F355 spider remote control for top | FerrariChat

F355 spider remote control for top

Discussion in '348/355' started by eyboro, Jul 10, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. eyboro

eyboro Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2004
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Eitan
    Has anybody ever heard of a remote control operation for the F355 convertible top? I think that it will be very handy, for all of you out there over 6' tall, for operating the convertible top outside the car. It seems like it would be as simple as a garage opener receiver and remote.

If there is any electrical engineers out there who can work something out please let me know. I'm doing research my self I found a company in Germany that makes it for the 360/430 spiders but they are very expansive at $600. I contacted them and they have yet to return my call.

2. tactical

tactical Guest

Jan 23, 2008
    The whole roof locking mechanism would need redesigning. This because the 430/360 roof is locked to the header rail via electronically controlled hooks. Were as the 355 roof is locked to the header rail manually turning the centre hand leaver 180degrees to locate the larger hooks.

3. jm348

jm348 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 21, 2007
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff M
    +1.....impossible? :eek:

4. eyboro

eyboro Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2004
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Eitan
    My idea is: You sit in the car you manually turn the leaver latch just like before, then you get out and you press your remote to open the top. You would have to get out anyway installing the boot in place so you are not wasting any time. For closing you would do the reverse. I think its simple engineering.

You don't have to redesign the top mechanism at all. Everything stays the same.
    This company, http://www.autodirectsave.com/Remote-Control-Wireless-Switch-4-Channel-P356.aspx, sells just an on/off 12v remote. My idea is a remote that works like a garage door opener or a toy car remote where you press 1 button continuously till the top goes up or down.

5. eyboro

eyboro Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2004
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Eitan
  6. tactical

tactical Guest

Jan 23, 2008
    #6 tactical, Jul 10, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
    Doh!!!! Its even more simpler just to push the purpose built in button ;)while you are sitting in the car straight after you have undone the leaver latch. Why get out the car to do EXACTLY the same thing but with another button?? Or are you winding us up:D:D come on admit it;)...you are arnt you:D

7. eyboro

eyboro Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2004
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Eitan
    It is simpler if you are 5'9" or shorter. But for taller guys it's not that simple.

8. Loser

Loser Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2008
    Gilroy, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    This looks interesting. My top isn't working right now though due to bad potentiometers and a problem with the seat/top control ECU. Maybe when I start working on fixing my issues, I will look into designing this type of circuit as well.
    Bypassing the switch with this type of control box should be relatively simple. Ricambi has wiring diagrams for the connections on their site. http://www.ricambiamerica.com/wsm/35...WSM_3index.htm (page 64). If you want the console switch and the remote to both work, then you will probably have a more complex circuit design. Maybe it could be done with some basic digital logic chips that control power FETs to apply the 12V to the ECU. Then maybe you could find a keychain remote to control the top. Just some thoughts.

9. eyboro

eyboro Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2004
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Eitan
    My idea is not bypassing the switch but duplicating the swich to a remote control switch. I found a unit on ebay that looks like what i'm talking about take a look and let me know if this would work. It sounds like you know what I'm talking about. http://cgi.ebay.com/12V-DC-motor-bidirectional-remote-control-switcher-MCR1_W0QQitemZ150266958893QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item150266958893

10. Loser

Loser Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2008
    Gilroy, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    It looks like it should work. I would need to see a circuit diagram though. It implies that it remotely switches relays with a 40A capacity. I assume it means that the relays are directly connecting the 12V battery voltage to the output wires, although the wires do not look large enough to carry 40A. That shouldn't matter though. I'm not sure what the "top control" ECU requires as far as current, but it seems that it uses 12V to send a signal to a Motorola PLCC on the ECU board. This would mean that it doesn't require very much current, so this remote controller should work.
    So how do you plan on keeping the console switch working? If you wire the remote switch in parallel with the console switch, then you would have an issue if you accidentally pushed the console switch one way, and the remote switch the other way.

11. eyboro

eyboro Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2004
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Eitan
    I would put a warning sign sticker not to use remote switch and console switch at the same time. I would assume that if you accidently push both switches at the same time you will pop a fuse either on the console or the remote relay.

12. Loser

Loser Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2008
    Gilroy, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
  13. lmunz22

lmunz22 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    But if you are already in the car to turn the lever.....

