Buying a Ferrari on Ebay. | FerrariChat

Buying a Ferrari on Ebay.

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by RAMMER, Feb 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    Greetings,I would like to get some feedback on owners that bought their Ferraris on Ebay. Did everything go according to plan? Is their anyway that you can protect yourself before dishing out serious money on a car that may not be in the condition described? Finally, can you save a lot by buying online? Thanks in advance for the info.

2. vref

vref Karting

Dec 18, 2003
    1 Hr North of Housto
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Before you spend big buck on a Ferrari, Buy a $300 airline ticket and touch the car. A lot of Junk of Ebay, However there are some keepers also.

3. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Or $750, when you have to go to a podunk little town to check it out. ;) But vref is absolutely right, when spending this kind of money, you absolutely have to physically "kick the tires." That being said, eBay can be a useful tool for both buyer and seller in many ways. As a buyer it allows for:

(1) Wide access to inventory from sellers all over the country
    (2) Access to a seller's feedback rating, which is one indicator of their trustworthiness (this should always be cross-checked)
    (3) Multiple pictures and a detailed description to be posted

Most buyers of high-end cars use eBay for what it is best for -- a great source of inventory -- but then consummate the deal off-line.

4. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Ebay is not so hot. I was high bidder on a 360 coupe, the seller kept insisting on a $10k deposit. When I set up a drop off at the dealer, the dealer informed me the car had been sold with the same mileage 18 months earlier. Fortunately no money changed hands. For the record, count on Ebay to do nothing when a scam shows up. They are cowards and will not help a bidder in any way. Any deal over a few grand really cannot be done by point and click. Ebay is primarily an online adverstising site for deals done off line. So much for the internet.

5. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I bought my 78 308GTS online. I was as nervous as a wh*** in church!! It turns out that the sellers were actually great people to deal with. They were very upfront about the shortcomings of the car. After all it is 25 plus years old! I hired an inspector to look the car over...now that was NOT money well spent. Cheesy report and nowhere near thorough enough to satisfy me at all. If I ever do it again, I will either look at it myself, or do it through an independent third party (like a reputable dealer). Just remember that price should not be the only (or most important for that matter) consideration when buying a car such as a Ferrari. Also remember that you CAN back out of a deal if the car is way off base from what was advertised! And lastly remember that the sellers (if they are legit) have just as much to lose as you and may be nervous too. I only sent my deposit after checking them out and being satisfied they were who they claimed to be. Then things fell right into place.

6. F360@20

F360@20 Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    San Diego
    What type of Ferrari are you looking at?
    If you want a 360 or a 550, 575 I would say it would better suite you all around to go to a Ferrar dealership.
    1. You know the car does excist.
    2. You will build a relationship with the dealership.
    3. You have that connection what re sale time comes.
    4. You will get all the records and info on the car.

But if you are going for a older car then I would say use ebay as a way to track the car down. Then come ask some of the guys here advice on it. They will give you BY FAR the best and most honest advice you could get anywhere.

7. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    I bought my 78 308 GTS Euro off ebay from the original owner. i flew out there after the auction to do the inspection, i did a compression test and put the car on a lift and inspected every inch. turned out the car was a creampuff original paint car with few miles on it. i paid for the car and it was delivered a few weeks later, no glitches or mishaps. you just have to do it your self, or hire someone to do an inspection. while i was out looking at the car, i set up appointments to look at many other 308s and 328s in the LA area.
    john

8. lapeter

lapeter Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2002
    SunValley ID&Kapalua
    Full Name:
    Al LaPeter
    I met the seller of my 1996 355 spider on Ebay in the spring of 2003 and I bought it after the auction. I had a PPI from a F dealer and got on a plane and picked up the car. Perfect transaction. I would buy from an ebay seller again. If I were to bid on ebay, it would be contingent upon a PPI and my physical inspection. An honest seller will let you do that. BTW- the price was much better than other cars I could find.

9. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    I bought my '77 GTB off e-bay.

I set everything up with the seller (small ind. dealer) in advance, including getting a copy of the title, and written bill of sale agreement that said if the car did not pass PPI (specifically compression check) the deal was off and he'd mail back my check.

I used a check for the deposit, and flew out the next day. This way, if all came unglued, I could cancel payment on the check. I suppose a CC would also be a safe method for leaving a deposit so you could at least protest the charges.

The guy has sold several cars on e-bay and had good feedback. The shop that did the PPI was recommended by posters on f-chat.

Basically, cover all your bases before you agree to anything or the auction ends.

