Viva Mexico - bringing #854 back to life | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Viva Mexico - bringing #854 back to life

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by lbird, Aug 3, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. The Surveyor

The Surveyor Karting

Nov 11, 2015
    Newcastle, England
    Full Name:
    Paul Spensley
    #101 The Surveyor, Feb 15, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    #102 Mexico074, Feb 15, 2016
    Hello Paul/Bart...

Attached is a not so great picture of the interior of my Mexico.
    You can probably just make out the Radio Box.. I used what I
    believe to be a period correct BlauPunkt radio. I don't use the
    radio much, as I prefer listening to the engine, and also to keep
    an ear open for any dreadful sounds.

If you both are interested, I might be able to remove the box,
    get some better pictures, and provide some dimensions of the
    box. I am pretty sure this is an original radio box!

Let me know.. Just be aware it might take me some time!

Mike
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    I will try to take a picture of my radio box, which is obviously right now out of the car for Bart. Will post it here, so no need to dismantle yours before, Mike....

4. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    #104 lbird, Feb 22, 2016
    And now to something completely different - the gearbox. I was thinking about replacing the ZF gearbox with something more modern to avoid the enormous rebuilding costs, a Ford T5 perhaps. But finally i came to my senses and it will stay all original. The ZF S5-20 it will be then. The box i have came from a car which had an engine fire, so i was very curious what we would find inside the box. But apart from some residue from the seals and gaskets everything seemed to be fine and dandy. No broken teeth or missing parts, with the exception of a minimal piece missing from one tooth of the reverse cog - which is no problem. With the help of the ZF manuals (available as PDF) we disassembled the box. New gasket sets can be had new from ZF - for a price, of course :). The bearings were mostly standard, only one bearing had to be slightly modified by the manufacturer. ZF will charge you a hand and an arm for them, so be smart and get them from the big bearing suppliers...

The only part missing was the sliding rear flange connection to the drive shaft, but thanks to a gentleman advertising S5-20 parts on ebay that problem was solved (thank you Marc). We are in the process of reassembling.

The only missing part is now the gearbox switch for the rear drive, which was burned. Does somebody know which part it is and where i can get a replacement? I doubt that this is a very special type of switch, but i can't find any reference numbers. The switch from the bigger 325 gearbox does not fit. Any help is appreciated like always...

5. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    #105 lbird, Feb 24, 2016
  6. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    This thread is all about love for Maserati !! You will not be disappointed when it is done. I have had Ferrari for six years now, but I have to admit that Maserati tend to stir my real car nut emotions to a greater extent... You have done a very very impressive job! How do you have that patience is my first thoughts!! Congrats. Erik

7. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    #107 lbird, Feb 29, 2016
    Another small update: I just picked up the wheels from my paint shop. They derusted and rotofinished the badly rusted Borrani aluminium/steel wheels and finished the steel part with clean paint. I hope it lasts, but the result looks good to me - check out the before/after picture. I will put QP1 wheels with Maserati hubcaps on the car initially. I like that much better than wire wheels or the Ghibli wheels, at least until i have seen them on the car :)
    Opinions on these wheels are welcome, i have no experience whatsoever with them...

Oh, and another note: My spare Mexico 4.7 engine from #204 has been sold and picked up last weekend....

8. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello lbird...

Your wheels look great! I am looking forward to seeing how the QP1 wheels
    will look on your car.. My preference was always the wire wheels, so I will
    be very interested in seeing this...

Keep up the excellent work, and always keep us posted! :)

Mike

9. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    Pretty amazing transformation there, wow!

I've always liked the Mexico on wires, but it would be a nice change to see something else, given that they fit the car. Looking forward to seeing how they look.

10. bj69

bj69 Karting

Mar 4, 2009
    Dear fellow Mexico owners,

My car has its original carpet, but due to water leaks in the past, some parts have gone bad. I'd rather not buy new carpet but find some used original carpet pieces that i can use to replace the bad parts.