14. jm348

jm348 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 21, 2007
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff M
    +1.....or you could simply get in, undo the latch, get out and press your "remote", get back in an adjust your seat back, get out and install your tourneo cover, get back in and check your mirrors, get out and double check your brake lights are working, get in and turn on the radio, get out and change radio stations with your other "remote", get back in to adjust the volume while sitting, get out to make sure it is not too loud for the neighbors, get back in and start the car, get out to check exhaust temp, get in to warm it up, get out and check tire inflation, get in and test clutch, get out and use your other "remote" to blast youself into outer space....:D :D :D

15. X11OUD

X11OUD Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2008
    Manchester, England
    Full Name:
    Neil
    What I think you require is a Clifford Programmable Garage Door Receiver for the control side, this is available from any Car Audio dealer who installs Clifford Alarms, it comes with two remote Keyfobs and the unit has three remote outputs which can be configured in many ways, all of which are described in the instructions.

If you install the wiring and configure it to a non latched output you will simply hold down the button for the required amount of time, it can be timed but i would not go down this route due to safety issues and hood obstructions.

The other out puts can be connected to any other electrics in the car such as the driving lights so you can illuminate the ground in the front of the car like the new Mercs and BM's to "aid your passage to your house in the dark"

I have also hard wired a factory remote to one of these units and then mounted the factory remote in a secure position in the car so that the Clifford remote then controls the factory remote, argue amongst yourselves whether this is a good thing or not but the Clifford remote has far more advanced technology than the remote that came with your beloved.

16. eyboro

eyboro Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2004
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Eitan
    I have successfully installed a remote for penning and closing the top. I will post a link to YouTube soon. This will solve all the problems for all those long legged guys out there (and all those sceptics on this thread) frustrated with the factory switch. You don't need to be in the car while the chairs are moving all the way forward while the top is opening or closing.

This remote works better. You press the top button once and it acts just like the switch on the console except you don't have to keep pressing it till the top goes all the way down. Same with bottom button you press once and the chairs moves forward and the top closes. Exactly like the console switch but again you press remote button only once. The process takes about 20 seconds.

If anybody is interested in the Chicago area, Call: Lirim at Car Boutique 847-310-1777. He was my installer and he is very impressed with the remote I supplied him with. It took him about an hour and half to install but I'm sure it will be less time on the next F355 Ferrari or any power convertible car out there.

17. eyboro

eyboro Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2004
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Eitan
  18. tactical

tactical Guest

Jan 23, 2008
    May i be the first to congratulate you bud.:DI think you have done a sterling job on that mate. Looks well engineered, works well and a great pose. Can the standard console switch still be used at all? Any ways fantastic job mate:D
    BUT for the life of me i cant see why you cant sit in the car and press the button on the console. I know you say you are over 5ft 9, but how tall are you?? I my self am 6ft and i know quite a few 355 spider drivers are as well and all manage with out any problems what so ever. There was one guy who also had one called Gordon who was 6ft 4!! He was a large framed guy, a good guy as well by the way;)
    Is it the fact that you are tall with a large frame/waist and find it tight in there? It just seems very fussy to sit in the car and undo the top latch, then get out and drop the roof via remote control. And to close it, get out the car to close it via remote and then get back in and latch back the roof.
    I am not in any way knocking what you have done because i think its a genuine marvelous thing you have done. I am just trying to understand the logic behind this method.:)

19. eyboro

eyboro Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2004
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Eitan
    The console switch works as well. The remote works much faster then pressing the console switch. You only press the remote button once for penning and once for closing. You have to be outside your car for snapping the boot on anyway; same when you close you need to be outside to unsnap the boot, so you are actually saving a couple minutes by using the remote. There was allot of complaints regarding the issue of the chairs moving forward while you are in the car, I'm sure that if you are over 6' you would be hitting your steering wheel or side console while opening or closing top.

20. tactical

tactical Guest

Jan 23, 2008
    But.....no you dont. As a 6 ft owner and another mate of mine who is a little taller and also owns a spider, there is no problem. Thats why i am asking how tall are you?

21. eyboro

eyboro Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2004
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Eitan
    I'm 5'10". I drive my car only when it's sunny so the top goes down allot. It is much more convenient to use the remote.

22. tactical

tactical Guest

Jan 23, 2008
    I really cant see how this is more convenient:( So you have developed this conversion for people who are taller than you by at least 8 inches then;) Mmm dont know if there will be many takers personally, but this may be your golden egg one never knows:D.
    Like i said great feat of engineering though, but i will just press the button i think;)

23. Terry

Terry Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Cheshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Terry
    Hi, great idea and your Youtube video makes the operation very convenient.

I am interested in this remote control installation. What remote was used in the end and do you by chance have any details of the installation in the car i.e. remote receiver and wiring connections?

Many thanks.

24. jochem00

jochem00 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2014
    Netherlands
    a tall person in a F355 with the roof doesn't look particularly smart either. better to leave the roof closed all the time.

25. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    You may want to send the OP a PM, that thread is from 2008.