are they better looking? I'm not too worried about what people at the local Ritz think so...

13. Bulldozer27

Bulldozer27 Karting

Jan 29, 2005
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    While my choice of words was poor, this is the exact sentiment that I wanted to convey, that the 360 set the BENCHMARK for modern supercars. Thanks for clarifying for me :)

14. DiabloTerr

DiabloTerr Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2010
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Terrance Findley
    I agree, however the asking prices of the 355 are mostly well over 100k now and 348 is creeping into the low 70k and hovering in the 60's. However asking and selling prices are to different animals sometimes....

15. shad99

shad99 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Japatul Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Nice vid. We live out there and drive those roads all the time. In fact, you can't get to anywhere without driving them. The day after delivery of our 360 a couple of years ago, I set out for a drive. The very first car I encountered was a rosso corsa Modena coming the other direction. I remember thinking "Are you kidding me?" Happily he was in his own lane and we exchanged waves/flashes and were on our way.

And I agree with the comments on the 360. I think the car is beautiful and timeless. Can't get enough of it.

Cheers, Andy

16. cfensty

cfensty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 1, 2008
    South Carolina
    Give them a chance to dip like all of the 3s (308, 328, 348 & 355) did before they started to climb. Hell it was only 6 or 7 years ago that I bought one of the very few 1985 308QV euros in Nero black metallic in the US in the $20s. If kept up that car would fetch close to six figures today. Wait until the good ones get more and more rare (happening already) and barring a global economic meltdown, which is entirely possible, these will rise as well.

17. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    #17 ferralc, Feb 3, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
    Nice video, totally agree that is the proper hand grip because that really helps to correct while drifting BUT in those California roads sometimes the curves are very tight and you end up locked and praying it will be sufficient, but it seems you know the road very well so you can adjust the grip accordingly before the turn.
    I know the manual car is really nice but trust me in those twisted roads the F1 is so much more fun, when you approach a turn and you downshift ONCE, TWICE while braking and the rev matching NOISE!!! you think you are a F1 driver.
    The 360 is a BEAUTIFUL car, and the best bang for your buck Ferrari.
    By the way I am amazed that no hater has complained and gave a lecture about driving like that in public roads or to save that kind of driving for the track, GOOD!!

18. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Just awesome!

19. freaky1

freaky1 Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 10, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Totally agree, that's when the F1 is in its element !

20. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Hey Bulldozer and Rick (Sandy Eggo)
    Same thing to you Craig (cgfen)
    Let's get together for a drive, I have gone with the "Just drive" group a couple of times and it is really fun but it would be really nice to have the 4 360s

21. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Rick I agree, first super car V12 (Miura)
    But first modern super car it could be a V8 (F40) or a flat 6 (959)