Ferrari 599/612 - Key Fob Shell Replacement. (very well priced) | FerrariChat

Ferrari 599/612 - Key Fob Shell Replacement. (very well priced)

Discussion in '612/599' started by 360modena2003, Feb 17, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gentleman Prefer 599's

Nov 3, 2012
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Amit
    The condition of my key was a really annoyance from the beginning, it wasn't that poor but wasn't a reflection of the immaculate condition of my F599. At first I got my Ferrari dealer to re-paint the "red" of the key which a number of customers requested. It was ok but chipped easily. I even considered a new key as I had a credit with FNE. My Dealer received a new key from the factory but couldn't code it and we gave up! I saw these recently and bought one, it was very good quality and although its the newer design for 458 (silver prancing horse on the backside instead of ceramic Ferrari logo) it is so much better having new rubber buttons as it made the "keys on the table" experience rather poor. I then bought a second key cover which although was still good quality the colour was shade off, I took this up with the same supplier and he followed up to know avail with the Chinese manufacturer. I reckon the first batch was a test and now they are mass producing due to demand.

I have an even better solution that houses both the key and the (NavTrak UK) alarm fob. I will post pictures if interested. Some (including my girlfriend) can't understand that the condition of some rubber on my keys makes me crazy but I tell her "it's a Ferrari thang!". She also thinks my obsession with Fchat is weird and she refers to my time logged on the Ipad before bed as my support group! Anyone else get this kind of nonsense? What she doesn't know is she will probably be part exchanged long before the Ferrari ever will!
    God, Country, Ferrari!!!

2. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    Fantastic, yes, I have the same issue :) Please post pictures. Who cut the key for you, or did you reuse the old one?

Sent from my HUAWEI P7-L10 using Tapatalk

3. BJJ

BJJ Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2014
    Probably the best approach will be to simply use the two enamelled covers and the rubber part and to replace the old ones with these parts. A matter of a few minutes and you can change the batteries by this occasion as well. If the Chinese manufacturer made the copy sufficiently exact in its components .... ;).

Cheers, Bernhard

P.S. One of mine as well looks really inacceptable :D. The spare one was (and is) like new, fortunately.

P.P.S.: Take the old and crappy but original ones to the service. Ferrari is entitled to immediately smash any unauthorized copy becoming evident. They might return the serviced car to you, but without keys ... *looool*.

4. aintveen

aintveen Rookie

Oct 22, 2015
    Duesseldorf/Germany
    Full Name:
    Andreas Intveen
    #5 aintveen, Feb 17, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
    I have asked my painter to do it: € 20,- for 2 pcs.
    Perfect Job/Quality. And you can choose the colour...
    You can easily dismantle the keys to prepare for the painter.

Regards,

Andreas

5. odf911

odf911 Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2013
    London UK (Chelsea)
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Pictures please!

6. Gentleman Prefer 599's

Nov 3, 2012
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Amit
    #7 Gentleman Prefer 599's, Feb 20, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Sorry Chaps for the late reply to your requests for pictures as I have been travelling. Please find attached images of both new key casing with attached alarm fob in cover and the matching leather key sleeve which provides full protection (bought from ebay/korean made very good quality!). Also see the disassembled key and how easy three piece change is. I kept the blade and electronics and changed the shell either side. As you can see by picture original key even after repaint doesn't look as good. Lastly just to show the colour difference between the first key (darker red one) and the second key that arrived. See my original post above. Still a vast improvement on the original key paint/rubber. For you guys outside the UK, Ferrari's here come with an ADR fob which should be technically kept seperate from the keys but frankly are to easy to loose that way... Trust me, learned the hard hard way! This way a nice way to keep dafe and the Keys on the table appeal increased dramatically. Btw no slur meant to Mr Bond and his cover shot on the Aston Martin Magazine... Just thought the shot looked good... Who knows maybe on the future? Better an Italian Ferrari than the previous Bavarian Brand!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Gentleman Prefer 599's

Nov 3, 2012
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Amit
    #8 Gentleman Prefer 599's, Feb 20, 2016
  8. Gentleman Prefer 599's

Nov 3, 2012
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Amit
    #9 Gentleman Prefer 599's, Feb 20, 2016
  9. Gentleman Prefer 599's

Nov 3, 2012
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Amit
    #10 Gentleman Prefer 599's, Feb 20, 2016
  10. odf911

odf911 Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2013
    London UK (Chelsea)
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Got a couple of these as well! They look nice.

11. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    Fantastic! Thank you

12. demus_uk

demus_uk Rookie

May 5, 2017
    Hi

I recently got a 612 and need to solve the tracker fob and key "thing". Like the pouch, could you provide a link where you got it from along with a link for replacement key shell as mine look a little tired.

Cheers

ps sorry just noticed the age of the last post! hopefully you can still provide. :)

13. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    There was only one key with my 612 when I purchased it. I bought one of these Chinese made keys and found a local key shop that was willing to cut the key. They did a test run on a Fiat key that they had in stock (same key blank). I now have another key that fits (+ the Fiat key). Now the trick is to reprogram my car to accept both my existing key and the new key. I have a Leonardo clone program that is listed as able to do it but it wipes out the original program first and then reprograms for both the keys. I haven't pulled the trigger yet as I don't want to find out that I have no working keys and now need to go to Ferrari for a $1,000+/- reprogram.

Melvok likes this.
  14. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Are you successful with the program? I just could not find my second 458 key....I have my codes....

15. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The Ferrari shops do the same thing with new keys, wiping out the programming and then reprogramming the system to accept all keys (up to 7).

16. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I haven't tried it yet. I will be removing my dash this winter and doing some other work so I may try it then.