GTC4Lusso | Page 8 | FerrariChat

GTC4Lusso

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by deltona, Feb 8, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    #176 Brian L, Feb 8, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
    (yea, we agree ... it's dated looking already, less unique, less timeless, less Italian. More trying to-be-macho, less balanced without the feminine lines. The rear little vents gone, the rear curve under the lights gone, the rear end more square, the door pulls that sweep the rear fender line ... gone. The back end looks like the marketing department had a say. The front is all grill, the Mustang side vents are not unique. There is no good reason to have 4 rear lights or the overhang ... it's all going back in time. The interior lines and the dash don't mesh. It's overtly male and a confused design that screams marketing department inside and out. Happy that we are in the minority opinion to some degree ... Ferrari has been reading this forum if the color choice is any indicator ... maybe they will see 15 pages here in a week and keep the price up on this new model. There is no mention of that and they are maybe testing the waters pre release.)

Um, sorry ... It's a beautiful car, inside and out, I'd pay $420,000 for that flagship monster!

2. ChalStrad

ChalStrad Formula 3

Jan 22, 2004
    Lausanne Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Mann
    Everyone talks about the last NA V12...it is NOT. There will be another one and given the evolutionary lifespan of an engine, there is every chance that a version of it will find its way into the next 2+2

3. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    The FF looks like the more aggressive "Speciale"-version of the GTC4. I dare to say, in 20 years, one will think the FF is the successor of GTC4 (apart from the interior). However, I still like the unusual shooting-brake design.

4. vaderinc

vaderinc Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2010
    Dubai, UAE
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Are the manettino switch settings the same as the FF? I can't tell from the pics.

5. FFantastic

FFantastic Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    UK Riviera
    News report.........FF prices set to rise as the last of Pinins masterpieces ceases production later in the year.
    With the GTC4 Lusso borrowing styling from the Bangel and Co era plus using dated back catalogue rear end detail for lighting under 1980s square shouder Testarossa haunches the new car lacks the fluid subtle elegance of the understated FF which will now be seen as a collectors target given the provenance.

Those lucky few who bagged the last of an era should applaud themselves for their foresight.

6. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    A few quick observations:

• What happened to the months (actually years) of discussions about puny turbo engines and green this and green that? This is the big story here. Ferrari is still about the engine.
    • Why do folks want the market value of the existing design to crater when an update is launched? I don’t own a 458 or an FF but jumping to the keyboard and demanding prices fall off a cliff is disturbing to see each time.
    • Rehashing the 4WS is a surprise to me and seems to take away some of the specialness from the tdf. IMO should have saved it for LEs. Hard to believe that whole oversteer story now.
    • The in-house design team has not disappointed my expectations if you get my meaning
    • It will look much better in person as all Ferraris do
    • 10.25 inch monitor? As if the point 25 is better than a point 0 (Telsa is like 1200.25 - who cares). Different market but hope they don’t take this approach with the extreme sports cars. I can watch TV at home thank you.
    • Should serve the 4 seat performance market well in a mass production German kind of way
    • ABCDEFGTC4Lusso-XYZ!!
    • The car should actually be exhilarating to drive with that engine and running gear
    • On another note, Puppymonkeybaby is disturbing but knows its cars

If this one stirs your heart than don’t listen to fools on the internet. Your opinion is what counts and enjoy your new Ferrari!

7. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    That is very cool...

8. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
  9. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    Looks like all the controversial design features of the FF have been addressed... some think the did that in a too easy, mainstream way, some think it's just perfect. I'm in the middle but mostly positive about it.

Pretty shocked by the return of quad tail lights, I didn't see this coming so soon.

An then the name. Enough has been said. Too long and patchy, relies inadequately on historic monikers... another miss!

10. rblissjr

rblissjr Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2009
    Westlake Village, Ca
    Full Name:
    Robert Bliss
  11. Murcielago_Boy

Murcielago_Boy Formula Junior

May 27, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    The Dark Lord
    Take the Ferrari badge off and what have you got? I'm deeply unimpressed.
    It looks like a 1990's Toyota.
    The rear end is just plain horrible.

I remember the beautiful elegance of the 456GT on release and this has NONE of it. NONE.

12. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
    I must have missed a model or two in the Toyota line up from the 90s;)

13. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    and it reminds you of what 90's Toyota exactly? And whats so 'plain horrible' about the rear end? Just curious.

14. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Fantasy

15. montpellier

montpellier Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2009
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #192 montpellier, Feb 9, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    For those questioning the rear of the GTC4 , here is the Lambo Urus. It seems current design language is very much more angular. Of course some may prefer a different approach, but more and more this is direction of the market. It will turn a full circle one day as it always does of course.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Yea, because the rear end of the Lambo SUV makes a great case for the GTC4Lusso's unique lines and post PF excellence. wink, wink

17. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Ferrari continues to be given a pass on the USA Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) numbers so more V12 models are coming. In return Ferrari continues to chip away at reducing the CO2 emissions from fuel combustion. To further this goal they will again be reducing future motor displacement...

18. Jasone

Jasone Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 15, 2011
    Tampa Florida
    Full Name:
    Jasone
    Well said. Especially regarding the market. Visit the 458 forum and you'd think 458s have been free for the last two years..

19. ChalStrad

ChalStrad Formula 3

Jan 22, 2004
    Lausanne Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Mann

20. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    And all recent Ferraris look way better in the flesh than that ever do in the renderings, so this one must stunning in real life, given how good it already looks in the renderings.

21. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1

Looks like it's an overwhelming victory in the ''likes'' camp. In the whole thread, maybe 5 people not liking it?

22. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Very interesting. So even though they are looking at turbo, hybrid etc, the next gen will still be n/a??

23. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Agreed.

