Official book collectors thread | Page 79 | FerrariChat

Official book collectors thread

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by lil squid, Jun 9, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Montona, Italy, now part of Croatia.

2. Ferri

Ferri Formula Junior

Dec 26, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hugo Garritsen
  3. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Came across huge (probably weighs 8 lbs.) book on AMG, this one in German, highlighting
    45 different models of AMG. Oddly only a couple pictures of each model, many of them
    rare never brought to US. It's called "45". It's too heavy to mail anywhere
    but I will hand deliver it to anybody in Los Angeles area who wants to buy it for same price as Amazon charges.

4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #1954 Gatorrari, Feb 9, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Haynes is at it again; having done "Owners' Workshop Manuals" (which are really more properly "Enthusiasts' Manuals") on the Porsche 917 and McLaren M23, it's about time that Ferrari got equal time! And it's going to happen.

In August and September they will be doing similar books on the Ferrari 512S & M and on the entire 312 T series.

(I wondered what the "312 T6" was until I realized they were talking about the experimental six-wheeled version of the T2!)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    I have it and find it rather disappointing. And the layout is from the 1980s.

Also bought recently:
    Maurice Louche's second Edition "Emotion Ferrari", GT Sport & Prototype 1949-1972. Sadly, this time without any chassis numbers and poorer print quality. I paid Euro 95 for a copy. Two versions exist, one with and one without dust cover.

Marcel Massini

6. Sempre_gilles

Sempre_gilles Formula 3

Jul 11, 2003
    Full Name:
    AdK
    Marcel, may I ask why you are disappointed, is it because of the content (e.g. not enough details, or all info can be found already elsewhere) or the layour (e.g. poor quality of pictures)?

Since I am considering buying the new 8 cylinder book I had a close look at the 4 cylinder book which I already have in my library, and found the latter quite lacking in both content and layout. It seems all close but just not there entirely...

7. Lowell

Lowell Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 17, 2005
    Santa Fe, NM
    Full Name:
    Lowell Brown
    This was about the eight cylinder book

New book: Ferrari Gli Otto Cilindri 1954-1965 - Francesco Scaletti - Mito Rosso

I liked Scaletti's four cylinder book a lot when I first read it. Recently, I
    looked at it about the first race of the 500 Mondials. Several sites
    on the internet had it wrong. He had it right.

(I have a fondness for 1980 book layouts.)

Marcel, do you find that the new book just does not have enough
    information or little new infromation?

8. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Lack of fresh information, Quality of pix, poor layout.
    Author Francesco Scaletti is an engineer from Rome that works for F Classiche in Maranello, his boss is Marco Arrighi.
    I would have expected more precise details and deeper information, plus numbers, numbers, numbers.
    I bought it anyway, I had to have it as there was a gap on the shelf to be filled.

Marcel Massini

9. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    I don't know about anyone else, but I'd love to see a photo of your bookshelf!

:D

10. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Have 29 shelfs right now. #30 in the planning.

Marcel Massini

11. Ferri

Ferri Formula Junior

Dec 26, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hugo Garritsen
    Marcel is right in his opinion on the 8 Cylinder book. The quality of the pictures is really disappointing, they look like they are taken from a newspaper. I haven't got the time to read the book but with Marcel's comment in mind I'll think I don't have to rush.

Regards, Hugo

PS. Marcel just post one of the 29 shelves, pick your favorite one ;-)

12. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Marcel,
    I really love Emotion Ferrari and have not heard about a second edition yet. Is there a significant difference, which justifies purchasing the second edition, if one has already the first?

Best Regards
    Martin

13. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    #1963 tomgt, Feb 10, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I'm wondering the same thing. I've really enjoyed the first edition but would buy the second only if there is significant new information.

Jack

15. arthobald

arthobald F1 Rookie

Jun 20, 2006
    Besancon 25
    Full Name:
    Nicolas JEANNIER
    It is not a second edition, it is a second volume, so all new pictures.

75 euros for hardcover, 95 euros for the dust cover to go aside the first volume. I took the cheapest.

16. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Thank you, Nicolas. i looked on the publisher's (Louche) web site and only saw the first volume. Can you direct me to a way to purchase volume 2?

Thank you.

Jack

17. arthobald

arthobald F1 Rookie

Jun 20, 2006
    Besancon 25
    Full Name:
    Nicolas JEANNIER
    I got mine in Retromobile where it was just released so I guess it is only a matter of weeks until it is on sale on the site.

Next Emotion is Citroen. Then maybe Lancia.

18. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Jack,
    the only shop I find it so far, is:

Emotion Ferrari, Tome 2, GT-Sport et Prototypes 1949-1972 - Librairie Motors Mania

And ebay... from the same shop.
    I ordered from them in the past. Fast and reliable.

Best Regards from Germany
    Martin

19. Sempre_gilles

Sempre_gilles Formula 3

Jul 11, 2003
    Full Name:
    AdK
    Thank you for this info. Personally I can live with less than stellar layout, but poor quality of pictures is more annoying (why bother to include illustrations at all if they are not an addition to the text?).

From an author who is working for F Classiche (and therefore has access to all the original sources) I expect deeper information indeed. In my opinion there is a market for a good detailed overview of the V8 engines, starting with an in-depth description of the original Jano design for Lancia and then step by step explaining all the modifications and updates (including excellent illustrations). Preferably also including an overview of all the chassis experiments of that time (all mixes of Superqualos with original D50) and a clear explanation why these changes / modifications worked (or why not). That story would be interesting from a technical point of view but also provide a fascinating insight in the daily operations of a fifties top line F1 team.

It is a shame, this book seems a missed opportunity.

20. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
  21. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Yes, there is Volume Two. A brand new book, nothing to do with Volume One. I too purchased it at Retromobile last week, directly from Maurice Louche's stand. It is thinner than #1 and the picture and printing quality is less good. The most important change (for me) however is that NO chassis numbers are mentioned anymore.
    Identification of the photos in Volume One was mostly done by the late Jean Sage, he put the chassis numbers to the captions and it was very accurate.
    I guess this source is now missing (I own the Jean Sage Archives in the meantime) and therefore Maurice Louche chose to not add any chassis numbers at all.
    Still worth buying Volume Two but please expect much less than from Volume One.

Just my 2 cents.

Marcel Massini

22. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Thank you. Will buy a copy.

Best Regards
    Martin

23. trashidelek!

trashidelek! Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    I bought a copy away, but I now realize that Marcel's review really is spot on. The reproduction quality of the black and white photos is low and the color ones look like they came out of a decade old ink jet printer. Unlike the first book, it is also entirely in French. Taken as a whole, I find this second volume much less compelling than the first book.

24. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Hi, Marc. Now I regret buying the book. ;)

25. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Really? Basically Marc is correct, but I like it anyway for the content and atmosphere of the pictures.
    Would have preferred the copy with the dust cover, so it would better suit Vol.1, but this is not worth €20.00 premium.

Best Regards
    Martin