Two "longest" flights | FerrariChat

Two "longest" flights

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by BubblesQuah, Feb 13, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BubblesQuah

BubblesQuah F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte
    I booked a trip this week to fly to Beijing and back home out of Shanghai.

I just realized the two flights are a "longest" of some type.

Detroit - Beijing on Delta is the longest scheduled A330-200 route in the world. 6,631 miles.

Shanghai - Detroit on Delta, currently a 777-200LR but will be a 747-400 when I fly in April, is the longest nonstop flight operating in/out of Detroit. 7,137 miles.

I was hoping to book through Chicago where American is operating the 787 to both Beijing and Shanghai, but it didn't work out.

Should I make sure all of my affairs are in order before boarding the Airbus? :D

2. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    The only affair I would make sure of is that I was booked in 1st/Business.

3. BubblesQuah

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte
    :D

Meh. $619 r/t vs. over $9,000 r/t - I'll "rough" it.

Travelling with my daughter and her friend, I booked one of the few only 3 seat rows in the A330, and we have a 3 seat row on the 747 - so at least we can take turns being in the center. :)

4. BubblesQuah

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte
    I just noticed that the PVG-DTW flight will be the longest scheduled 747-400 flight in the world once the equipment changes from 777-200LR in March. Currently the longest 747-400 flight is United PVG-ORD.

So both flights will be the longest scheduled in the world for their respective equipment type.

5. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    :eek:

That's friggin' ludicrous!

Having said that, it was something similar for SFO -> LHR back when I was doing it a lot. Fortunately, doing it regularly often meant upgrades to business, and a couple of times into first, which was nice. :) I can't remember now, but the first class fare was just completely *insane*!

Just looked on BA's site for that route for a return about a month out, returning two weeks later;

Economy; $652
    Premium economy; $929
    Business; $3729

Can't even get a quote for first!.... But my guess is well over $10k.....

Cheers,
    Ian

6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    For a flight that long, I'd say that Premium Economy was probably the best value for money.

7. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

I did that when I went over for my sons wedding last year. It was pretty good, & the additional space certainly justified it for me.

Used to (sometimes) justify Club when I was working as I could get off the plane & go to work - Was a "consultant" and they charged *lots* for my time. Economy needed a day to "recover", so it was pretty much a wash.

Cheers,
    Ian

8. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Holy cripes! I've done 10+ hour jaunts to Asia and South Africa, and those were brutal enough. Hope you're one of those folks who can sleep on a plane, Bubbles. Safe travels!
    T

9. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    10mg of Valium and two beers before boarding and you'll sleep the whole way even if you're stuck between two fatties in coach!

10. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    While reading these comments of the " comforts" of modern travel I couldn't resist thinking of the 314 Clipper with a dining salon, a library, comfortable berths, and room to wander around between them. Seventy four pax with room to WALK someplace. Progress?

11. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Flying to Paris via Zurich (Swissair 1st Class) this Summer with my wife and our 2 boys.
    Used Centurion to buy the tickets that were about $10500 each.
    Got the deal "2 for 1" so it cost me $5k per person now.
    Flew with Swissair before and it was the only time I was able to sleep on the plane.
    Speaking of long flights, my 18 y old son flew 2 weeks ago to Kathmandu on Etihad.
    Chicago to Abu Dhabi 13 hours, 1 hr layover and 4.5 hr to Kathmandu.
    Bought him Economy for $1600, and offered $1100 for upgrade to Business which was accepted(on Etihad it is like 1st Class on BA or Lufthansa).
    Unbeatable deal.

12. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I very definitely hear you! It must have been fabulous to do a "round the world" trip on such planes back in those days

It was (obviously) before my time, but some of the "re-creations" I've seen on film of the "luxury" offered look awesome.

Almost akin to the "Orient Express" style of travel. Except that was (a little, given the BS these days) slower.

Closest thing these days may just be the "luxury" trains that run around the country - I'm trying to justify a trip up thru the Rockies to Chicago right now - Stop off & do some snowboarding in Tahoe, jump back on the next one, etc.

Maybe I've just spent too many hours on airplanes, but short of first class, I try & avoid it as much as possible. ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

13. BubblesQuah

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte
    Nope. We did this same trip in 2014, Beijing only via Houston though. 14 hours is a long time to sit in a seat in a single stretch. I might have nodded off for 30 minutes.

14. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Used to regularly due LAX-BKK on Thai Airways. Non-stop on A340-500. I heard rumors of their being a coach class. Booked a 17:40 to BKK but it regularly arrived early.

Jeff

15. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    :D

Sweet! (Nice airline too.)

Cheers,
    Ian

16. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    How many hours is that Miserable Flight?

17. BubblesQuah

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte
    LAX-BKK? About 18 hours if I remember correctly.

18. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    17:30 west bound was the airline schedule but not all of that was in the air.

Even in Royal Silk the butt gave out before the flight was over from sitting in the seat.

Duration was significantly shorter flying back.

Singapore Airlines had their LAX non-stop flight that was about 40 minutes longer. Never did that one.

Both airlines lost money with the runs.

Jeff

19. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I was thinking about long flights and I remember that the PBY5 could go from sun up
    to sun up the next day . Using higher math, I figured that was 24 hours.

20. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1 ;)

That's at least a part of the problem though..... Seemed I was *always* stuck between two fatties..... One had "irritable bowel syndrome" and the other needed to pee every ten minutes! :eek:

"OK, please let me sit by the window....."
    "Oh no, couldn't possibly swap seats....."

;)

Cheers,
    Ian

21. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
  22. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    That one from Dubai to Panama City is 7463 nm, a fur piece. Circumference of the earth is 21,600 nm, and that is a good chunk of it.

23. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

24. BubblesQuah

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte
    All 777 200LR or 300ER except for the Qantas and Emirates (except the Panama City) which are A380's.

25. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    #25 redhead, Feb 14, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
    I was in SE Asia last year traveling between jobs, when I got a phone call in Malaysia saying I got the job I wanted and they wanted me back quicker than my RT would allow. I rebooked on AA from HK to DFW which was 8119 miles and 15 hours, in a middle seat, but thankfully in Premium Economy. It was still brutal. The 3 hour flight back to San Diego seemed to be a 30 minute flight....slept the entire way.