10. mondial85

mondial85 Karting

Sep 9, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Casey Slattery
    Thats so true about ebay being terrified to stand up to jerks. If your having problems with a deal your completly on your own.
    Sometimes a bad deal is in black/white and you know to stay away from it (ie. new account, 1st item in their account, its an enzo or F40 or some other high line ferrari, very few or no photos, the pic looks like it came out of a magazine, ect). I just go by the rule that if the deal looks to good to be true..it is. There are a lot of very shady, dishonest and scummy people in the word and Ebay is their breeding ground. That being said, there are deals to be found. Personally, I'll probably never buy a car off ebay because im to tight...dont want to shell out the $3-700 to visit a car that might not exist or is a piece of junk. Im content to wait until something just right comes along w/in a 6 hour driving distance.

11. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I bought my car on ebay. Ebay is just like everything else - If you do your homework & get a good PPI, you should be OK. There are scammers everywhere - Ebay is no different - Just another form of advertising. Just don't rush into anything - Don't buy something without doing a PPI for instance just because the auction is ending.

12. colo348

colo348 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Rammer,
    I did not buy my new '91 Testarossa directly off eBay, but I did find it there and then called the selled directly. I think it's a good resource, but I would not buy any of the cars, even after winning a bid unless you go see it, have the service history, title check and a PPI @ a Ferrari shop. But this is what you'd do anyway. Good luck.
    Jim

13. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Actually, that is what I did also - Called directly & then bought it "off" ebay, so I had more time.

14. groovzilla

groovzilla Karting

Nov 28, 2003
    seattle, wa.
    Full Name:
    william
    whenever buying a car on ebay, or online, one should no doubt fly anywhere to see it in person and have a complete buyers inspection including leakdown and compression check......

***lots of people selling cars on ebay are doing so because they can't be seen in person and because they have lots to hide...

i found 3 cars in the bay area that looked/sounded good...only one of them turned out to be anything close to the description...

a few months later i found another good car and almost skipped the airfare/trip but decided i better taker the trip...the 1979 308GTS, which i found online, turned out to be an excellent example...compression was 185 straight accross and the leakdown was less than 4% straight across...fully documented well serviced car with all original paint never an accident...

...but had i not had found a car that was honestly described i would have been extremely disappointed when it arrived had i not taken the trip to check it out in person..

william

15. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I bought mine off ebay too. I agree with this 100%.
    Mine was a very low end F car, yet I still had a PPI. I would never buy totally sight unseen. And if it were more expensive, I'd fly out to look. Never be pressured by the end of an auction time line.
    One thing I have learned, is that the seller's idea of "perfect" or even "good" is usually of a lower standard than mine.

16. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    Makes a lot of sense.....Hows your 308 doing?

17. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    Thanks for writing, I saw the picture of your Mondial....looks great. Did you have a shop in the area where the car was located do the PPI? Hows the car been; has it been reliable?

18. benedict

benedict Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ben

I did the same thing. "Found" it on ebay, then negotiated privately with the seller. I did not look at the car since it was 2000 miles away but seller was a reputable dealer, sent me plenty of photos from every conceivable angle, I then did a full blown PPI with an unbiased Ferrari dealer, and even then I still put everything on my Amex card so if worse came to worse I could dispute it. Everything went smooth and love the car!

19. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    I don't think it matters where you buy your Ferrari...
    showroom, individual, internet,
    as long as you do your homework.

I would never buy any Ferrari, without first doing a PPI!

20. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Hi: I located a company that does PPI's for used cars, but not Ferrari specific, which is OK. As it turned out, they were very accurate in their assessment. Also, I asked the seller to fax me copies of records and where he had it serviced. I spoke to the mechanic who did HIS PPI, in CT. Turns out he was selling it after only 8 months, so I did have concerns. Bill Pollard was the mechanic. He spent a 1/2 hour on the phone with me, and even pulled out his notes. The car sounded OK. Also, the seller agreed, in writing, that if when I got the car I didn't like it, I could get a refund. Spent lots of time talking with him. Bought the car and have been happy since. So you see, like most people, I used e-bay more as a way to find a car, and not used to bid sight unseen and without inspection before auction ends. Having said all that, if I have a choice I would much rather SEE a car in person. No substitute for that.
    The Mondial is a great driver. They say the 8 is slow, and I guess it is (at least off the line). But just about any Ferrari in this price range and age- or even double the price- is “slow” by modern car standards. It is still plenty fun, and I paid a LOW price. Only had one problem that effected driving and that was a fuse that made it hard to start when warm. Other than that, overall very good.
    I will say make sure it has had up to date service, including major, if due, and doesn’t need lots of work. All you have to see is the 25,000 f car for sale with owner claiming to have put 30,000 worth of work into it to know how much it costs to maintain the cars. I believe it. These things are more expensive to properly maintain than buy.
    Good luck
    Sam

21. 512tr

512tr Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    montreal
    Full Name:
    tony
    Excuse for my ignorance, what does PPI stand for? thanks

22. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001