Anyone drive a Grand Cherokee for a dd? | FerrariChat

Anyone drive a Grand Cherokee for a dd?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by secondsole, Feb 17, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. secondsole

secondsole Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2013
    O-H!
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I have a 458 in the toybarn, looking for a decent DD, and looking at a nicely equipped Grand Cherokee, OR, for the same money and older model BMW X6...The Jeeps are tricked out with every bell and whistle.

LMK thoughts, thanks!

2. boeckman2003

boeckman2003 Karting

Oct 7, 2015
    X5 is the perfect DD. I found the X6 to be overhyped. just my $0.02

2012/2013 are great buys.

3. clutchplate

clutchplate Rookie

Dec 16, 2005
    I rented one for a week in Park City last December. Very capable in the snow, more so than my Range Rover. Comfortable and quiet. I could drive one as a DD.

4. JGTCNSX

JGTCNSX Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I rented a decked out one in Switerland through Hertz. I hated it! Most notable, it has the worst gear shift on the planet! I was having to do a u turn in a tight spot...try getting it in reverse quickly, no such thing. The gear shift was an epic failure in their development. Go test drive one and you will see, it has good power, bad handling for its power, poor brakes, crap ergonomics. I was in the Alps and doing spirited drive through Sussten pass and it was not the best choice in many regards. Normal driving it's decent at best. The X6 would have been first choice but none available...Buy the X6 and don't look back! Been looking at the X6M for some time now.

5. Jeanfrancois

Jeanfrancois Karting

Dec 31, 2008
    Qatar/Dubai/Quebec
    Owned an Srt8 which was a real blast, especially after putting a supercharger in, and also a Grand Cherokee Overland.

Other SUV owned or leased included Mercedes ML and G, Range Rover Autobiography, BMW X6 M.

Overall, I would say that the Grand Cherokee is an excellent daily driver and excellent in the snow. The 8 speed transmission was really smooth. Excellent bang for the buck when compared to the other listed above. If I bought another Jeep, the SRT 8 would be a must for me.

Most fun to drive was the G63 and the best luxury daily driver was definitely the Range Autobiography.

6. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    We had a Grand Cherokee and it was great in our snowy Michigan winter. Very reliable, always made it where we were going. Had 85,000 miles when we traded it, never needed anything but normal maintenance (oil changes), brakes were even still fine

7. 10FerrariCATX

10FerrariCATX Karting

Jul 24, 2015
    Have you considered a Cayenne. I have an '08 Cayenne Turbo that's my daily DD and I could not be any happier. You can also find a low mileage one for very reasonable as well. I rented a jeep Cherokee like the previous poster and hated it as well.

The Cayenne has a fantastic ride with adjustable ride height for any conditions. At any rate, whatever you buy you still have your 458 to enjoy too!

8. monacodibaviera

monacodibaviera Karting

Apr 30, 2015
    NYC
    Full Name:
    CD
    Have a Cayenne and a Cherokee currently so direct comparison. Cayenne my favorite SUV ever (after X5 and Range Rover) but it's also twice as much as a Cherokee even in base version - but more than twice as good IMO. The Grand Cherokee is a reliable car and very economic everything considered. However, things that really bother me is the gear shift knob that is so over engineered it simply doesn't work properly and, worse, the headlights are a joke. It's like driving at night with daytime running lights.

Cayenne solid car. I have a base V6 Platinum edition which comes preloaded with every good option. Turbos are wicked fast but it's an SUV so what pay the 80k surcharge for. New Cayenne S is a V6 turbo (no more V8) so even that upgrade isn't worth it. I'd stick to a base V6 which has been nothing but good to me in daily driving or get a 2 year old V8 pre owned Cayenne S or even better GTS.

X5 is really nice also. Just stay away from old Range Rover pre latest model. Reliability is a joke.

I mean drive them back to back one day and see yourself. Hope this helps.

9. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Take an X5M. Then install Dinan software for more boost. You will love it

10. boeckman2003

boeckman2003 Karting

Oct 7, 2015
    +1 I have an X5 and am ordering another one soon. Love it. The ultimate driving machine when you're not in the ultimate ultimate driving machine (your Ferrari).

11. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    #11 arizonaitalian, Feb 22, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
    I have a 2013 Grand Cherokee Overland. Love it. I got the two-tone interior (brown and black leather with brown wood trim) and the interior gets compliments all the time. Pano sunroof too. Reclining rear seats are great. Heated and cooled seats are too. Loaded MSRP was around $47k and getting 10-15% off is doable. By the book maint. has been under $500 for the first 37,000 miles so far and nothing has broken. The post 2012 MBZ-influenced GC's are fantastic imho. They punch way above their weight in build quality and design.

This one is my fourth. I've had one at all times since 1997 (when I bought my first house and got my first dog). Having an SUV is a must for me.

I DD'd it in SF Bay Area for a couple of years...worked great at that.

I don't pretend to need more than the 360HP the Jeep has in my SUV DD. I have a Ferrari and Maserati for fun/sports/track cars, so this SUV is supposed to be, well, an SUV. But then I am one of the people that thinks an "M" version of an SUV is an oxymoron and began the fade of BMW as drivers cars (I owned many from 1984 to 1997, never again).