If anyone replaced his Mexico's carpets and has some original useable piece left lying around, please contact me.

(Black needed, but would consider dying other colors to black)

ALSO - would anyone know if there are any other car models that used the exact same carpet?

thanks,
    Bart
    AM112 626

11. The Surveyor

The Surveyor Karting

Nov 11, 2015
    Newcastle, England
    Full Name:
    Paul Spensley
    Bart

I have about 90% of the original old carpets out of mine, stored away in case anybody wanted a 'pattern' set. It's tan, not black but what bits are you looking for as I may have them and would be happy to send post to you.

Paul

12. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    Paul, would it be possible to fabricate a paper pattern template set or something similar? I would need to have my carpet remanufactured for my car and i have no sample for the size and shape of the pieces at all. Or does somebody know a source for ready made Mexico carpet sets in black (which i doubt)?

13. The Surveyor

The Surveyor Karting

Nov 11, 2015
    Newcastle, England
    Full Name:
    Paul Spensley
    I'll have to see what I've got and how much paper I can find. Certainly feasible and I'll mark-up what edges are full or part bound.

There are loads of bits and loads of binding needed and it doesn't follow the sketch shown in the parts manual either!

Paul

14. wilde

wilde Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2009
    France
    Hi Olaf, I must have the pattern made in cardboard stored somewhere in my warehouse. I can ship them to Germany.
    I also have the radio box. I will take dimensions. The part is made in fiberglass and leather.

15. bj69

bj69 Karting

Mar 4, 2009
    Paul,

Thanks for responding. I will send you a direct message.

thanks,
    Bart

16. The Surveyor

The Surveyor Karting

Nov 11, 2015
    Newcastle, England
    Full Name:
    Paul Spensley
    Yes, email received Bart. I've sent some photographs of the carpet I have, it's shabby but it looks a complete set.

Cheers

Paul

17. bj69

bj69 Karting

Mar 4, 2009
    Look on kleinanzeigen.ebay.de, search for zf s5 20, and find a dutch guy named Marc who is advertising parts. I've visited him, sold him left over parts from a s5 20 and i know he has parts from a few more boxes. With a bit of luck he'll have the part you need. If you can't find him then send me a direct message and i will share his phone numer and email address.

Good luck,
    Bart

18. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    Hi Bart,
    you are a bit late :)
    I already bought the part from Marc weeks ago and the gearbox is completely restored and in pristine nick - it is a small community!
    And btw: I got the missing rear drive switch directly from ZF, they have a modernized alternative for the NLA older switch which fits perfectly. If anybody is interested i can post the details...

19. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello lbird...

Yes, please post the details for the alternative switch..

Mike

20. wilde

wilde Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2009
    France
  21. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    #121 lbird, May 2, 2016
    @mike: Here is a picture of the new type of switch. The ZF guys told me that the old switch is not very durable, because until now most of the fragile plastic parts should be broken. This solution should be much better. The cost for the parts directly from the classic center of ZF is about 100 Euros. This switch fits the Maserati ZFS5-20 as well as the pagoda ZFS5-20....

22. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    Another question: Does anybody have a picture or schematics about the gearbox mounting of the S5-20 gearbox? I have never seen it attached to a car, i will probably have to remanufacture the mount, which should not be too difficult. Any help, picture or measurements will be appreciated big time....

A little addendum: We attached the new switch to the gearbox, works as designed.

23. wilde

wilde Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2009
    France
  24. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    #124 19633500GT, May 6, 2016
  25. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    #125 lbird, May 13, 2016
    At the moment we are completing the front parts of my Mexico in the final preparation phase before painting the car. While trying out the lights and the various chrome parts i noticed something regarding the grill. On the inner side of the lights a little chrome strip is very often visible. Is that an optical illusion or is there really a small curved chrome part (see picture for clarification)? If yes, how does it look and how is it attached? I checked and there are no signs of screwholes or similar traces in that area, and i can't find any reference for such a part....

CU lbird