All I can say for sure as a fan of the NA motors is this is welcome information and I hope the test of time bears it true. We all agree the NA V12 is the heart of the company.

I think when Mr. Peter Mann speaks we all listen. Yet, we've heard the behind the scenes rumblings of turbo/hybrid. Perhaps the reality is they investigate multiple different options at the same time as would be prudent. Maybe they will keep the NA V12 for as long as possible and perhaps some technical innovation comes along- such as much improved batteries- that allow them some option that today seems difficult to accept.

Great post. Some thoughts:
    Agreed! As it should be! I can tell you I heard a lot of grumblings about this. I think there will come a time when they have to do something but perhaps the idea is as I said above to hold out for batteries to get better so they can provide zero emissions for city driving and keep the V12. Its a good idea if the issues of weight, complexity and cost can be sorted.

For those of us who have the passion, these are very emotional discussions and I think many just want to be proven right. If they didn't like the car in the first place then now they can say: see, the replacement is superior and all of you who bought it were wrong and now the marketplace will prove this correct. I agree with you its a kind of hopeful schadenfreude. My observation is this is something that can affect almost anyone so we all have to look out for it.

I can understand where you are coming from, but I disagree. I think the LE cars are special for many reasons and not just one or two technical highlights. First off, we don't know exactly to what end they are deploying the 4WS on the new GTC4. The system comes from ZF. In the default application the system allows for counter steer at low speeds for increased manueverability and parallel steer at above parking lot speeds for increased stability. In the F12tdf, Ferrari made their own control system/software to help counter the propensity of their front/mid engine, RWD V12 monster :) to oversteer. Perhaps here they will use it to help make the GTC4 easier to live with and maneuver. One of the things I didn't like about my FF is I never felt it truly shrunk around me as I drove it, it always felt big to me. They might be using the 4WS for this purpose. I surely hope it is for that. Also consider, you could say the LE cars have many common parts to the series production cars so maybe they shouldn't be so special- yet talk to anyone who has driven any of the LE cars and they will tell you while the standard car is excellent, the LE one is even better and more special. Ferrari has the "special sauce" recipe down. I have no doubt both the F12tdf and the GTC4 will be calibrated just right for their intended markets.

It seems to me you didn't expect much? For my part, I think the FDC has overall done a good job. I too lament the loss of PF because I think its one of those quirks that makes Ferrari special- but life moves forward and Ferrari has made the decision. My own 2 cents are I think the GTC4 is a big improvement. To my eyes I never cared for the smiley grill and I felt the headlights were a bit too large and a bit "droopy dog" looking. The top of the windshield was a bit too rounded, the hood looked a bit too long, the sides were a bit too slab sided and the whole car was just a little bit not sleek enough, and the rear was just not resolved (all criticisms are just mine alone). So how do they make the transformation to something pleasing for those who didn't like it before while still retaining probably all the hard points? Visual tweaks is the answer. It seems to me they did a trick with the front grill where it actually now sticks out more, the front bumper is a little bit more pulled back and tailored. It also isn't so smiley and to my eyes recalls what they were doing on the F60 America grill, but here I like it even better. I'm not sure how they make the hood look less long to my eyes but again, its tailoring some of the lines I think really helps. The side view of the car has similar character lines to the F60 America as well. These help make it look more defined and less slab looking. I think the size and placement of the side gill also helps but I'm not sure I love it yet. The tailoring of the rear window by giving it a steeper angle and also some of the sheet metal tailoring really help the side and rear view. And the rear may not be truly a thing of beauty, its now better resolved. That big line across the rear above the lights gives it a very broad stance that says muscular car. The rear from straight on just begins to look a tiny tiny tiny bit "Audi" to my eyes. I don't think thats such a bad thing. The new car just looks more sleek, more purposeful, more potential energy awaiting its driver to turn it into forward motion than the outgoing car.

Absolutely- its hard to judge a 3 dimensional object on a 2 dimensional screen. YET- one request for Ferrari is please make the press pics a bit more real world with real world ride height.

I agree with your watching TV comment but I think they did the right thing for a few reasons. First many people with these will put their kids in the car and kids now days expect to see screens. When my kids sit in my F40 which lacks screens of any kind their mouths drop to the ground in utter amazement that there are no screens! How could you drive a car with no screens! I tell them the only "screen" that's important is the windscreen! Second, my criticism of the display layout they use for the 458/488/F12/FF was this leaves the passenger little to do or look at aside from what the driver is doing! The passenger display is a neat idea but in real life it just lets your wife see exactly how much over the speed limit her husband is driving. I think they should have allowed for it to also display NAV and stereo info so the passenger could see how long till destination etc. This new layout in the GTC4 will allow for that and I note the new passenger display looks much improved and I see a G-Force meter on it--- great, now she can prove I am a maniac! Also I think the FF was kind of lacking when compared to the other cars out there interns of electronic systems and "doo dads" - It looks to me they are closing the gap with the new car.

Not sure what you mean here. I don't think this will ever be a BMW X6M. Or E63AMG Estate or Panamera Turbos. This is still very much a Ferrari and seems to me it has many of the things that make Ferrari so characterful: the NAV12, now to my eyes the sleek design, the gorgeous interior, of course the history and mystique and the price to match. The other guys all have to adhere to a price point to some degree.

My preference would have been to just call it the GTC4. FF is an OK name. GTC4 I think is a little better just for history sake. I don't like that they've used Lusso as I think thats supposed to be for a 2 seater but I get it as they want to connote luxury here. One of the interesting things about Ferrari is they may hold to a naming scheme for a period of time, but then they just go and change it.

Oh no doubt there! I can't wait to learn more about it!

I'm disturbed greatly by this!

+1 !