Testarossa Window Sweep needed | FerrariChat

Testarossa Window Sweep needed

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by UIUC, Jan 22, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. UIUC

UIUC Karting

Jun 12, 2006
    Roswell, Ga
    Full Name:
    Wyatt P Schupbach
    Does anyone have or know where I can get an early TR Right side (US Passenger) window Sweep? This is the rubber seal running lengthwise at the bottom of the passenger side window. The TR was parked below my 4-post lift and the cylinder n the lift leaked oil on the window, which dripped onto the seal/sweep and ruined it. Now, if I get caught in or drive in the rain the inside of the door gets wet.

I called quite a few places last year, to no avail. My local Ferrari dealer informed me the part had been superseded and after several weeks of searching they found me a compatible substitute at another dealer. It wasn't compatible. So now back to square one. - Thanks for any insights.

2. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Wyatt, parts are definitely getting harder to come by and this one had no less than four changes through production! By your description it sounds like you are needing PN 61502400 "right gasket", which was correct for early cars. Then at some (unknown) point it changed to PN 61539400. It again changed to PN 61543700 (valid for cars up to car no. 78847), then a 4th time to PN 61573600 from car no. 78848 to the end of production.

I have no idea what the differences were without comparing side by side, but I suspect at least one gasket redesign (61539400 or 61543700) came when the RH mirrors were installed--perhaps the window frame changed with the mirror and or removal of the 1/4 glass to adapt the mirror.

So for your original gasket, did the oil cause the gasket to deform and not fit tight against the window? Or did it rot or tear? If deformed you may be able to bond a semi-rigid strip on the inside to re-form it--use teflon, plastic etc. so it wouldn't scrape the window.

For your new (non) "compatible substitute"--what is the PN, and why does it not fit? Does the new gasket have a "bend" molded into it where it goes around the vertical window frame? If you can post some photos it would definitely help. Are you comparing by holding up or have you removed the moulding and tried to fit the gasket?

My (1988.5) configuration is different than early cars--it's three pieces: (1) the outer black aluminum moulding, (2) the gasket, and (3) a plastic "run channel" that the gasket slides into--then the channel & gasket slides into the frame. The early cars did not use this run channel so since all three earlier PNs superceeded to the last you probably have a "channel" gasket for a "non-channel" moulding. If so you may be able to order a channel, install the gasket and try to adapt both to your early moulding. I don't think a late moulding/channel/gasket would be a direct replacement for your car since the moulding also changed when gasket 61539400 started (and never changed again).

Here's what I think the correlation is (based on SPCs 339/85, 366/85 and 587/90):

Gasket______________Channel__________Moulding
    61502400____________N/A_____________61502600
    61539400____________N/A_____________61539300
    61543700____________61543500?_______61539300
    61573600____________61543500________61539300

You might try FerrParts for a used gasket and or channel, I know they have several TRs for breaking, I got a used passenger glass from them last year.

Please try to post photos so we have a better idea what happened, others will probably have some ideas as well.

3. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Hi Wyatt, would you be so kind to show us lots of photos of your repair please ?

It may help other members here in future ...

4. UIUC

UIUC Karting

Jun 12, 2006
    Roswell, Ga
    Full Name:
    Wyatt P Schupbach
    #4 UIUC, Feb 5, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Sorry I'm so slow on the response here. The rubber portion lost it's elasticity and became wavy. See attached pictures. Including some of the incorrect sweep.

My mechanic pulled the old sweep out and was ready to install the replacement but - it wasn't compatible.

Hopefully, it's not attached to a door I need to buy to get it:) Tim thanks for the Part #'s. I'll start making some calls again.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. UIUC

UIUC Karting

Jun 12, 2006
    Roswell, Ga
    Full Name:
    Wyatt P Schupbach
    #5 UIUC, Feb 5, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017